Will The Men's SEC Tournament Be Moved?

I think there is barely any opportunity cost for universities to finish the semester online.

I personally feel very well researched and informed on the subject of the virus and will be taking actions large and small in my business and life to prevent the spread further. I encourage others to do the same.

Even the tone at the White House changed pretty dramatically today at the press briefing. That should be telling enough for people to see what’s coming over the next several weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC 83 and VolNExile
I think there is barely any opportunity cost for universities to finish the semester online.

I personally feel very well researched and informed on the subject of the virus and will be taking actions large and small in my business and life to prevent the spread further. I encourage others to do the same.

Even the tone at the White House changed pretty dramatically today. That should be telling enough for people to see what’s coming over the next several weeks.
Did it?

Yes absolutely. It’s a lot to try and discuss on here though. Did you watch it?
Yeah I did. Seemed like a lot of the same. Risk is low for most Americans. Take precautions, etc. Only difference I heard was they were more specific about what those precautions were - mostly just about old people and those with underlying conditions

Yeah I did. Seemed like a lot of the same. Risk is low for most Americans. Take precautions, etc

If you have discord or want to join zoom, we can discuss it. Can cover more ground in a shorter period of time. But last week, the president said it was being contained. This week, they flat out said it unlikely to be contained. The link Pence gave explictly says so. Coronavirus.gov

This is written in a way to not make people panic, and it still paints a grim picture.

1583805583555.png

we've got economic emergency measures going in place that wouldn't be necessary if this was just going to blow over soon. Pence strongly warned the elderly and people with pre-existing conditions were at high risk, and the surgeon general reminded everyone that just because YOU are low risk, you are still a carrier and can infect others. Ultimately, that's the issue.

Here is the info on severity Pence gave

1583805817505.png

Serious illness in 16% of cases is VERY, VERY significant. Reports out of Italy have that number even higher.

If you have discord or want to join zoom, we can discuss it. Can cover more ground in a shorter period of time. But last week, the president said it was being contained. This week, they flat out said it unlikely to be contained. The link Pence gave explictly says so. Coronavirus.gov

This is written in a way to not make people panic, and it still paints a grim picture.

View attachment 265449

we've got economic emergency measures going in place that wouldn't be necessary if this was just going to blow over soon. Pence strongly warned the elderly and people with pre-existing conditions were at high risk, and the surgeon general reminded everyone that just because YOU are low risk, you are still a carrier and can infect others. Ultimately, that's the issue.

Here is the info on severity Pence gave

View attachment 265452

Serious illness in 16% of cases is VERY, VERY significant. Reports out of Italy have that number even higher.
President said cases would go to 0. I don’t think he meant immediately. There are obviously going to be more cases. The Coronavirus task force has always said that and they’ve been pretty consistent in what they’ve said. Low risk to most Americans. Everyone need to take precautions especially the elderly and those who have contact w at risk people.

President said cases would go to 0. I don’t think he meant immediately. There are obviously going to be more cases. The Coronavirus task force has always said that and they’ve been pretty consistent in what they’ve said. Low risk to most Americans. Everyone need to take precautions especially the elderly and those who have contact w at risk people.

But what do you think that means? Like, what's your estimate on how many will die in the US over the next 12-18 months?

But what do you think that means? Like, what's your estimate on how many will die in the US over the next 12-18 months?
Hard to predict. Statistics in cases like this have a large margin of error. The virus isn’t that well understood, nothing is controlled, and the data isn’t very comprehensive anyway. Which of course means there’s potential for it to be worse than what the data tells us, and that’s why people need to take precautions. I think they’ve been pretty consistent in that respect. Consider the risks and make the appropriate decisions. They did stay they would reconsider holding large gatherings of people - referring to a media question about political rallies. Sporting events would definitely fall under that umbrella.

Hard to predict. Statistics in cases like this have a large margin of error. The virus isn’t that well understood, nothing is controlled, and the data isn’t very comprehensive anyway. Which of course means there’s potential for it to be worse than what the data tells us, and that’s why people need to take precautions. I think they’ve been pretty consistent in that respect. Consider the risks and make the appropriate decisions. They did stay they would reconsider holding large gatherings of people - referring to a media question about political rallies. Sporting events would definitely fall under that umbrella.

Then we likely agree. Bruin saying cancelling classes at UT is "dumb" is highly subjective at best, dangerous at worst.

In a typical flu season, 32 Million Americans are infected and the mortality rate is 0.1%

If we assume the illness over the year will infect as many people as the Flu, we can model this number of deaths with the information available to us. (the taskforce said many times it transmits similarly to the flu)

Right now, overall mortality is about 3.5%.

However, a lack of testing and test availability can skew that number. Consider this.

1583807796061-png.265455

South Korea has done the most testing. They have tested well over 150,000 and found over 7,500 cases.

So they are starting to reach statistical significance most likely to help us find a more accurate mortality rate.

Their mortality rate if you do that math above is 0.7%

Seven times more deadly than the flu....

But there is a problem. That's the absolute LOWEST the mortality rate can be. Only 247 people have recovered from the illness in that data. You won't have an accurate mortality rate until all patients have recovered. The mortality rate vs recovered rate is a staggering 22%. But that's highly unlikely to bare out. No need to panic about that specifically, but do expect mortality to be higher than 0.7%

So let's be optimistic and say the mortality rate is 0.5%. If 32 million Americans get it (like the Flu), that means around 160K will die this year in the US.

But at a mortality rate of 3.5%, over 1 million Americans will die. That means it's statically likely at least 1 person you know will die from the illness this year (assuming you know at least 300 people)

Now I say all this to say.... we can avoid this with personal responsibility. Even if mortality rate is high on this illness, practicing personal responsibility can save lives. You can literally be a hero by simply, shopping online one weekend instead of going to the store.

Just be responsible, think objectively and take care of yourself. If you get ill, stay inside.

Last edited:
Has it been now determined the disease isn’t like the flu and will instead continue to spread rapidly during the warmer months?

Has it been now determined the disease isn’t like the flu and will instead continue to spread rapidly during the warmer months?

No, I haven't seen that. Right now, they are hoping that it is like most viruses and the incidence will decrease in the summer months. That isn't directly because of the warmer temperatures but is thought to be because people tend to be outside more, school is out, and there is just less opportunity to transmit the virus. But, it will not just go away. We'll continue to see new cases probably for a long time but hopefully, the rate will go down in the summer.

I’d say 50/50 Tourney is played with no fans
San Jose Sharks announced they will likely play without fan for the remainder of the season.

Bridgestone Arena has no plan to do the same and no plan to not have fans for SEC Tourney.

I guess that could change though.

San Jose Sharks announced they will likely play without fan for the remainder of the season.

Bridgestone Arena has no plan to do the same and no plan to not have fans for SEC Tourney.

I guess that could change though.

Where did you see the rest of the season?

They are going to for the rest of the month because the county decided it.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
The Ivy League canceled their tournament. Maybe the stands will look like Atlanta after the tornado. So weird to watch a basketball game with like 30 people in the stands

Regular season is over April 2.

My daughter works for the Preds. Predators have a 2:30 meeting to discuss the issue. I'll update on SEC Tourney plans as soon as it's over.

VN Store

Back