Will Dickey be a first basemen in the pros?

Yes. His defense is very good and his offense is elite. Future first rounder[/QUOTE]
Seems a bit optimistic.

Someone will give him a chance, but I can't imagine it'll be anywhere near the 1st round. His defensive ambiguity being one reason....

First base could be a good fit, but it ultimately depends on how his power develops.

Helton had a sweet swing, and I'm not sure Dickey's projects the same way.

Reactions: Titan05
Great kid and player, but not a first rounder. At least not at this point.
Admittedly I’m a huge Dickey fan and am wearing orange colored glasses. I just think he’s creeping up there and will be a late first rounder, early 2nd rounder. His makeup, desire, versatility, and elite bat will be hard to keep out of early rounds.

His lack of a defined position will hurt his draft stock, but regardless I expect him to have a long career in the majors.
Agree. His hitting is attractive in the draft, but lack of arm strength will likely push him to 1B. He will not play OF in the pros. Not sure how much he has worked over at 1B, however.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I don't think he's a left or center fielder in the bigs. Right field a little more so. He can catch but doesn't seem to stand out. First base may be his best option. The bat is good enough to get a higher round look maybe not the first round. Hits too well to not make it some way. You can shake a tree and the gloves fall out but lumber men are hard to find.

I think he has college potential at catcher. Admittedly, there much room for improvement. He can fake it a bit in left field I think.

First base would be good. The question then....can Blake play another position.

Or course, we can rotate both thru some DH games.

With Christian Moore, those three bats are a key.

I remain confident that the pitching will heat up as the weather warms. We just need to generate 5-6 runs per night. And, vastly improve our defense.

It is a delicate balance of getting C Scott, C. Taylor, KT, in there to improve defense while still keeping offensive skills in slots 7-9

I think he has college potential at catcher. Admittedly, there much room for improvement. He can fake it a bit in left field I think.

First base would be good. The question then....can Blake play another position.

Or course, we can rotate both thru some DH games.

With Christian Moore, those three bats are a key.

I remain confident that the pitching will heat up as the weather warms. We just need to generate 5-6 runs per night. And, vastly improve our defense.

It is a delicate balance of getting C Scott, C. Taylor, KT, in there to improve defense while still keeping offensive skills in slots 7-9
Blake won’t leave 1B. He’s a good defensive 1B. He has 2 cheap errors where his foot was supposedly off bag.

Blake won’t leave 1B. He’s a good defensive 1B. He has 2 cheap errors where his foot was supposedly off bag.

He is nowhere near Luc's skill level are first. Blake still has a lot of work to do in developing better form for scooping short hopping throws.

I rate him as a mid-level SEC defensive first baseman. But, he is young and will only improve.

His bat will be elite; much better than Luc.

He is nowhere near Luc's skill level are first. Blake still has a lot of work to do in developing better form for scooping short hopping throws.

I rate him as a mid-level SEC defensive first baseman. But, he is young and will only improve.

His bat will be elite; much better than Luc.
Luc was very underrated for his D. Saved a lot of errors and stole some hits. My point is Blake will be our 1B until he’s drafted. No one is displacing him, and he wouldnt project well at another position. He will be a plus defensive first baseman.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Dickey is a pure hitter. It will definitely translate well to the next level.
This is debatable. In fact, I'd say the opposite is likely.

He puts the ball in play and that gets him a lot of hits at the college level.

But his swing is far from textbook. And I wouldn't count on him developing any real power, which is necessary for someone who isn't elite defensively.

Reactions: GBOTango
This is debatable. In fact, I'd say the opposite is likely.

He puts the ball in play and that gets him a lot of hits at the college level.

But his swing is far from textbook. And I wouldn't count on him developing any real power, which is necessary for someone who isn't elite defensively.
Not attacking you, but you don’t think that Dickey has power?

16 of his 38 hits last season were XBH with 7 of those being HRs.

This season, he’s got 30 hits with 10 being XBH and 5 HRs.

Imo, his power is above average already, and he doesn’t strike out a ton. No, he’s not Burke, but I do think he’s a better pure hitter than Beck or Gilbert. I think CMo is too.

Imo, his power is above average already, and he doesn’t strike out a ton. No, he’s not Burke, but I do think he’s a better pure hitter than Beck or Gilbert. I think CMo is too.
No worries. I didn't take it as an attack.

But I think it's relative. He's already 21 in a lefty-friendly park with a metal bat. A few extra base hits don't say much about how he projects for the future.

If he were an elite catcher, we might be talking about his power as an upside. But he's not. He'll play 1B or corner outfield at the next level, and those guys are measured on a different scale.

Dickey's slappy, contact-heavy profile just isn't that appealing for a guy who isn't great defensively.

No question he can swing the bat. However, arm strength, athleticism and mobility will hurt him in the draft.

VN Store

Back