Why UT wins 9 + in 2020

When looking back at this year to make sense of it, the insights come from a dark moment... We had just lost to BYU and a dejected mind was looking for hope. For me I told myself 3 things:

1. This is an elite coaching staff that "knows what good looks like"
2. This coaching staff said that they like this teams makeup and talent. Many times Pruitt said as much about the Dline... Ending his statements with something to the effect of, "they just haven't played and need experience."
3. Against GSU Darrell Taylor, Alonte Taylor, and Nigel Warrior we're the only players on D that started who had meaningful snaps. So it really was inexperienced. And against BYU, UT outplayed them by 2 tds so there was hope.

Then came Florida and I lost all hope.... BUT

If you look at the last 8 games you saw a team that was playing above it's talent level on Defense, and probably at it's talent level on offense (our offense was ranked about 55th over second half of season and played against 4 top 30 defenses).

So at the end of the season, here are my thoughts on next year...

1. With this staff, UT will be better at every position except receiver where there won't be as big of a drop-off as people think and we will pass for more yards next year and maybe OLB. And yes, I think we will be better a MLB and DB. If BK comes back then the Oline will be most improved group on team even with TS leaving. Just look at what the staff did with Emerson, Bennett, Nigel, Bumphus and others that would have been 4 year losers under Butch. This same thing will happen next year with players like Crouch, Fields, Keyton, Simmons, insert player name here.

2. 2nd year in Chaney's system. Look at UGA year 1 vs 2 in Chaney's system. Huge difference that will result in a running game breakout for Ty Chandler (yes I said Ty, not Eric Gray). Ty has the misfortune of spending his first 2 years behind miserable O lines and that has been 2 years of holes not existing and not building on the skillset of finding and hitttting the hole. Just wait and see the vision come back in year 2 with Chaney.

3. Talent. I know UT is only recruiting in the top 15 for now, but between Pruitt's evaluation ability and this staffs ability to develop players probably puts UT in the top 10 in talent.

So next year I think UT wins the games it should win especially with KY Mizz, Vandy, Ark, and SC all being pretty down next year.

Then it will pick off 1 or 2 against OU, UF, UGA, and Bama.
I think we can upset one of the big 4 but also may play a dud against one of the others. 7-5 to 9-3 is the range IMO.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
I see a more likely scenario of us beating Georgia or Florida. We have the talent to beat both. Then losing one to Kentucky, South Carolina, or Vandy. 8-4 or 9-3 is possible.

If we land Darnell Washington, we'll be kicking ass and taking names. Dude is an athletic freak and mismatch nightmare. Our defense is becoming lethal and our decent o-line next year will be more experienced. If Bailey wins the starting job, look out. This team will be formidable.
Now, if we don't get Washington and Bailey doesn't start, then yeah we'll still be a decent team probably looking at 8 wins.

Where are they? What happened?

I don't know, sir. They must have hyperjets on that thing!

And what do we have on this thing, a Quisenart?

Where I am with you, is that I think that between (A) Tennessee’s improvement and (B) I don’t think the bottom feeders of the East improve next year, I think Tennessee should have a safe eight.

Those safe eight are the OOC cupcakes, Mizzou, Kentucky, Vandy, Arkansas and South Carolina. The best of those teams may be Kentucky. If he loses any of these games, there will be a lot of growling

However, I don’t think Tennessee takes the next step of beating Oklahoma, Florida, Georgia or Alabama.

But, hey, it’s December 2019. A long way until September 2020

I think Vols will have a real shot to win 2 games vs Oklahoma, Florida, Georgia or Alabama lineup, but also will probably lose 1-2 against those teams we are not supposed to lose against. This is because we still have a young and relatively inexperienced team with not enough depth so there will be ups and downs. Having said this I think UF and OU are our best hope for 'upset' wins next year.

Where I am with you, is that I think that between (A) Tennessee’s improvement and (B) I don’t think the bottom feeders of the East improve next year, I think Tennessee should have a safe eight.

Those safe eight are the OOC cupcakes, Mizzou, Kentucky, Vandy, Arkansas and South Carolina. The best of those teams may be Kentucky. If he loses any of these games, there will be a lot of growling

However, I don’t think Tennessee takes the next step of beating Oklahoma, Florida, Georgia or Alabama.

But, hey, it’s December 2019. A long way until September 2020
Agree with all this, except I think we get one of the 4 to get to 9 wins. Correction....technically 1 of the 3 since Florida is an automatic loss. Literally have a better chance of beating Alabama, Georgia or Oklahoma, all recent playoff teams multiple times, than Florida.

If we land Darnell Washington, we'll be kicking ass and taking names. Dude is an athletic freak and mismatch nightmare. Our defense is becoming lethal and our decent o-line next year will be more experienced. If Bailey wins the starting job, look out. This team will be formidable.
Now, if we don't get Washington and Bailey doesn't start, then yeah we'll still be a decent team probably looking at 8 wins.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see us land Washington, but didn't we say the same things about DWA? He's also a mismatch, but for some reason, we just haven't made him a focal point of the offense. Wonder if it's our qb favoring the WRs or is it Chaney's offense? UGA always had great TE that absolutely gave teams fits. Really thought we'd see DWA be a lot more of a weapon than we did. I'll not be surprised when he's drafted and becomes the TE version of Alvin Kamara.

Reactions: 08Vol
it’s a line from the movie “Spaceballs”

to translate how it applies to the post I quoted.....i‘m not concerned about what you have or what you are getting.

Florida has some stuff of their own
Ok. I didnt assume you were concerned at all, nor was I trying to imply FL didn't have their own elite prospects. 🤷 I mean, this a forum in which we share opinions. You had an opinion. I was giving mine as well. Im not sure how you came to the conclusion that I was insinuating fl's class is weak or whatever.

Reactions: trapper
someone explain how Florida's roster is better. It's Pruitt's third year. Gators at home. Why shouldn't we win?

Not sure if you really wanted a roster review for Florida, but here you go:

Offense: Florida loses quite a lot of contributors, especially at WR where they lose Van Jefferson, Freddie Swain, Tyrie Cleveland and Frankie Hammond. That’s some serious firepower gone. They do have some talent returning (shows how ridiculously deep they were this year at WR). They return Kadarius Toney, Tre Grimes, Kyle Pitts, Jacob Copeland. They also lose RB Perine, but do have Dameon Pierce and Malik Davis returning. TE is set with Kyle Pitts (all American candidate). They have Trask and Emory Jones back at QB. Interesting, Trask was the third best QB in about every category last year behind Burrow and Tua despite starting only 8 games. He’ll be the SEC’s leading returning QB if Tua leaves. A weakness this year should be a strength next year, the o-line. The two-deep at both tackle and guard spots return, the have to replace the center. They’ve got numerous guys redshirting and a huge positive is this current 2020 commit list which has some of the highest rated o-line prospects UF has had in years.

Defense: the big losses are the DE’s Greenard and Zuniga. But Florida has a nice pipeline of pass rushers waiting in the wings. Next year watch for Mahmoud Diabate/Zach Carter/Kris Bogle, they all flashed dominance at times this year playing behind Greenard and Zu. The interior D-line returns starters Kyree Campbell and Tadarell Slaton but they do lose some depth guys Adam Shuler and Luke Ancrum. Another positive in the current 2020 recruiting class is the d-line haul may be among the best in school history. UF has 6 d-line commits and they’re all highly-rated and big-bodied. UF loses Mr Reliable at MLB in David Reese. They have guys who have played a ton ready to fill in (Ventrell Miller, James Houston and Amari Burney). In the secondary, they lose CJ Henderson to the NFL and Jawan Taylor to graduation. CB Marco Wilson is on the fence about the NFL right now. It’ll be a big loss if he leaves. Tray Dean and Kaair Dean both return as experienced CB’s. At safety, Brad Stewart, Donovan Stiner and Shawn Davis return (although Davis may also go pro). In this position too, UF is absolutely LOADED in the 2020 recruiting class. 8 highly rated players ready to upgrade the entire secondary.

Kicker returns, punter will be new.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see us land Washington, but didn't we say the same things about DWA? He's also a mismatch, but for some reason, we just haven't made him a focal point of the offense. Wonder if it's our qb favoring the WRs or is it Chaney's offense? UGA always had great TE that absolutely gave teams fits. Really thought we'd see DWA be a lot more of a weapon than we did. I'll not be surprised when he's drafted and becomes the TE version of Alvin Kamara.
Idk, I don't remember much hype with DWA. He's alright, but not impressive by any means. He's not comparable imo. He's had every opportunity to separate himself and show that he's elite, has he though?

Ok. I didnt assume you were concerned at all, nor was I trying to imply FL didn't have their own elite prospects. 🤷 I mean, this a forum in which we share opinions. You had an opinion. I was giving mine as well. Im not sure how you came to the conclusion that I was insinuating fl's class is weak or whatever.

The big thing Tennessee has to improve to take the next step is still the defensive front 7.

i think the offense will be fine if they get good QB play

So which is it, Florida has a worse roster, or Mullen walked into a bunch of talent?

Well let's see now - Does quarterback play factor into which team has better key players at key positions ? If that is the case and judging by this season when Trask was playing at a 95 % clip and was dramatically better than our qb - who was playing at about a 30 % clip at the time - then ……… question answered. I think we can stop there.
Switch quarterbacks and we might not beat them, but we are a lot closer.

If we played them now - it would also be a much closer game.

When looking back at this year to make sense of it, the insights come from a dark moment... We had just lost to BYU and a dejected mind was looking for hope. For me I told myself 3 things:

2. This coaching staff said that they like this teams makeup and talent. Many times Pruitt said as much about the Dline... Ending his statements with something to the effect of, "they just haven't played and need experience."
3. Against GSU Darrell Taylor, Alonte Taylor, and Nigel Warrior we're the only players on D that started who had meaningful snaps. So it really was inexperienced. And against BYU, UT outplayed them by 2 tds so there was hope.

If you look at the last 8 games you saw a team that was playing above it's talent level on Defense, and probably at it's talent level on offense (our offense was ranked about 55th over second half of season and played against 4 top 30 defenses).

1. With this staff, UT will be better at every position except receiver where there won't be as big of a drop-off as people think and we will pass for more yards next year and maybe OLB. And yes, I think we will be better a MLB and DB. If BK comes back then the Oline will be most improved group on team even with TS leaving. Just look at what the staff did with Emerson, Bennett, Nigel, Bumphus and others that would have been 4 year losers under Butch. This same thing will happen next year with players like Crouch, Fields, Keyton, Simmons, insert player name here.

2. 2nd year in Chaney's system. Look at UGA year 1 vs 2 in Chaney's system. Huge difference that will result in a running game breakout for Ty Chandler (yes I said Ty, not Eric Gray). Ty has the misfortune of spending his first 2 years behind miserable O lines and that has been 2 years of holes not existing and not building on the skillset of finding and hitttting the hole. Just wait and see the vision come back in year 2 with Chaney.

3. Talent. I know UT is only recruiting in the top 15 for now, but between Pruitt's evaluation ability and this staffs ability to develop players probably puts UT in the top 10 in talent.

So next year I think UT wins the games it should win especially with KY Mizz, Vandy, Ark, and SC all being pretty down next year.

Here we go

Idk, I don't remember much hype with DWA. He's alright, but not impressive by any means. He's not comparable imo. He's had every opportunity to separate himself and show that he's elite, has he though?

He was a 4 star out of JUCO. The #2 TE overall and the top JUCO recruit out of CA for his cycle. Everyone felt he was a lock for Bama. At 6'4" and 250lbs, he's a load. Got decent speed and hands. Just isn't really a point of emphasis in our offense. Just a feeling he's going to really shine as a pro and we'll be wondering why he didn't show out more while at UTK.

Not sure if you really wanted a roster review for Florida, but here you go:

Offense: Florida loses quite a lot of contributors, especially at WR where they lose Van Jefferson, Freddie Swain, Tyrie Cleveland and Frankie Hammond. That’s some serious firepower gone. They do have some talent returning (shows how ridiculously deep they were this year at WR). They return Kadarius Toney, Tre Grimes, Kyle Pitts, Jacob Copeland. They also lose RB Perine, but do have Dameon Pierce and Malik Davis returning. TE is set with Kyle Pitts (all American candidate). They have Trask and Emory Jones back at QB. Interesting, Trask was the third best QB in about every category last year behind Burrow and Tua despite starting only 8 games. He’ll be the SEC’s leading returning QB if Tua leaves. A weakness this year should be a strength next year, the o-line. The two-deep at both tackle and guard spots return, the have to replace the center. They’ve got numerous guys redshirting and a huge positive is this current 2020 commit list which has some of the highest rated o-line prospects UF has had in years.

Defense: the big losses are the DE’s Greenard and Zuniga. But Florida has a nice pipeline of pass rushers waiting in the wings. Next year watch for Mahmoud Diabate/Zach Carter/Kris Bogle, they all flashed dominance at times this year playing behind Greenard and Zu. The interior D-line returns starters Kyree Campbell and Tadarell Slaton but they do lose some depth guys Adam Shuler and Luke Ancrum. Another positive in the current 2020 recruiting class is the d-line haul may be among the best in school history. UF has 6 d-line commits and they’re all highly-rated and big-bodied. UF loses Mr Reliable at MLB in David Reese. They have guys who have played a ton ready to fill in (Ventrell Miller, James Houston and Amari Burney). In the secondary, they lose CJ Henderson to the NFL and Jawan Taylor to graduation. CB Marco Wilson is on the fence about the NFL right now. It’ll be a big loss if he leaves. Tray Dean and Kaair Dean both return as experienced CB’s. At safety, Brad Stewart, Donovan Stiner and Shawn Davis return (although Davis may also go pro). In this position too, UF is absolutely LOADED in the 2020 recruiting class. 8 highly rated players ready to upgrade the entire secondary.

Kicker returns, punter will be new.

Just for S and Giggles, I'll engage you. Do you think the roster you described for next year is remarkably better than ours?

Let's say it is. The talent disparity is a problem at Pruitt's feet. There is no reason that we should be be acquiescing to a Gator loss in year three under Pruitt. Florida had a losing season before Mullen. I can accept not having caught up to Georgia at this point, because their recruiting has just been astronomical (even though I think they are very vulnerable next year).

Let's say it's not. Time for Pruitt to win something of consequence. (No, I don't really consider the Auburn game last year some crowning achievement). No matter how you dice it. Pruitt needs to beat florida or his ass needs to go.

Do you think the roster you described for next year is remarkably better than ours?

I can accept not having caught up to Georgia at this point, because their recruiting has just been astronomical (even though I think they are very vulnerable next year).

If Fromm leaves, UGA takes a huge step back. I know the perception is that he played poorly most of last year, but my take is that he’s a damn good Qb who masked Georgia’s issues and held that offense together as much as he possibly could. He leaves, they won’t be the same.

Regarding UF-UT talent comparison, it’s pick your poison for UT. And I’m not trying to talk smack or take a shot at UT, but it’s either Florida has better talent or Florida is vastly better coached. Or maybe a little of both.

If you don’t subscribe to either of those then you get into unprovable guesswork like “we were unlucky, or if not for turnovers, or if not for the officials” and stuff like that.

Florida loses enough talent from 2019 to 2020 that they can be vulnerable in Knoxville next year if some young guys they are relying on aren’t as good as UF coaches and fans think they are.

If Fromm leaves, UGA takes a huge step back. I know the perception is that he played poorly most of last year, but my take is that he’s a damn good Qb who masked Georgia’s issues and held that offense together as much as he possibly could. He leaves, they won’t be the same.

Regarding UF-UT talent comparison, it’s pick your poison for UT. And I’m not trying to talk smack or take a shot at UT, but it’s either Florida has better talent or Florida is vastly better coached. Or maybe a little of both.

If you don’t subscribe to either of those then you get into unprovable guesswork like “we were unlucky, or if not for turnovers, or if not for the officials” and stuff like that.

Florida loses enough talent from 2019 to 2020 that they can be vulnerable in Knoxville next year if some young guys they are relying on aren’t as good as UF coaches and fans think they are.

I actually completely agree with you on everything. I don't think Florida's talent next year will be exceptionally better than Florida's. I think it's time for UT to win. My issue is with my brethren who seem to just concede this game. I don't think Florida has had tons more talent in the last two years. I don't think Florida will have tons more next year. Even if Florida did, Pruitt will have had time to catch up in terms of recruiting. I think he was a desperate hire in a horrible coaching search. It pains me that your other rival in FSU already rid themselves of their mistake that they hired that same year. We should have gone after Norvell and we should have gone after him hard.

I actually completely agree with you on everything. I don't think Florida's talent next year will be exceptionally better than Florida's. I think it's time for UT to win. My issue is with my brethren who seem to just concede this game. I don't think Florida has had tons more talent in the last two years. I don't think Florida will have tons more next year. Even if Florida did, Pruitt will have had time to catch up in terms of recruiting. I think he was a desperate hire in a horrible coaching search. It pains me that your other rival in FSU already rid themselves of their mistake that they hired that same year. We should have gone after Norvell and we should have gone after him hard.

Oh, as I have also stated before. I absolutely hate the Tennessee whining over officiating. It's embarrassing for us

Sound points.

So hard to speculate for next year. If you go by rate of improvement, he definitely beats one of those teams.

VN Store

Back