Will Barnes Wear An Orange Sport Coat?

That's not really true, at least in MLB. It's just a holdover of the days of player managers and the changing of what the role of managers actually was. there are no rules that mandate what coaches have to wear. Now other levels of baseball, maybe there are mandates.

Why Do Baseball Managers Wear the Same Uniforms as Their Players?

Seems like it is a rule unless “managers” aren’t “coaches” as well. Manager in the cited rule seems to possibly refer to the GM.

“Rule 4.07 (under "Security" says that "No person shall be allowed on the playing field during a game except players and coaches in uniform, managers, news photographers authorized by the home team, umpires, officers of the law in uniform and watchmen or other employees of the home Club." Again, nothing about the managers being uniformed.”

I do wish coaches would wear more “business attire”. They don’t need to be out there in full suit and tie, but dress pants and a nice dress shirt wouldn’t hurt. As long as they aren’t in sweat pants and a T shirt like you see some lol

I don’t like the “Bring Awareness to Something I’ve forgotten” coaches wearing “sneakers” and suits look.

Imagine spending the rest of your life pining over a coach who will never return and who no other coach will ever live up to his inflated reputation.

Honestly, I don't understand why those kinds of people don't just become Auburn fans. If Tennessee basketball makes them so unhappy and Bruce Pearl gives them such a sense of fulfillment, it's really odd that they would eternally punish themselves with the convoluted belief that perhaps the prodigal son will ever return.

Such anguish that must be to hold inside.
By your argument we should all be Alabama fans because Saban is a better coach than Heupel. Just because a certain coach is better doesn’t make you a fan of that team.

Seems like it is a rule unless “managers” aren’t “coaches” as well. Manager in the cited rule seems to possibly refer to the GM.

“Rule 4.07 (under "Security" says that "No person shall be allowed on the playing field during a game except players and coaches in uniform, managers, news photographers authorized by the home team, umpires, officers of the law in uniform and watchmen or other employees of the home Club." Again, nothing about the managers being uniformed.”

I can buy that the base coaches be uniformed I guess, since they are out there during live play even though they're in foul ground. But the manager doesn't to me because they only step foot on the field when it's a dead ball situation.

Either way seems pretty outdated now. I think if a coaching staff decided to stop doing it it might cause a small stir initially from the people who whine about "unwritten rules" but quickly go away.

By your argument we should all be Alabama fans because Saban is a better coach than Heupel. Just because a certain coach is better doesn’t make you a fan of that team.
That's a pretty liberal (not to mention reckless) application of my argument.

Remind me of when Nick Saban coached at Tennessee, cheated, got busted, lied, asked a recruit and his family to lie, took a dump on his assistants behind closed doors while he negotiated himself a fat million-dollar buyout, and despite all that, still has fans fawning over him 10 years later to the point they will never enjoy Tennessee basketball again because no coach will ever match their schoolgirl crush on him.

This isn't a Barnes issue. It's a Bruce issue.

That's a pretty liberal (not to mention reckless) application of my argument.

Remind me of when Nick Saban coached at Tennessee, cheated, got busted, lied, asked a recruit and his family to lie, took a dump on his assistants behind closed doors while he negotiated himself a fat million-dollar buyout, and despite all that, still has fans fawning over him 10 years later to the point they will never enjoy Tennessee basketball again because no coach will ever match their schoolgirl crush on him.

This isn't a Barnes issue. It's a Bruce issue.

I've said it many times, but the thing that I 100% didn't want to happen was Pearl to come back and coach at another SEC team and succeed because a segment of our fanbase would never shut up about it. I didn't have a problem with him coming back, just not the SEC. Granted some would still be all "BBB" but it being a team we have to play every year makes it about 1000 times worse.

And that's why I constantly hope 1 of 3 things happen: 1) Auburn sucks 2) Pearl gets hired at a bigger job somewhere else 3) Pearl gets fired for either sucking or because he gets in trouble.

Sorry not sorry.

I always thought coaching in a suit seemed so uncomfortable and seemed like you'd get really hot.
It's a trend that needed to die. I never understood why anybody would want to spend 2 hours in an intense situation where they're constantly moving and yelling and deal with the distraction of being uncomfortable. You can tell how much they all hated it by how quickly the look went away and didn't come back.

In Georgia, everybody outside of downtown Atlanta looks at you like you're crazy if you walk into their office wearing a coat and tie from about May-October.

An orange leisure suit with a white shirt is pretty casual.
Leisure suit? What’s that?
…insert John travolta gif…
M2Cu.gif

Reactions: cardvolfan
My screen name comes one of my earliest vivid memories of Tennessee football, the two-point conversation to beat Clemson in 1974. Both were my heroes.
….there goes Holl…oooo…way!
Had a sitter that played with Seivers at Clinton. Martin. Pretty sure he was his qb.

I miss listening to John Ward describing the oranges raining down from Vandy’s student section.

In front of the crowd at games in Lexington versus Rupp, instead of quietly walking to TN’s bench he’d walk across the middle of the court sending them into a rabid frenzy. I wish that there was more of that history saved on video.
Coach Mears played the vandie crowd like a virtuoso, and John Ward described every moment to a T.

I never really understood coaches wearing suit and ties anyways. It just doesnt fit with the setting.

It's a professional job, and professional attire used to always be worn at all times. You used to not think of getting on a plane in anything but a suit and tie or a military dress uniform. Somewhere along the way people just stopped caring. Now you see people in grocery stores in their night clothes.

ole Mike Nolan gave it a shot
View attachment 427940

Yeah that's who I was thinking of, he wanted to wear a suit in tribute to his dad. He ended up cutting a deal with Reebok, who had a contract with the NFL that mandated coaches wear their stuff and they ended up making the suit for him. Jack Del Rio was the other coach who did it.

It's a professional job, and professional attire used to always be worn at all times. You used to not think of getting on a plane in anything but a suit and tie or a military dress uniform. Somewhere along the way people just stopped caring. Now you see people in grocery stores in their night clothes.
Pajamas in grocery stores is a little too far ill agree with that, but the professional stuff is just BS. You dont see a gym teacher wear a suit and tie because its not practical. Same thing for coaches when you have to jump and move around like they do.

VN Store

Back