Will we have enough players to field a team?

In looking at the scholarship distribution on GoVols247 and subtracting the players I know are gone, I count about 83 players on scholarship, plus we have only used 20 out of 25 for the 2021 class. Using those 5 would put us at 88, which is 3 over the limit. I may have counted a couple of players I wasn't sure of, but I did not count anyone in the portal and I did not count DeAngelo Gibbs as I don't know his status.
Tennessee 2021 Football ScholarshipDistribution

assuming you've done the proper analysis, thanks for doing some maths

my hillbilly friends here sometimes let their inability, depression or ignorance get the best of them

maths - get some

I have no expectations of anything wrt Vol football anymore. If we win 6 or 8 games, well good. We’re not so bad after all. We win 2 or so, well we’re bad and it doesn’t really surprise us. I’ll give CJH a full four years. It may take longer. Coming into this disaster, he deserves at least that.

People who think we won't be able to field a team are definitely off, but so are the folks who are poo-pooing concerns about the roster. Banks said yesterday they were giving our long snapper reps at inside linebacker, that's a bad sign. Hopefully we can pick several up in the portal after spring.

Depth is the scary part. We complain about depth all the time but this time I think we're scary thin. We've lost quite a few to portal. Our defense is what scares me alot of guys playing alot of minutes. Who's our linebackers? Then we'll have an offense that wants to go fast. Do we have enough wideouts at depth? you'll need like 8 to run this type of offense. First string I think we'll be fine but its when the big boys need a break. The next string I think will struggle and that's killed us for over a decade.
We've been thinner. That's not saying this team isn't very thin on depth. Not many agree with me but coach Fulmer left our roster in what I consider worse shape than any after him. People forget just how void of talent that team he left Kiffin was. I can't think of any other time we had three walk-ons that were starters. One being your center that you can make a argument is the most important Oline position. Then the middle Linebacker that you can also make a argument is the most important position on D. The fact Kiffin was even in the position to pull off the bama win that year not once but twice is mind scratching.

We've been thinner. That's not saying this team isn't very thin on depth. Not many agree with me but coach Fulmer left our roster in what I consider worse shape than any after him. People forget just how void of talent that team he left Kiffin was. I can't think of any other time we had three walk-ons that were starters. One being your center that you can make a argument is the most important Oline position. Then the middle Linebacker that you can also make a argument is the most important position on D. The fact Kiffin was even in the position to pull off the bama win that year not once but twice is mind scratching.

Kiffin didn’t have a LS moved to LB because of zero depth. Kiffin had a dream compared to what Heupel is dealing with.

Kiffin didn’t have a LS moved to LB because of zero depth. Kiffin had a dream compared to what Heupel is dealing with.
We had two walk on O linemen starters. A walk on starting at MLB. Fulmer had some really nice class rankings before he left but they turned out to be horrible. I remember a stupid stat in the like the second game we played where it said how many freshmen were getting playing time. Fulmer left the roster in horrible shape Kiffin over performed his only year here. Crompton was painful to watch then all of sudden was good enough to get drafted. Coach H will have more talent returning on Offense then he has ever had at ucf or Missouri. I think he will come out the gates and surprise some people with putting up big points. Lord help our defense tho.

VN Store

Back