Why the Memphis players chose not to attend UT camp...

well, in reference to the thread that dealt with nike, addidas, or UA being the most preferred, this has cemented my position...keep the addidas, and go to hell nike.

not that addidas is probably any better, but they didnt dick us over :)

Last edited:
Dude, everyone knows this (And I am sure Nike told the athletes this)... if you wear Vapors you look faster.

The Easterwood guy is a clown. Most respectable coaches around Memphis want nothing to do with him. This is the same guy that went on a Memphis message board claiming that he had just gotten off the phone with Pearl and said he was headed to Memphis to work out a contract. He claims to be tight with Pearl, but my impression from others is that Pearl deals with him because he typically has some good AAU kids in his program.

Last Friday, I was listening to the local Fox Sports Station afternoon show, when Easterwood just showed up and wanted to go on air with the host. He said he had been a coach in the camp and just had to stop by to talk about how great the camp was. He started talking about how Pastner went head to head with Pearl and used Nike to pull the kids away. he then then went on to tout how strong Memphis will still be in recruiting and said one of his players, Joe Jackson, was all but a lock to go to Memphis.

It really sounds to me like Mr. Easterwood is the one that is using people against each other to get stuff for himself. i am thinking that somewhere in the thick NCAA rule book, Memphis has broken some sort of rule via Nike for influencing where kids are attending camp.

"I polled my kids after a game," Easterwood said. "I asked 12 kids: 'Do you want to go to the Memphis Elite Camp or the Tennessee Elite Camp?' ... And all of them, to a man, said they wanted to go to Knoxville. Well, that was good for me. So we did what we had to do to get prepared to get them up there, talked to parents, one thing and another."

"I got some calls, some were shoe-affiliated," Easterwood said. "Nike, Adidas, you can connect the dots. ... Memphis is Nike. I'm with a Nike AAU program. And it was expressed to me that it would be in my best interests to stay home and not make the trip to Knoxville, which is what we ultimately did."

A corporation openly influencing recruiting does not seem like it is within NCAA rules. But since these guys aren't in college, I guess anything goes. Ridiculous. I don't care enough about them to hate them, but I have no respect at all for that school.

Pretty sure the only pair of Nikes I've ever had was a gift.
It won't hurt their bottom line, but I won't be buying Nike anytime soon - that's for sure.

It would probably be the same if we were a Nike school. Adidas would not want them here.

You have to wonder if the perks Adidas provides is worth it if so many kids prefer Nike, even for trivial things like this. A prospect won't sign with a school based on their apparel sponsorship, but this is one less chance for these guys to get confortable in Knoxville.

The apparel companies having any sway in collegiate athletics is disgusting. But it all starts with AAU.

A corporation openly influencing recruiting does not seem like it is within NCAA rules. But since these guys aren't in college, I guess anything goes. Ridiculous. I don't care enough about them to hate them, but I have no respect at all for that school.

This happens everywhere - UK, KU, Duke, UNC, etc. At the end of the day, this is all about marketing shoes and apparel.

VN Store

Back