Will DLine depth be Vols Achilles heel

All I know is this new DC better pan out like ya'll want it to because he has a whole mountain on his shoulders right now and ever single year we lose key players at key positions... EVERY single year, and it turns the season into a genuine cluster. As soon as linemen start dropping on both sides of the ball we are going to find out what's real and what's hype.

Dang DD! I would say glass 1/2empty, but I'm not sure there's even a glass here.

Not seeing the depth issue at LB at all. We have a lot of talent there. Not a whole lot of experience, but not Fr either.

On the LB note, does anyone know why Bynum is not in the MLB mix. He just looks the part. Appears a little too stiff for OLB. Seems like he would be a stout run stuffer and blitzer w decent speed.

You said "like y'all want". Do you not want things to go well with Shoop and UT?

I know very little about the guy. He was a DC for penn state and I think he was DC for candy or something like that before. He's highly thought of around here and he says he wants to attack, attack, attack, which I don't see the depth for, and don't know how you do in yr. 1, but I'll hold my judgment and opinion about this guy until I see what he can actually get away with on the field.

I'm concerned is all I'm saying... battered wife syndrome or what ever, I'm looking everywhere for cracks that CAN go wrong, because in my experience if they can they will.

Reactions: 1 person
I know very little about the guy. He was a DC for penn state and I think he was DC for candy or something like that before. He's highly thought of around here and he says he wants to attack, attack, attack, which I don't see the depth for, and don't know how you do in yr. 1, but I'll hold my judgment and opinion about this guy until I see what he can actually get away with on the field.

Your post said "like y'all want". Your question didn't sound like a fan.

I like the idea of going with some combination of Barnett, Kongbo, Vereen and Phillips in some third-and-long situations until Tuttle is back at full-tilt.

Lack of depth at DT is concerning on the surface, but I think we have enough guys at DE that can slide over that we'll be okay.

I think you're seeing Jumper's play as bad overall LB depth. But we are 3 deep at WLB, and have serviceable depth at SLB and MLB. Gavin Bryant and Jumper can be solid temporary backups. Likewise with Austin Smith and a couple freshmen at SLB. DT depth is a little rough right now. Mckenzie is in great shape and Vickers played well last year. O'Brien is a solid DT. What can Piccou give you? 10 snaps would be plenty from him. If Tuttle and/or Johnson come back healthy and fit, we have an abundance of DTs. I imagine Tuttle should be back and in shape by October, which would be right in time for our toughest 4 game stretch. There's plenty of potential here and Shoop isn't just any ole DC. He had Vandys defense in the top 26 in '11, '12, and '13 which is quite an unprecedented feat. Then he went to Penn State with James Franklin and had their total defense at #2 in '14 and #15 in '15. Last year he had a former walk-on who led the country in sacks at 15.5. The system works.

He's highly thought of by everyone around the country, not just here. There were multiple articles naming it the biggest coordinator pickup in the nation. I like how you state you know little then follow it with your uninformed opinion. Nice work.

Reactions: 1 person

If you know very little about the guy then don't speak about him until you educate yourself.

He's likes to coordinate a defense around the concept of applying pressure to the offense. It's a philosophy that worked very well for him at lowly Vanderbilt where he had virtually no talent. He repeated the concept and the success in his two years at Penn State, a program coming off a major scandal and subsequent sanctions that left them short handed as well.

We have very good secondary and Lb depth, are ridiculously deep at DE....we're only a body or 2 short at being optimal depth-wise at DT.....his previous success working miracles with much less material leads me to believe we'll be much more successful on the defense this season under his leadership, and his expertise at putting together schemes build around putting pressure on the offense will be the cornerstone of that success.

Last edited:
Shoop has had top 25 defenses every year he's been a FBS DC. We haven't had a top 25 defense in how long?

I'm not worried about his unit. Depth is the best we've had in a long time.

This is one of the more silly "let's worry" threads of the off-season.|

DT is a minor concern but UT does NOT have depth problems elsewhere on D.

Last edited:
Ordinarily I might say yes but maybe the good football minds can clarify. Isn't Shoop's defense built around the idea of moving players all around the field. Like you might have four DE on the field on a play and then next five LB or something like that?

VN Store

Back