Wi-Fi improvements at Neyland

Times change...

I remember the days of watching the game and trying to listen to the game on a transistor radio with one ear plug and hoping for decent reception..... When the kids got out of college I could actually afford a Walkman with the headsets.

Last edited:
I notice it does not say FREE Wi-Fi, it just says Wi-Fi, we shall see

giphy.gif

As with most things lately, if I want a deep dive on something, I get info from ChatGPT.

Here's what I learned about the tech we're employing here:

What is a VHD Network?
"Very High Density Wi-Fi" (VHD Wi-Fi) is a term used to describe the deployment of Wi-Fi networks in areas with a high concentration of users, such as stadiums, convention centers, and airports. In such environments, a large number of wireless devices may attempt to connect to the network at the same time, creating a high demand for wireless bandwidth and making it challenging to maintain reliable connectivity.

To overcome these challenges, VHD Wi-Fi networks typically utilize advanced technologies such as beamforming, MU-MIMO (Multi-User Multiple Input Multiple Output), and Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) to deliver higher network capacity, faster speeds, and improved reliability. These technologies enable VHD Wi-Fi networks to serve a larger number of clients simultaneously, reduce interference, and minimize latency.

In addition to technology, VHD Wi-Fi networks often require careful planning and design, including the placement and configuration of access points, to ensure optimal coverage and capacity. This involves conducting a site survey, identifying potential sources of interference, and using predictive modeling to determine the ideal number and location of access points for the specific environment.

For a stadium with 100,000 people in it, how many access points would be required? (The UT article said 1 per 55 people btw)
Determining the number of access points required for a stadium with 100,000 people can vary based on several factors, such as the size and shape of the stadium, the layout of the seating areas, and the expected usage patterns of the users. However, a general rule of thumb is to plan for approximately one access point for every 60-70 users in high-density environments like stadiums.

Based on this estimate, a stadium with 100,000 people would require around 1,400-1,700 access points to provide adequate coverage and capacity for all users. However, it's worth noting that this is just an estimate and the actual number of access points needed may vary depending on the specific requirements and characteristics of the stadium. A site survey and detailed network design would be necessary to determine the exact number and placement of access points required for optimal coverage and performance.

How is it possible to have reliable bandwidth for that many users coming into the stadium?
Providing reliable bandwidth for a stadium with 100,000 people can be challenging, especially if a large number of users are attempting to access the network at the same time. However, there are several techniques and technologies that can help to optimize network performance and ensure that users have a reliable connection.

One approach is to use multiple high-capacity fiber optic connections to provide backhaul connectivity to the stadium. This allows for greater bandwidth and more reliable connectivity than traditional copper-based connections.

Careful planning and design are also critical to ensuring reliable bandwidth. This involves conducting a thorough site survey to identify potential sources of interference and determining the optimal placement and configuration of access points for maximum coverage and capacity. Network engineers may also use simulation and modeling tools to predict network performance and identify potential bottlenecks or areas of concern.

Finally, implementing effective network management and monitoring tools can help to ensure that the network is performing optimally and quickly identify and troubleshoot any issues that arise. With the right combination of technology, planning, and management, it is possible to provide reliable bandwidth to a stadium with 100,000 people.

For a stadium, there could be tens of thousands of users on the same SSID, how is that dealt with securely?
In a high-density environment like a stadium, having tens of thousands of users on the same SSID can create security and performance challenges. However, with the proper security and network management measures in place, it is possible to provide a secure and reliable Wi-Fi experience for all users.

One approach to dealing with tens of thousands of users on the same SSID is to use a combination of access points, radio frequency management, and security measures to create smaller, virtual SSIDs or VLANs within the larger SSID. These virtual SSIDs or VLANs can be configured with different levels of security, QoS, and other network policies, to meet the needs of different user groups or applications.

For example, a virtual SSID or VLAN can be created for VIP guests, with more stringent security policies and higher QoS levels, while another virtual SSID or VLAN can be created for general admission users with more relaxed security policies and lower QoS levels. This approach allows the network administrator to manage and secure each virtual SSID or VLAN independently, while still providing a seamless Wi-Fi experience for all users.

In addition to using virtual SSIDs or VLANs, other measures can be implemented to ensure secure connectivity for all users, including:

1. User Authentication: As mentioned earlier, using strong authentication methods such as WPA3-Enterprise or 802.1X can help to ensure that only authorized users can access the network.
  2. Encryption: Using strong encryption protocols such as WPA3 can help to protect user data and prevent eavesdropping and other security threats.
  3. Firewall and Intrusion Detection/Prevention Systems: These systems can be used to monitor network traffic and detect and prevent potential security incidents.
  4. Network Monitoring: Regular monitoring of the network can help to identify potential security threats and performance issues before they become serious.
  5. Capacity Planning: Proper capacity planning and load balancing can help to ensure that the network can handle the high volume of users and traffic in a high-density environment like a stadium.
By implementing these measures, it is possible to provide a secure and reliable Wi-Fi experience for tens of thousands of users on the same SSID, while still maintaining the necessary security and performance standards.

In short: I understand why they waited until now to do this. Holy complicated batman.

Reactions: qwerty
Times change...

I remember the days of watching the game and trying to listen to the game on a transistor radio with one year plug and hoping for decent reception..... When the kids got out of college I could actually afford a Walkman with the headsets.
Me too.

When they have opened TB so fans can watch basketball practices on football gamedays, I have never had problem with Wi-Fi.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Times change...

I remember the days of watching the game and trying to listen to the game on a transistor radio with one ear plug and hoping for decent reception..... When the kids got out of college I could actually afford a Walkman with the headsets.

Yea, it wasn’t really Tennessee football unless John Ward was telling us what happened…man, we grew up in a golden era.

Reactions: Volfan1000
The RockyTopWiFi worked great in my section last night! I could check the weather radar during the delay, keep up with college football scores, and get online during all those commercial breaks and Austin Peay timeouts. LOL

My only complaint … it smelled like straight SEWAGE in our section down near the field in Z13 (by the visitor cheerleaders). I don’t know if there was a sewage backup or problem, but everyone around me was complaining. I just wondered where it was coming from or how many others could smell it.

VN Store

Back