Will we be allowed to have Spring practice?

Depends on the Covid numbers, data, etc. I’m sure it’ll be a fly by the seat of your pants/last minute thing just like all of last season was. No way they make a decision now. WAY too early.
They just got done playing a 10 game season, with fans, with bowl games etc. I see no reason they can't have spring practice now I think you'll see some schools use this as a reason to get rid of spring games for good.

Dollar tree? We have one of the highest paid staffs in the country
Just because they are the highest paid does not mean they are good and worth it. Dont say you never spent a lot of money on something and get it home and a month or 2 later you found out it was not worth the money you gave for it.

the only thing keeping them from having spring is the cost of testing. There’s no TV money in the spring to offset the cost of testing so they can practice and isolate the positives to prevent an outbreak. JMO

Good question. Spring practice normally starts the first week of March so we have about 6 weeks. As a physician I received my second pfizer vaccine Monday (zero side affects btw). UTMC started vaccinating high risk individuals downtown yesterday. The Health Dept has been doing it for a few weeks now. With people now getting vaccines plus a few months without a super spreader event like a holiday makes me optimistic the numbers will drop (although they are not yet). Personally, if I was the NCAA I would probably tell teams to just push it back one month. Start April 1st instead of March 1st. That gives just a little more time for numbers to decline. Honestly, once we get all the medical and high risk people vaccinated I don't see why we can really start getting back to normal. Insanely fit college kids really are going to be fine if they get COVID. We have a couple of obese, high risk coaches, but there should be no issue with them crossing the river and getting the vaccine.

Just because they are the highest paid does not mean they are good and worth it. Dont say you never spent a lot of money on something and get it home and a month or 2 later you found out it was not worth the money you gave for it.
I’m sure what he was implying was that at Dollar Tree the items are crap and they are very inexpensive. Most know when they shop there you get what you pay for. This scenario is different. We are paying in the upper tier but the product has still fallen apart and isn’t well made. So more like a Sharper Image or Brookstone. One of those mall shops that are crazy expensive but still, everything you buy is made of plastic and won’t last.

the only thing keeping them from having spring is the cost of testing. There’s no TV money in the spring to offset the cost of testing so they can practice and isolate the positives to prevent an outbreak. JMO
Rapid tests cost from $1 to $5 each. Hard time believing cost is the driving factor

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
Iver read a few articles about the costs of these things. This one is from October 2020. I bet Auburn had spent close to$1 million by the end of the season. I also assume that UT wasn't far behind.

You are being redirected...
I would guess that's because of a couple reasons

- using the more expensive type of tests
- these cheap tests are now being classified as a medical device and insurance can jack the price. The US govt paid $5 ea for their large order and there are now cheaper options

I would guess that's because of a couple reasons

- using the more expensive type of tests
- these cheap tests are now being classified as a medical device and insurance can jack the price. The US govt paid $5 ea for their large order and there are now cheaper options
Possibly. Or it could be more related to the administration of the tests and results driven circumstances. Dedicated personnel, testing locations, quarantine/isolation areas and costs, etc.

They just got done playing a 10 game season, with fans, with bowl games etc. I see no reason they can't have spring practice now I think you'll see some schools use this as a reason to get rid of spring games for good.
ETSU didn't play any games last season but they have already started practice this year according to the local news, (Johnson City). Just how the NCAA plays into this, I have no idea at this time. Are there different rules for Div.1 and FCS schools? One thing for certain, UT needs all the practice it can get. D.Beckwith appears to be a beast at running back and it would be good to get a better than average OLine coach in here.

PS ETSU is a member of the Southern conference who opted to have a spring schedule so now I know.

Last edited:
I think the SEC is probably already working out a deal to get all athlete's, coaching and support staff vaccinated so all sports can go on in 2021.
Probably better to vaccinate the entire team and staff than spend the costly amount of continually testing 2-3 times a week.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM

VN Store

Back