Will Squirrel White emerge as a top WR next year?

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
We seem to have an embarrassment of riches with our WR corp. One that will apparently be led by the Albino Chipmunk and a bunch of Fe-Fi-Fo Fooms sized guys. I'm giddy imaging that with Javelin Joe piloting a B-1B Lancer firing AGM-158 JASSMs nukes at the enemy.

Source: Tennessee Football: Will Squirrel White emerge as a top WR next year?

Last edited:
Tennessee needs those significant strong Fe-Fi-Fo Foom types to win those nasty man-to-man battles. It is required to beat teams that play a lot of hostile in-your-face-coverage defenses like Georiga. USCe followed their defensive blueprint in terms of playing tougher coverage. There were not as successful as Georgia but still slowed the offense at times. You need an ankle-breaking 5'10" animal too. The offense has a good mix this year, at least on paper.

It will be in his hands. If he can catch the balls beaming his way, be ready to jump to catch over his head, or dig them out of the turf, he can break out to a next level career.
Any WR can catch a well thrown ball. The great ones snatch the off target passes and win fights for 50/50 balls.

Squirrel seems to be trending toward being really good. If he increases grip strength and focus, he will be playing on Sundays after being featured in Heupel's scheme.

He seems to have a knack for finding open field and getting open already. He ran the best sideline routes on the offense last season.

Reactions: Tnslim1 and Ratvol
We seem to have an embarrassment of riches with our WR corp. One that will apparently be led by the Albino Chipmunk and a bunch of Fe-Fi-Fo Fooms sized guys. I giddy imaging that with javelin Joe piloting a B-1B Lancer firing AGM-158 JASSMs nukes at the enemy.

Source: Tennessee Football: Will Squirrel White emerge as a top WR next year?
IMHO, it depends on him not being complacent. He needs to get bigger while not losing top end speed. I think his opportunity is to play more like Velus than Jalen. He needs more power to do that.

IMHO, it depends on him not being complacent. He needs to get bigger while not losing top end speed. I think his opportunity is to play more like Velus than Jalen. He needs more power to do that.

I figured along the same line of thought on seeing his measurables when we first got him. I'm still doubtful he can take the season-long beatings the SEC is known for. But if thy can't catch him, they can't beat him up. I'm not sure, and except for the minor RB chores, I think the Albino Chipmunk will be our Percy Harvin.

Can you flesh that out a bit more? UT is losing a couple of valuable guys. But that happens almost every year for most teams.
And Campbell/Karic are slight downgrades…not steep. Meanwhile what’s been developing under Ellarbee is primed to compete. This isn’t the annual OL mess we’ve grown accustomed to in Knoxville.

And Campbell/Karic are slight downgrades…not steep. Meanwhile what’s been developing under Ellarbee is primed to compete. This isn’t the annual OL mess we’ve grown accustomed to in Knoxville.
Agreed. Upchuck Crawford and Mincey both showed a lot of improvement. Mays will be a seasoned vet, as will Spraggins. D Davis, Lampley, A Nichols, and O Lane all got a lot of snaps last year.

So we really just need someone to take the LG and RT spots and hold them down.

I think Nichols takes the LG spot or they move Spraggins left and put Nichols on the right with Davis or Crawford at RT.

There's quite a bit of talent behind all of them, and the only unknown right now is who plays Center if Mays can't go.

Reactions: Ratvol
Also AP and Hubbs have been gushing over Thornton, so to answer OP, maybe.

Thornton could be the man if he comes in and learns the O.

I think he will. I wish he was just a little taller to get into that Elite realm but I was very impressed with him last year.

VN Store

Back