Will the Vols really be in the top 25 next year?

That missed shot maybe the best TN has executed a end half play in a month.

Our QB? The guy who was the 4th rated passer and best 3rd down QB in the conference last year....so that’s good.
The same guy that’s take 2.5 billion years to make a decision? Where is that stat? All jokes aside, I’m sure it is something they will address. Whole team effort

Reactions: vol1950
The final 2018 poll just had a few teams ranked with 8 or 9 wins the rest with more wins. It will be tough.

Offensive time of possession means very little, there’s virtually no correlation between your ability to possess the ball longer than your opponent and winning games. A few examples from last year....

-had 5 more minutes of possession than West Virginia and lost by 26 pts
-had 9 more minutes of offensive possession than Florida and lost by 26 pts
-had 17 minutes more possession than SCar and lost the game
-only had 20 seconds more possession than Kentucky and beat the snot out of them by 17 points
-in some of our other games where we were blown out (UGA, Bama, Mizzou, Vandy) we got killed in time of possession

So, all this shows there’s simply no direct correlation. Fact is, our defense was every bit as culpable for the losses, if not more so, than our offense last year. If the opposing defense is fairly rested and fresh because they held our offense to a 3 and out and got off the field quickly, nothing says that OUR defense couldn’t have been competent and done the same exact thing, so that they’d have stayed rested and fresh.

Mike Price agrees with you. He goes on one of his rants when asked about time of possession (my wife's a Coug alum so I get a load of Mike's stuff).

And for what it's worth, I agree with you as well.

Not this season. We may win enough to get into a bowl game. But 8 wins is a serious stretch. I anticipate alot of improvements, all around. But, the freakin' SEC is gawldarn tough! And we helped to make it that way.

It was nice to get those two "scalps" last year (wins over Top 25 ranked teams [Auburn and Kentucky]).
If we win all the games that we're favored to win and get another couple of scalps this year, a bowl is guaranteed.
If we win 2 more scalps than last year and win all the games we're projected to, then there's a good probability for the Top 25 ranking this season.

7 regular season wins and hooefully 8th in a bowl game against another slow big10 team would be great. Definite top 10 recruiting class next year with 7 wins. 8 regular season wins and CJP should be SEC coach of the year.

Hope we dont have fans that predict 10 wins and then rip the statf when it of course doesnt happen. This is a 3 or 4 year rebuild

Reactions: VolinMC
Never said he was the only problem. I don't really see how I implied it but obviously some in this thread think he is the only thing that isn't.

I for one believe jg is a big problem. Not by far the only problem, but the biggest one, and of course this is just my opinion. He can't get the team in the end zone and most of his good stats are 3rd and long and he throws a short pass to keep his stats up, He has very few downfield completions, mostly underthrown when he does have time to throw. His decision making skills are just way too slow. I hope jg improves and we score more than 20 points per game. There were many times if no receiver was open he could have at least run out of the pocket and threw it out of bounds instead of taking a sack.

The same guy that’s take 2.5 billion years to make a decision? Where is that stat? All jokes aside, I’m sure it is something they will address. Whole team effort
You mean the same guy who so many of his critics said on here “he holds the ball way too long, he doesn’t get rid of it like Chryst does, cause Chryst knows what he’s doing and is decisive”......until a reporter pointed out and demonstrated that against Alabama last year, Chryst took 2.1 seconds to throw the ball while JG took 2.2 seconds?

Bottom line, we have fans on here who have made up their minds and see what they want to see, despite sharp evidence to the contrary.

You mean the same guy who so many of his critics said on here “he holds the ball way too long, he doesn’t get rid of it like Chryst does, cause Chryst knows what he’s doing and is decisive”......until a reporter pointed out and demonstrated that against Alabama last year, Chryst took 2.1 seconds to throw the ball while JG took 2.2 seconds?

Bottom line, we have fans on here who have made up their minds and see what they want to see, despite sharp evidence to the contrary.

In your opinion KB, if JG blows, sucks, is terrible, is not an SEC QB or my favorite "Hot Garbage", do you think Chaney will start him this fall anyway?

Reactions: butchna
I for one believe jg is a big problem. Not by far the only problem, but the biggest one, and of course this is just my opinion. He can't get the team in the end zone and most of his good stats are 3rd and long and he throws a short pass to keep his stats up, He has very few downfield completions, mostly underthrown when he does have time to throw. His decision making skills are just way too slow. I hope jg improves and we score more than 20 points per game. There were many times if no receiver was open he could have at least run out of the pocket and threw it out of bounds instead of taking a sack.

Before last season I was also saying that "I hope JG improves"

That conversation is still happening a year later. People have been conditioned these days to "pick a side"...

The reality is, is that the QB starting job is open for competition.

This back and forth rhetoric about him will be a moot point come fall. We have found a QB to build on- I believe. And another like that is committed for 2020.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Yep. He’s absolutely, 100% the starter thus year....and I’m giggling my ass off at all his detractors on VN.

????

Chaney benched Sims for Bray when he needed to.

If JG continues to NOT produce (TDs, Points, Wins)...why would you want him in there still??

Don't any of you want to win again??????

I believe we LOST almost ALL our starting D linemen but now with their backups starting we'll be much improved instantly?

This is by far the most delusional thing I keep hearing. We just had our best run D in a decade and now a couple of JUCO guys, with no depth, are going to IMPROVE the DL. Lmfao.

????

Chaney benched Sims for Bray when he needed to.

If JG continues to NOT produce (TDs, Points, Wins)...why would you want him in there still??

Don't any of you want to win again??????

He produced just fine. The main area he lacked last year was in ATTEMPTS. Zero run game help on top. Check the stats. Chryst produced what you asked for (wins, tds, etc) at Stanford. Gee, wonder why he couldn't here?

JG did what he could last year, TF do people want from the 95th (out of 100 listed) QBs in #of attempts?? Staff gave him shiz to work with. Run-run-godplzbailusoutJG&Quez!

Reactions: Rocky_top08
He produced just fine. The main area he lacked last year was in ATTEMPTS. Zero run game help on top. Check the stats. Chryst produced what you asked for (wins, tds, etc) at Stanford. Gee, wonder why he couldn't here?

JG did what he could last year, TF do people want from the 95th (out of 100 listed) QBs in #of attempts?? Staff gave him shiz to work with. Run-run-godplzbailusoutJG&Quez!

Chryst did not produce a ton of TDs. And the wins were a team effort mainly Stanfords defense. And he got benched anyway! Which is why he left..

- Let's not bash JG. Cool👍.
- Chaney is here. Maybe he can push JG forward to new heights? Cool!!👍👍.

But this continued distortion of him being a "good" QB is disturbing....

WTF is wrong with you all??
You can support a player and still be critical and objective.

16 TDs in 20 + games played. He's not averaging even 1 TD a game!!!
Wake the hell up!

Wish him the best. Point out the lack of support around him, but DON'T paint a picture that's simply NOT true.

He did FINE??? No.
Auburn game 2018 is it so far.
KBVOL saying he's 3rd or 4th Best QB in conference???

VN Store

Back