Will Neyland be at 50% Capacity like Texas, or higher?

Or, conversely, we can and will just “play on” when someone comes down with COVID-19 since the virus presents incredibly little danger to student-athletes across the country.

Fish: Catching football fever. Literally

I recognize that COVID-19 is “worse” than the flu, but there’s simply no reason to grind everything to a halt as a result of a positive case just as illness spread during the other 150 seasons of this sport’s history haven’t forced complete stoppages.

I get it. And you're right that the current virus isn't a threat to younger people, so your argument is definitely compelling. FWIW, during the second wave of the Spanish Flu, the virus mutated such that it killed people within 24 hours... 675,000 Americans died in all. I suppose that at least would reduce the rate of transmission if it were to go that route. And, hey, maybe Trump's right... maybe it'll just disappear altogether. I'm open to that and, make no mistake, I definitely want a Vol football season. But, such a thing should be approached carefully.

The 1918 college football season was definitely affected. Of note, fans in the stands wore masks. Also of note, Tennessee had no official team in 1917 or 1918.

# # #

"...But it was a season which was greatly affected by the flu pandemic, as several teams’ games were canceled.

“Football seasons were also curtailed,” Roberts said. “Harvard only played three football games; most football teams really didn’t play many games that year because of the flu.”

Michigan and Pittsburgh, the aforementioned co-national champions, each played five games that season.

Local teams such as Arkansas and Oklahoma — which were both members of the Southwest Conference — also played limited schedules that season. The Razorbacks played just five games that season, going 3-2, while the Sooners had just six games to their credit."

Last edited:
After a week of 10,000, 50,000, 100,000 or more people at a time attending protests and public memorials in many cities throughout the country, is social distancing even still a serious thing? Seems the new advice is wear a mask and you should be fine especially if you are outdoors.

If I’m going to any game or any outdoor event this fall it will be without a mask. Besides looking stupid it’s freaking hot and smothering if you wear the ones that are at least somewhat effective. If they require a mask I’m staying home.

This whole concept is stupid. Do we really want a season where the stands are 50% filled? That would totally suck. And what happens when ONE SINGLE player tests positive? Every single kid on both teams would need to be quarantined for 14 days. For those in denial, this virus spreads quickly and easily. A contact sport like football, and it's all over everyone.

Cancel the season. Yes I know I suck for saying it, but it will likely need to be done. Pros can sequester themselves in a couple cities and remain in quarantine, while kids gotta go to class, so we should/could/might have the NFL.

If we're going to cancel the season, what if it comes back next year. We should take into account too. Or will it go away if Biden is elected? The insanity has taken over everything.

Reactions: Shocker0
Y
If I’m going to any game or any outdoor event this fall it will be without a mask. Besides looking stupid it’s freaking hot and smothering if you wear the ones that are at least somewhat effective. If they require a mask I’m staying home.
Yep, I'll not either. Ill stay at home and save my money.

After a week of 10,000, 50,000, 100,000 or more people at a time attending protests and public memorials in many cities throughout the country, is social distancing even still a serious thing? Seems the new advice is wear a mask and you should be fine especially if you are outdoors.
I reckon we'll find out in a week or two...mass protests may be a good case study for mass gatherings for sporting events. Not making light of the protests...but we'll soon know how mass gatherings impact new cases...blip on the radar or spike... will go a long way to how CFB approaches.

Reactions: 1Volnation
I reckon we'll find out in a week or two...mass protests may be a good case study for mass gatherings for sporting events. Not making light of the protests...but we'll soon know how mass gatherings impact new cases...blip on the radar or spike... will go a long way to how CFB approaches.

You honestly think we'll get an honest assessment from them? The media will what it can to keep any bad news coming from the marxist protests

Or, conversely, we can and will just “play on” when someone comes down with COVID-19 since the virus presents incredibly little danger to student-athletes across the country.

Fish: Catching football fever. Literally

I recognize that COVID-19 is “worse” than the flu, but there’s simply no reason to grind everything to a halt as a result of a positive case just as illness spread during the other 150 seasons of this sport’s history haven’t forced complete stoppages.

Exactly. Our friends got it, their son felt bad for about 2 days. His parent got it and they were a little sicker but still no worse than the normal flu.

Reactions: GBOx2
If we're going to cancel the season, what if it comes back next year. We should take into account too. Or will it go away if Biden is elected? The insanity has taken over everything.

Heh. I'd say take a page from gay people. AIDS has been around for 30 years now, and there's no vaccine. But, there are treatments and precautionary measures that can be taken, and while there's no cure, it's generally considered under control. With all the $ aimed at vaccines and so forth, someone will probably have something within 12 to 18 months.

Austin,TX is filled with the most reactionary, hardcore libs in the country.

The Mexican Beer Virus won't even be a topic of conversation when football season comes around.

Texas will be at 100%. They will need the money to buy out the current staff after another nightmare season.

Heh. I'd say take a page from gay people. AIDS has been around for 30 years now, and there's no vaccine. But, there are treatments and precautionary measures that can be taken, and while there's no cure, it's generally considered under control. With all the $ aimed at vaccines and so forth, someone will probably have something within 12 to 18 months.

I think getting covid is easier than getting aids. Its also easier getting rid of it. I never want to get in that position (pun intended) to get aids.

One can dream

Once again, Take Temps at the Gates. Contrary to some opinions, If you are Positive you will have an elevated Temp. Once again, Treat the Infected with worldwide proven Therapies. Immediately. Older people (And those with health issues) should possibly consider wearing Masks, to make them feel more secure. UT should issue guidelines and request that anyone not feeling well or running a temp to please not attend. The Fear of this thing was there is no cure. That has been debunked. (although the Left would never admit that; they Love a pandemic) The Trick with this Coronavirus is not to live in a Democrat State and especially be confined to a Nursing Home. Sitting Duck Syndrome.

Once again, Take Temps at the Gates. Contrary to some opinions, If you are Positive you will have an elevated Temp. Once again, Treat the Infected with worldwide proven Therapies. Immediately. Older people (And those with health issues) should possibly consider wearing Masks, to make them feel more secure. UT should issue guidelines and request that anyone not feeling well or running a temp to please not attend. The Fear of this thing was there is no cure. That has been debunked. (although the Left would never admit that; they Love a pandemic) The Trick with this Coronavirus is not to live in a Democrat State and especially be confined to a Nursing Home. Sitting Duck Syndrome.

I dont know how accurate the temp check will be, if you're drinking since 12 and its 98 degrees outside, i think your temp will be over 98.6

Don’t forget about the 100,000 people a weekend is visiting beaches each days. From Gulf Shores to Destin I have seen form experience no one is worried about the Rona!!!!

CoV infection rates are about 4% of those tested out here in San Diego, which would be about 4,000 in a 100K stadium. One person sits next to 4 people, side-front-behind, so the chance of sitting next to a person with CoV is 4 * 4% = 16%. If one of two get infected, that's 1/2 * 16% = 8% or 8,000 people walk out of the stadium newly infected. So basically Neyland turns into a giant petri dish. Don't go unless there's appropriate distancing, at about 1/3 capacity.

Last edited:
Good then stay home. BTW People wearing masks do not look stupid, just prudent and wise.

Thing is- you can’t know exactly where/when the virus entered your system. If a protester gets sick, blame it on the protest, not the Walmart he stopped into on the way to the protest. Same thing will happen in the fall. The guy that says “ I caught corona virus at Neyland stadium” could be misinformed.

People with an agenda will be quick to blame the sporting events. Good thing everybody here understands that and there are no agendas

A little off topic, but it was reported on the national news tonight that the virus may have been in China 3 months earlier than they reported. That would make sense considering they have found earlier cases in the U.S. than was first thought. As far as masks, if I live until a week from Thursday, I will be 67 years young, and I have worn a mask 1 time, to attend a viewing of a former co-worker, my 2nd time will be Wednesday when I get swabbed. I don't have any symptoms but may have been exposed to it on June 1 at J Alexanders in Chattanooga.

Update: Now it seems China may have known about the virus as far back as August of 2019, but they are denying this claim.

Last edited:
This whole concept is stupid. Do we really want a season where the stands are 50% filled? That would totally suck. And what happens when ONE SINGLE player tests positive? Every single kid on both teams would need to be quarantined for 14 days. For those in denial, this virus spreads quickly and easily. A contact sport like football, and it's all over everyone.

Cancel the season. Yes I know I suck for saying it, but it will likely need to be done. Pros can sequester themselves in a couple cities and remain in quarantine, while kids gotta go to class, so we should/could/might have the NFL.

So you are saying Cancel everything for the rest of our lives. You are guessing there MAY be a vaccine in the future. Maybe maybe not. Remember there is a flu vaccine and it kills over 50K almost every year. What number will be a acceptable number to resume life? I'm not saying it can not be dangerous but no one is requiring and to get out.

It probably won’t be fine and at this point seems like people don’t really care. Almost all of the football players that have tested positive so far at various schools seem to be asymptomatic so no doubt a bunch of people are carrying it and if you get in a crowd of 50-100k a bunch more will. Good luck to Grandma...

You honestly think we'll get an honest assessment from them? The media will what it can to keep any bad news coming from the marxist protests
Marxist? I don’t think they are about workers rights and pretty sure I haven’t heard anything about the proletariat...but maybe I missed it

Reactions: Purple Tiger

VN Store

Back