Why would anybody want to be the OC here

If an OC comes here and succeeds, everyone media other schools etc will notice. Because we have been so bad, offensive improvement will appear larger and be more widely impactful in terms of being hyped and recognized.
This would a huge proving ground for future HC jobs.
I think anyone can win with bamas players. Come in a turn this hot mess around and you will look like the chosen one.
It actually makes a great deal of sense to me.

See I was thinking the same thing. If you suck it up you can say well look what I had to work with but if you turn it around in 2-3 years your stock is through the roof. But will our irrational fan base who doesn’t understand without an oline in the sec you can’t win stick with a guy after a bad season this year. I think our fans will do the same thing they did to Helton imo.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I’ve been trying to keep up with the OC search as much as possible. As a career move, what’s the pros of taking this job? God awful line. Slow over rated receivers who are bad route runners and can’t do much besides a quick slant or throw it up fade routes and hope for the best. No depth at any position. Best running back gets hurt often and wouldn’t see the field at bama or Georgia. Qb is mediocre at his absolute best. Can’t read a defense, see a blitz coming, ball always comes out late but tough as nails. Knowing the line is bad and freshman can’t win upfront in the sec means the offense will be bad next year no matter who the coach is. Why would a coach come to a school with no weapons to play with, no line, no qb (unless jt is secretly great). No matter the coach we hire or the recruits we bring in we’re going to be bad on offense next year and our crazy fans will want to run the OC out of town like we did to Helton this year before he got hired away. It’s a no win situation with everything to lose. Seems like a bad career move to me. Whoever we get will have nothing to play with next year and our fan base who doesn’t understand sec football and stability will be ready to fire whoever it is after the first game. Im in no way saying Helton was a good OC or bad because he never had any talent to play with and you’re pretty limited in what you can do when your gun has no bullets.[/QUOTE

Because this has become the place that is a “learning” clinic for wannabe coaches....then they typically leave here and do well! Its who we are!
This is the most expensive ‘learn on the job” haven for stepping up and scaling ones coaching carerr, that we ought to offer a degree from the university in “Coaching clinic to improve my carerr status”

With all this why are you still a fan? maybe they want the challenge of SEC football or get back into the SEC . No place to go but up too! I know its been a tough decade but surely the tide will turn hopefully.
That's great in Kum By Yah world, but any school can spend what they want for an OC so why go to UT?

With all this why are you still a fan? maybe they want the challenge of SEC football or get back into the SEC . No place to go but up too! I know its been a tough decade but surely the tide will turn hopefully.

So telling the truth and pointing out the obvious means I shouldn’t be a fan? We’re god awful and embarrassing to watch but the only game I missed this year was candy. It’s ok to be a real fan and be honest about the worst years of Tennessee football I’ve ever seen. We’re all in this nightmare together

I’ve been trying to keep up with the OC search as much as possible. As a career move, what’s the pros of taking this job? God awful line. Slow over rated receivers who are bad route runners and can’t do much besides a quick slant or throw it up fade routes and hope for the best. No depth at any position. Best running back gets hurt often and wouldn’t see the field at bama or Georgia. Qb is mediocre at his absolute best. Can’t read a defense, see a blitz coming, ball always comes out late but tough as nails. Knowing the line is bad and freshman can’t win upfront in the sec means the offense will be bad next year no matter who the coach is. Why would a coach come to a school with no weapons to play with, no line, no qb (unless jt is secretly great). No matter the coach we hire or the recruits we bring in we’re going to be bad on offense next year and our crazy fans will want to run the OC out of town like we did to Helton this year before he got hired away. It’s a no win situation with everything to lose. Seems like a bad career move to me. Whoever we get will have nothing to play with next year and our fan base who doesn’t understand sec football and stability will be ready to fire whoever it is after the first game. Im in no way saying Helton was a good OC or bad because he never had any talent to play with and you’re pretty limited in what you can do when your gun has no bullets.

Paragraphs are your friend

Trust me, I wish the truth was different too.

I agree with most of what you said but I do think you were a little harsh on the offensive talent but the picture is not as rosy as some fans want to believe. That delusion is what leads to some of the the other problems you mentioned.

I gave you a "like" for hitting a triple off the wall.

Go Vols!

Reactions: HonestVol24
I agree with most of what you said but I do think you were a little harsh on the offensive talent but the picture is not as rosy as some fans want to believe. That delusion is what leads to some of the the other problems you mentioned.

I gave you a "like" for hitting a triple off the wall.

Go Vols!

I appreciate it lol. Just Imo I think our receivers are highly over rated and obviously slow. Chandler is a good back but not great and there’s just no depth there. Oline has been talked about enough we all see that.

1) Because Tennessee is one of the top historic programs in the country.

2) We can recruit top athletes from anywhere in the country.

3) We have some of the best facilities, fan support, and student/athlete support staff.

4) We finally have a talented head coach who will put even more guys in the NFL.

5) Because we are the most hungry program in the country to win. Win here again and you will be a hero for life.

Can we stop acting like Tennessee is a second class school? Every program has down periods including every team in the playoffs. We are coming back, so have a great OC come in and tell the football nation to look out.

Great post. I don't think the OP will deny that.

I believe what he is saying is when you look at the way a lot of these nutty fruitcakes act how does it make this job attractive? They just tried to run off the last OC like he was supposed to make chicken salad out of chicken $hit. Total turnoff.

This is still a quality job but if a quality OC has a lot of good choices other small things can make a difference.

Reactions: HonestVol24
TYUf.gif
Cryme Tyme! Shad Gaspard with the big boot!

Reactions: dduncan4163
Great post. I don't think the OP will deny that.

I believe what he is saying is when you look at the way a lot of these nutty fruitcakes act how does it make this job attractive? They just tried to run off the last OC like he was supposed to make chicken salad out of chicken $hit. Total turnoff.

This is still a quality job but if a quality OC has a lot of good choices other small things can make a difference.

Spot on. Others schools have money too and rosters in a lot better shape. Other OCs saw how we treated Helton when he had ZERO to play with. It’s going to Be the same for atleast one more year so why volunteer to get ran off before you have a chance to build a quality system with QUALITY talent.

Reactions: BreatheUT
You don't seem to understand something - we deserve nothing short of pure satisfaction. It is our God-given right to win football games. Mullen was 9-3 with a squad that went 4-8 last year. No excuses. Can't stand the criticism, keep your sorry arse in CUSA, the Sun Belt, or some other Third World conference.

I’ve been trying to keep up with the OC search as much as possible. As a career move, what’s the pros of taking this job? God awful line. Slow over rated receivers who are bad route runners and can’t do much besides a quick slant or throw it up fade routes and hope for the best. No depth at any position. Best running back gets hurt often and wouldn’t see the field at bama or Georgia. Qb is mediocre at his absolute best. Can’t read a defense, see a blitz coming, ball always comes out late but tough as nails. Knowing the line is bad and freshman can’t win upfront in the sec means the offense will be bad next year no matter who the coach is. Why would a coach come to a school with no weapons to play with, no line, no qb (unless jt is secretly great). No matter the coach we hire or the recruits we bring in we’re going to be bad on offense next year and our crazy fans will want to run the OC out of town like we did to Helton this year before he got hired away. It’s a no win situation with everything to lose. Seems like a bad career move to me. Whoever we get will have nothing to play with next year and our fan base who doesn’t understand sec football and stability will be ready to fire whoever it is after the first game. Im in no way saying Helton was a good OC or bad because he never had any talent to play with and you’re pretty limited in what you can do when your gun has no bullets.

You, sir, stand out among the legion of miserables.

You do realize that in two years, 90 percent of of the team will never have played a down in the CBJ era? They will never have met him.

You can take over this program or you could take over Saban’s current program, and in three or four years, it’s pretty much yours. Your recruits developed by your coaching.

Coaches take jobs because they believe they can recruit and develop what it takes to win.

It’s the beauty and curse of college football. The roster is always churning.

VN Store

Back