Will Tony Leave after this year?

gwgvol

What chew talkin' bout
I got a little nervous this past year that Tony Jones might leave. But he stayed. With the audition that he has coming up in SEC play, some decent teams may take a look at him after the season. I think this is his last year with CBP. What do you think?

I think it's very possible. Not too many coaches strive to be career assistants and this is Tony's time to shine.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Had issues with being a centerpiece in our AA issues.

Can we just enjoy this season? Huh,? It's bad enough we are going to hear the Bruce Pearl saga everyball game that is on TV, but now some worry about something that may or may not happen...GO VOLS...........:whistling:

If he does he will be taking baggage with him to.Im just ready for all this to be over with.

A lot of important people here in Memphis have speculated that the Tigers would love ot have him as an assistant. However, this might be a lateral move and considering we are on probation, Im not sure it would be worth it for either party. Ill be interested to see if he accepts a head coaching job at a smaller school or continues to be an assistant as well.

how long has he been with CBP? 10+ years. Maybe he is a lifelong assistant (which is fine). I just don't see anything for him to gain at this point for stickin' around. Unless he is truly dedicated to CBP for the long term (and I was surprised he stayed this year).

He's not had many options to this point: Boston, Marshall, and Tennessee St. showed interest. Any others I'm forgetting?

A lot of important people here in Memphis have speculated that the Tigers would love ot have him as an assistant. However, this might be a lateral move and considering we are on probation, Im not sure it would be worth it for either party. Ill be interested to see if he accepts a head coaching job at a smaller school or continues to be an assistant as well.

Its only a lateral move if he is hired as Mempiss's head coach. :) I kid, I kid.

But not really ...

He's not had many options to this point: Boston, Marshall, and Tennessee St. showed interest. Any others I'm forgetting?

None of those jobs are worth taking. He would make as much money as an assistant.

In a related sense, Charlie Strong was a longtime defensive coordinator at Florida before finally accepting a head coaching job (Louisville) although he was offered several prior. Jones might not want to be a lifetime assistant but he is smart enough to know when not to take a dead end job.

I don't think Tony is a candidate for any head coaching positions right now, or will be after this year, especially after being involved in violating NCAA rules by making excessive phone calls to recruits. Tony Jones reminds me of Steve (I think that's his first name) Robinson at UNC. He is an ace recruiter but may not cut it as a head coach in the college ranks. Robinson coached at Florida State for a few years but has come back to direct recruiting at UNC and found his niche again.

None of those jobs are worth taking. He would make as much money as an assistant.

In a related sense, Charlie Strong was a longtime defensive coordinator at Florida before finally accepting a head coaching job (Louisville) although he was offered several prior. Jones might not want to be a lifetime assistant but he is smart enough to know when not to take a dead end job.
Marshall is paying Tom Herrion a whole Hell of a lot more than Tony Jones is making.

Marshall is paying Tom Herrion a whole Hell of a lot more than Tony Jones is making.

Still doesnt mean its a job worth taking. If he just wants to get paid then by all means but Marshall is a black hole. Their last coach had some success and "upgraded" by going to UCF :unsure:

Being a high paid assistant with Bruce Pearl is a pretty dang secure job. If he ventures out and takes a head coaching job and doesn't produce, he will be kicked to the curb quickly and become a lower paid assistant for a smaller program. High risk, but he'd probably take any offers that come. Bruce will be fine without him or anybody else for that matter because he's BBBBRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being a high paid assistant with Bruce Pearl is a pretty dang secure job. If he ventures out and takes a head coaching job and doesn't produce, he will be kicked to the curb quickly and become a lower paid assistant for a smaller program. High risk, but he'd probably take any offers that come. Bruce will be fine without him or anybody else for that matter because he's BBBBRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Until you get your salary reduced by 25%

If the team does well while CBP is out, I'd believe he'd have quiet a bit of hype.

Still doesnt mean its a job worth taking. If he just wants to get paid then by all means but Marshall is a black hole. Their last coach had some success and "upgraded" by going to UCF :unsure:
You do realize what UCF is paying Donnie Jones, don't you? Also, with their new building, they'll be right there with UTEP as the most consistent challenger to Memphis in about two years.

Yeah, Marshall's a real career killer. Look how it ruined Billy Donovan's chances of climbing the coaching ladder.

Yeah, Marshall's a real career killer. Look how it ruined Billy Donovan's chances of climbing the coaching ladder.

I knew you were eventually going to bring this up. I will stand down now. I still dont think its a real good job but as you have pointed out, a few good coaches have used it as a stepping stone.

VN Store

Back