Will expansion impact TV appearances?

dude, texas is not a powerhouse,

TX fans, like some of our fans, still believe they are. One fan called in the PF show this week and stated after they join the SEC championships would all run thru Austin ha ha. Your are correct but the fans are very delusional. I will enjoy seeing them get educated their first couple of seasons.

It’s not about inventory. It’s about being the light too. You really think it would do Tennessee well to be on the ALT station every week?

The level of complaints on here is already high so you know what the recruits think…

Personally speaking, I think you will see 3 networks (It might be ESPN, ESPN2, and SECN) that all show games at 12EST, 3:30 EST, and 7 EST.

It might impact us a little in the NC games but our viewers tune in. We haven't been as good as MSU in the past decade but we've got soooooo many more prime time games than them.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Some of the lesser teams may find themselves on the outside looking in with two more heavyweights in the League.[/QUOTE

The current contract with ESPN with the big 12 expires in 2024, so I am expecting them to add another channel for for SEC Network. One for each division. Since the existing contract of the Big12 is currently split between ESPN and Fox, I doubt it will continue, when the new additions join in 2025. ESPN would be able to air up to 6 games on Saturdays.

I think ESPN will renegotiate with the other conferences to allow the SEC games on all available networks opening time slots on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC N, etc. Between those 4 networks and CBS, they can get most of the games in, IMO.

We watch whatever game we want through the ESPN app on our Roku.

Conference games: 16 teams and 4 have byes on the same weekend. That leaves 12 teams or 6 games. ESPN, ESPN 2, and SECN can easily show 6 games a day. Even early or late season when only 2 may have byes they could handle 7 Games on 3 channels. Depending on how many conference games they have to play, OOC games may not be against top teams and times will be insignificant.

Don't forget the TV deal went to espn recently. All the rules are changing and they are changing because the swc didn't like the inflexibility of the CBS deal. This is a non issue.

We all better get geared up for "SEC Network Plus" for an additional 13.99 a month on top of ridiculous cable or satellite bills.

And the cord cutters will have to pay as well.

I think that is a given. To compensate, will all this expansion lead to SEC network-2? In my lifetime, Arkansas, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Missouri, and now Texas and Oklahoma have been (or are in the process of being) added, with only Georgia Tech and Tulane leaving a very long time ago. Unless there are more departures within the next ten years, and there are not enough independent TV networks out there able to televise everybody in the conference, SEC-2 will need to become a reality. But if Texas still has their Longhorn network in operations, that might be worked out already with a bunch of changes there.
Or, every school gets their own subscription “Longhorn” network.
Pay extra for the ESPN package like normal and then pay another $9.99/month for the “volunteer network” or the “bulldog network.”🤷‍♂️
GBO!!

Honestly, there really won’t be a lot of competition now that these 2 schools are joining the league. ABC has the big10 so that won’t affect us. Pac10 plays at 3:00am anyway, so we don’t really have to worry about that. The only thing that concerns me is that Texas and Oklahoma will get a lot of 3:30 and 7:00 home game time slots because they will not schedule 11:00am kickoffs in Austin or Norman. That may be the only thing that affects us, we probably will have a ton of noon kickoffs, along with the other non relevant programs.
GBO!!

In theory it should be fine especially when SEC takes over.

ESPN, ESPN 2, SEC Network, SEC Alternate, ABC day and night games, plenty of air time for the SEC to use

I agree...and it seems to be in vogue right now to relegate TN to the lower part of the league, along with the likes of KY, VU, SC, etc. TN still has plenty of drawing power historically, and all that's needed are a couple of good seasons and we'll be right back to being considered with the big boys.

Sorry to inform you, but Texas is a bigger draw regionally & nationally than UT. It ain't the 90's (much as I hate to admit it) . That , and Texas has the Cash to make things happen. Texas is fixing to explode. Watch .

I have wondered the same thing OP. There are going to be more games played at a given time slot so, viewers are going to have to choose. I'm sure the TV networks won't schedule an Alabama/LSU game at the same time of the Georgia/Florida game. However, you may see that Bama/LSU game at the same time of the Ky/Vandy game which, is kinda how it's always been done.

I think it pays to have competitions within the SEC and if they allow certain schools to reap additional benefits beyond additional revenue post season that already awards those at the highest performance, people will begin to lose interest.

I thought I read where espn was trying to get the SEC game of the week from CBS as well. I would imagine 8 games would be broadcast nationally each week with 3-4 on espn, 2-3 on espn2 and the other 2 on SEC Network.

They could also broadcast some cupcake games on espn u, etc.

Sorry to inform you, but Texas is a bigger draw regionally & nationally than UT. It ain't the 90's (much as I hate to admit it) . That , and Texas has the Cash to make things happen. Texas is fixing to explode. Watch .
Texas population. ..29.2 million, Tenn population 6.89 million. Yep, You're right genius, Texas has a bigger population than Tennessee. They also had a bigger population in 1998. We aren't talking about 'draw' here. We're talking about success, championships, and being listed with the Big Boys. That's what the thread was about, right? What's the population for the state of Oklahoma vs Texas? Sooners still kick their asses, right?

Reactions: CSVol
Who remembers the good ole days with Jefferson Pilot? 🖐🏻

I do. I watched plenty of Jefferson Pilot games. And hated it when they said, "Let's go to Bob Kesling on the sidelines." I guess he has his uses, but he should have gone into meteorology. He might have competed with Al Roker on ABC or CBS.

It won't be an issue. The SEC Alternate channel will simply get used more often.
That would be ideal, but based on what they have done in the past' don't bet on it. The SEC Network has been a disaster in its programming . Many basketball, softball, and almost no baseball, tract, tennis, soccer, volleyball, games/matches have been shown on the SEC Network.

VN Store

Back