Why the Florida Game Doesn't Really Matter

Something drastic DID happen. It was Mike Hamilton. He took what was a 6-5 historical program that everyone thought was a top tier program, watched it become top tier, then fire them. Then brought in the best he could. That failed as did the two after. The big timers do not come here. Or Georgia. Or almost anywhere. They stay. You get the coordinators and mid majors
Auburn - Coordinator to mid major
USC - failed HC, coordinator
Georgia - coordinator
Florida - HC at a mid level Power 5
Mississippi State - Coordinator

You have a guy that has inherited a mess that dates to 2008. He will not fix it overnight. Saban didn't. Kelly isn't. Relax people.

I don't know what the heck you meant to say, but it seems like what you did say is that Tennessee was historically a 6-5 program before Phil Fulmer.

Think again.

We were historically a 7-3 program to that point. From 1891 to 1991, in the years we fielded a team, we averaged 10 games a year. And won 7.

In today's world of 12-game regular seasons plus a bowl, that equates to 9-4 seasons, on average.

That's who we are, historically. 6-5 my butt.

But I'm sure that's not what you really meant to say.

Just saying people on here should not have the pitch forks out and be declaring CJP isn't the guy, if we lose. In the same fashion FSU people declaring Taggart should be fired, or Kelly at UCLA, should realize it takes time. It is more likely than not we are a 4-8, 5-7 team this year unless Lock or Shurmer are injured. Next yr 8-4, 7-5 at best. Now by 2020 CJP will gave his guys. We should keep it relatively competitive with GA.

Regardless of the outcome Saturday, we're talking about a couple of less than mediocre teams. Unless JG turns into a transcendent talent, we're looking at a couple more mediocre years, at best. By 2020, maybe we got the Jimmys and Joes to stay within a couple scores if Bama and GA, but I am not holding my breath. On the bright side, maybe we'll he back to a place where we don't gave to sweat the Vandy, Mizzou and Ky. Which is pretty much where we should be on average. I will close by saying just enjoy the FL game for what it is. If we lose, it doesn't mean CJP isn't the guy. If by 2020, he doesn't have us to where I eluded to earlier then you can make that argument. But for now, we just have realize it's going to be 2yrs before we are going to be a second tier SEC team.
I agree with much of what you say. It is a big game in the sense that it may mark something of a turn around, and a win sure helps get the team closer to bowl eligibility. But the CBS game of the week it ain't. Both of these programs are struggling right now. Which one recovers from its troubles first may set the pecking order for years to come.

Something drastic DID happen. It was Mike Hamilton. He took what was a 6-5 historical program that everyone thought was a top tier program, watched it become top tier, then fire them. Then brought in the best he could. That failed as did the two after. The big timers do not come here. Or Georgia. Or almost anywhere. They stay. You get the coordinators and mid majors
Georgia - coordinator

You have a guy that has inherited a mess that dates to 2008. He will not fix it overnight. Saban didn't. Kelly isn't. Relax people.
Do you actually read my posts or do you just see red whenever anyone says something that isn’t sunshine pumping? It just feels like you completely miss the point of my post... I mean word for word in my post I say that I am not condemning the Pruitt hire yet your posts talks about calm down he inherited a mess. Yes I understand that, not really sure how to make it more clear, my post isn’t about the coach.

Regardless of the outcome Saturday, we're talking about a couple of less than mediocre teams. Unless JG turns into a transcendent talent, we're looking at a couple more mediocre years, at best. By 2020, maybe we got the Jimmys and Joes to stay within a couple scores if Bama and GA, but I am not holding my breath. On the bright side, maybe we'll he back to a place where we don't gave to sweat the Vandy, Mizzou and Ky. Which is pretty much where we should be on average. I will close by saying just enjoy the FL game for what it is. If we lose, it doesn't mean CJP isn't the guy. If by 2020, he doesn't have us to where I eluded to earlier then you can make that argument. But for now, we just have realize it's going to be 2yrs before we are going to be a second tier SEC team.

You must not know how many returning starters were gonna have back next year. outside of the defensive line we are gonna be pretty good next year just based off of returning talent. We aren’t as far off as you claim we are. GBO

Georgia - coordinator

Also I understand you probably aren’t going to go out and steal one of the big dogs from another bigtime program, however you can try a little harder than our previous searches. I mean Dooley and butch did not have the resumes to even be considered up and comers, not even close. Not sure why that is so hard understand. As far as Pruitt goes he deserves a shot and I’m giving it to him, but I’m not going to blow sunshine up peoples butts for no good reason either. So historically we are a 6-5 program? That’s weird because our overall record is 833–383–53 so I’m pretty sure you aren’t even close there partner, but please keep telling us why we are historically a mediocre program and should expect nothing more.

Reactions: GRN1926
Just saying people on here should not have the pitch forks out and be declaring CJP isn't the guy, if we lose. In the same fashion FSU people declaring Taggart should be fired, or Kelly at UCLA, should realize it takes time. It is more likely than not we are a 4-8, 5-7 team this year unless Lock or Shurmer are injured. Next yr 8-4, 7-5 at best. Now by 2020 CJP will gave his guys. We should keep it relatively competitive with GA.
Dude why does everyone just go into the defend the coach stance in every thread!?!? This thread isn’t about Pruitt, it’s about some now trying to convince us that the Florida game isn’t important to us, which is nothing short of blasphemy. I don’t really think anyone is bashing pruitt but my lord the hordes of coach worshippers have already come in and turned this thread into a defend Pruitt thread.. your literally defending him from air in this thread, no one is attacking him in this thread.

Every game matters and Pruitt, as an unproven head coach, desperately needs an early signature win to give him and this program some forward momentum.

This program is never going to build that momentum if every damned season turns into " wait until next year " within the first month.

Given the 4 game stretch after this, it's even more important to win this game as there likely won't be many bright spots in October.

Reactions: hog88
You're right. But the problem is, nobody has any real confidence that CJP is THE GUY. It's just another roll of the dice. And the way our luck has been since 2001 and the lack of any TRUE leadership in the big money donors, admin, etc... you can't blame anyone for not being too optimistic.

Pruitt may or may not be the guy but there are a lot of things so far to like.

If you want to say beating UF doesn't mean what it once did, that they aren't very good so beating them might not prove much, or that in the scheme of who wins the East this game will not factor much, then I doubt anyone would disagree with any of those opinions.

But to say it doesn't matter at all? Winning the game, especially an SEC game, always matters. We haven't won an SEC game since Nov. 2016.

20-25 years ago this game mattered because the winner was going to compete for a national championship.

15-20 years ago it mattered because the winner was going to compete to win the SEC.

5-15 years ago it mattered because the winner was going to compete to win the SEC East.

Now it matters because the winner gets to claim it is a bit further along than the loser in trying to get back to any of the above.

Reactions: guevara

Beating Florida wont matter in the big picture, but it will matter. We need to beat them once before we can beat them again and again. Also, if we can beat UF, maybe we win two other games and make a bowl but if we cant beat them we may not win an SEC game at all.

Negavols are being shipped out Friday on a midnight train to Georgia, be on it.

Saying us beating UF doesn't matter because we're both not very good is like UK or Vandy fans saying beating us in the past few years doesn't matter because we weren't any good. Of course it mattered to them.

Think about what you just said. We barely beat UGA when they were playing a FR QB. We lose a game like that 99 times out of 100. But just look at the difference one year makes. We go from barely winning to getting absolutely demolished at home. Lets look at what UGA is doing in recruiting. They are signing classes that are unreal. Meanwhile, we get in the top 10-15. Its a sad pill to swallow but yes its gonna take more time than many want to get back to being good. Competeing with UGA? Its likely thats a pipe dream now. We are so far behind them it osnt even funny. UGA is our new Bama.

Why? Why can Kirby recruit like gangbusters and CJP cant?

If we arent competing with UGA in season three of this regime we likely arent going to be anytime soon.

This and every game matters. If for no other reason, day to day business operations. More wins equal higher ticket sales, donations. higher quality coaches (should a position come open), better recruits. The more games you win, the more money that's brought in. I just don't think this game or any other this season should be reflective of our current coaching staff.

VN Store

Back