Will Malachi Wideman ever play basketball at UT ?

I love this kid and he is a 4 star, top 125 basketball player, but it seems like we never see kids like this, play both sports. What do u all think, will Wideman ever play basketball at UT ? I think he will, probably not next year, but probably by his sophomore or junior years. Just too talented, imo, maybe even has NBA talent, if football doesn't work out. I do think football will work out and he will be an all-SEC WR, eventually. Still, I think UT gets at least, one season out of Wideman in basketball and we will like it
Want to say yes but gotta say no. Just think the year round work it would take with both sports, for at least 2 years, to have a realistic opportunity to get minutes is too much for any athlete nowadays.
Then again, if he ends up being a mediocre football player it would only take a couple of good games in March to make him a major get for basketball from a fans point of view.imo

He will be a big part of the football team this year, so he should just redshirt in basketball this year .

He will be a big part of the football team this year, so he should just redshirt in basketball this year .
Plus, since presumably we will be in a bowl game, he wouldn’t even start practicing in basketball until January. If he does contribute in basketball, it won’t be this year. Too much depth on the roster anyway.

I'm sure as soon as Wideman gets on campus, he will play a little pick-up with all the basketball team and somebody will be watching. If he is a good as he looks, Barnes will eventually give him a shot if he works for it. I think, eventually, Wideman may compare to Julius Peppers how much he contributed to both sports. Maybe not quite as much in football, considering Peppers will be in the NFL HoF. Who was that PG and QB that played both at UNC, Ronald Curry ?

Wideman was arguably the most electric athlete in the area with countless high-flying dunks, drawing gasps from fans both for and against him. Though the Indians somewhat underachieved given the talent around Wideman, the Tennessee signee always made games exciting...He averaged 18.5 points and 9.5 rebounds per game.

"Malachi is by far one of the most athletic basketball players I have been around -- high school or college," Venice boys basketball coach Mike Montgomery said. "For all of his athleticism and publicity, he was extremely unselfish. Like most high-caliber athletes, he had the drive and desire to win. It was an absolute pleasure to have the opportunity to coach such an athletic young man. He made everyone on our team better and expect more of themselves and the team."

High flyers lead Sun's all-area boys basketball team

Wideman was arguably the most electric athlete in the area with countless high-flying dunks, drawing gasps from fans both for and against him. Though the Indians somewhat underachieved given the talent around Wideman, the Tennessee signee always made games exciting...He averaged 18.5 points and 9.5 rebounds per game.

"Malachi is by far one of the most athletic basketball players I have been around -- high school or college," Venice boys basketball coach Mike Montgomery said. "For all of his athleticism and publicity, he was extremely unselfish. Like most high-caliber athletes, he had the drive and desire to win. It was an absolute pleasure to have the opportunity to coach such an athletic young man. He made everyone on our team better and expect more of themselves and the team."
High flyers lead Sun's all-area boys basketball team
I would love to see him play for the basketVols, but we have SO many new pieces this year. PT is going to be hard pickings for him + 5 new additions + Victor Bailey will be eligible.. Interesting predicament this year. Excited to see how it will play out!

Hypothetical: IF the SEC football season gets postponed/cancelled AND college basketball starts with conference play only in January, would this increase Wideman's chances of joining the basketball team?

Seems like he could at least start training/practicing with the team. I assume with a postponed football season, team activities would cease except for maybe workouts.

Reactions: i2amavol
I wondered about redshirting. Can a SA that's playing 2 sports take a RS year in just one? I assume it's allowed since the 5-year clock doesn't factor in... but if it's 4 years in football and 5 in basketball I wonder how the NCAA rules apply. Can a SA use up 4 years of the football scholarship and all of their eligibility and then have a scholarship for basketball in a 5th year. Probably a moot point for various reasons, but just wondered about it.

I could be mistaken, but I’m fairly confident I read that Stanley Asumnu completed all four years of eligibility on the basketball team and was awarded a football scholarship for his fifth year/first year of football.

-Didn’t see all the mentions of this already

I'm skeptical that he ever suits up, but it would be cool. I think most athletes that look to play two major sports at a Power 5 college don't really understand in high school just how difficult it is to pull that off regardless of talent. I think throughout his recruitment he truly did/does want to play two sports, but I just don't see how it will be feasible, especially with the talent on this team and the talent that is likely to come in 2021.

If he just wants to play basketball and compete, then I wouldn't be surprised if he joins the practice squad and scrimmages against the BasketVols, but I just don't feel like we'll ever see him in real game action.

I'm skeptical that he ever suits up, but it would be cool. I think most athletes that look to play two major sports at a Power 5 college don't really understand in high school just how difficult it is to pull that off regardless of talent. I think throughout his recruitment he truly did/does want to play two sports, but I just don't see how it will be feasible, especially with the talent on this team and the talent that is likely to come in 2021.

If he just wants to play basketball and compete, then I wouldn't be surprised if he joins the practice squad and scrimmages against the BasketVols, but I just don't feel like we'll ever see him in real game action.
In most cases of dual-sport high school athletes, they get by on athletic ability in one or more of their sports. In college, you literally have to be elite in both to make it, as well as mentally tough and dedicated to put in the work to learn playbooks, stay conditioned, and still complete your academic commitments.

When I was at Carson-Newman, it was rumored that the best basketball player on campus was the quarterback of the football team. I played with those guys and the basketball team played pickup with us, as well, though it's tough to judge much in a pickup game. He certainly more than held his own, athletically, and had he dedicated himself solely to basketball, he likely could have made an impact there, as well. I just dont know that he could have been the starting QB for a powerhouse football team that relied heavily on the option and misdirection (complicated system and playbook), and also have prepared mentally to learn a basketball playbook and been a meaningful contributor ahead of guys whose sole focus was basketball.

The guys like Julius Peppers, Ronald Curry, and Charlie Ward...those guys are few and far between.

I'm not a betting man, but I'd feel pretty good betting that he never plays bball for UT.
The world is a strange place right now. Basketball may be the only game in town for Wideman. So, he may have more time to prepare this year for a late start basketball season if they announce no football.

The world is a strange place right now. Basketball may be the only game in town for Wideman. So, he may have more time to prepare this year for a late start basketball season if they announce no football.
Definitely in the realm of possibility. I still predict no though. I very well could be wrong.

I could be mistaken, but I’m fairly confident I read that Stanley Asumnu completed all four years of eligibility on the basketball team and was awarded a football scholarship for his fifth year/first year of football.

-Didn’t see all the mentions of this already
Pffft

Hes good enough to play but bb is so loaded at least next couple years he might struggle to break the rotation. Then again he's like a 4 star so who knows. Depends how the next couple years pan out.

He scored FOUR TOUCHDOWNS in the scrimmage this weekend. Mercy! Ready to see this guy wherever he suits up in ANY sport!

VN Store

Back