Will we accept NIT?

We might be good enough to win one game but teams that can't handle the ball or shoot usually don't do very well in any tournament.

Vescovi is also the only person we got that can take a dribble at the top of the key and get to the rim...not James, Pons or Bowden because their dribble isn't strong enough which is surprising. Before Turner left, he was the only one that could do it.

I find funny about the NIT how people try to have it both ways. People will bash it as a "worthless" tournament and a joke, but then turn around and bash the team/coach if they lose in it. If it's such a waste of time, then you shouldn't care if we lose. I remember people used the NIT losses to bash Cuonzo Martin, right after bashing him for not making the NCAAT.

The NIT is what is is...basically more practice for teams that didn't make the NCAAT. Winning is nice but IMO it's hardly the biggest point of going. It's a chance to get more practice time, more real game experience for younger players, more chances to teams to gell, and gives the seniors at least one more time to put the uniform on (which that itself is probably the biggest worth it has). If we make it to Madison Square Garden, great, might as well win it. But if we don't, it's really not that big of a deal.

I'm saying all this to head off all the bellyaching some are going to do when we don't come home with an NIT Championship; of course it doesn't matter if we did win it all because then it will be "DERP YOU WON A WORTHLESS TOURNAMENT DERP DERP!"

Vescovi is also the only person we got that can take a dribble at the top of the key and get to the rim...not James, Pons or Bowden because their dribble isn't strong enough which is surprising. Before Turner left, he was the only one that could do it.

Bowden can but is better when coming off a screen.

Bowden can but is better when coming off a screen.

If he doesn't do it then he can't. Sure, we've seen him do it a few times this year when it's wide open but it's clear he is not comfortable with his handles in traffic.

I find funny about the NIT how people try to have it both ways. People will bash it as a "worthless" tournament and a joke, but then turn around and bash the team/coach if they lose in it. If it's such a waste of time, then you shouldn't care if we lose. I remember people used the NIT losses to bash Cuonzo Martin, right after bashing him for not making the NCAAT.

The NIT is what is is...basically more practice for teams that didn't make the NCAAT. Winning is nice but IMO it's hardly the biggest point of going. It's a chance to get more practice time, more real game experience for younger players, more chances to teams to gell, and gives the seniors at least one more time to put the uniform on (which that itself is probably the biggest worth it has). If we make it to Madison Square Garden, great, might as well win it. But if we don't, it's really not that big of a deal.

I'm saying all this to head off all the bellyaching some are going to do when we don't come home with an NIT Championship; of course it doesn't matter if we did win it all because then it will be "DERP YOU WON A WORTHLESS TOURNAMENT DERP DERP!"
I was at that game we lost to Middle Tennessee. He deserved some bashing for that. Tennessee didn't score a point in the final 7 minutes. That game was embarrassing.

The issue I have with Martin isn’t that he went to NIT and lost. He took a team with 3 NBA players and went to NIT and lost

Yeah, your kinda right, but right now we don’t have anybody because anyone with any sense is going to force SV right.

I've always liked the NIT as opposed to ending the season after the SECT elimination. 1985 was really exciting. The NCAAT field was smaller so it was a bit more prominent. Devoe's mentor, Bobby Knight, and Indiana beat TN in the semis at MSG. Then TN pounded Louisville in the 3rd place game. Louisville won the Natty a year later. It was probably the last year that TN won their last game and had an above average team.

1985 National Invitation Tournament - Wikipedia

I've always liked the NIT as opposed to ending the season after the SECT elimination. 1985 was really exciting. The NCAAT field was smaller so it was a bit more prominent. Devoe's mentor, Bobby Knight, and Indiana beat TN in the semis at MSG. Then TN pounded Louisville in the 3rd place game. Louisville won the Natty a year later. It was probably the last year that TN won their last game and had an above average team.

1985 National Invitation Tournament - Wikipedia

I have no problem with the NIT, to me it's basically the same as getting a bowl game lower than the New Year's Six/BCS Bowls.

Why the heck wouldn't we? Who do you think Tennessee is that they have the level of pride and audacity to decline an NIT invite?
Should be in consideration just because of the caliber we’re recruiting at. We’re going at 5 star players in 2021 and I’m sure it’s not the best look for the program

VN Store

Back