Why so umpires make bad call

Did you umpire as well?

7 sports including mens' baseball (semi-pro/minors).

The one thing that annoys me about many umps is that they have rabbit ears. How many players/managers have you seen ejected, without warning, from the dugout because someone in there yelled "Oh c'mon that was outside" or something like that? Or a pitcher shows visibly frustrated body language because he didn't get a strike call he wanted, and the ump comes out from behind home plate, takes the mask off, and throws him out? In those particular instances the complexion of a game, or maybe even string of games (if you end up having to run through your bullpen), is changed because a team's starting pitcher got thrown out in the 2nd inning for making a face after a not getting a pitch he wanted.

I don't approve of any ejection that is not preceded by a warning.

I get that you can't argue balls and strikes - warn them and if it continues then eject, but so many of these guys are just on a hair trigger and seemingly think people are there to see them. It's like they get their rocks off on throwing a player, especially a star player, out of the game in a key spot that potentially affects the outcome of the game.

If you get a reputation for doing that in amateur baseball, you'll find your # of games available to you drastically lowered. In pro ball, they'll have your a$$, tossing out players of importance willy-nilly is a no-no. Too many $$$ involved.

The only game I ever called 'over' in the first inning due to player/manager abuse was a slow-pitch women's Church of Christ softball.

Lord, help me, the mouths' and attitudes would amaze you.

Reactions: 05_never_again
pretty easy to see if someone is running down the lines to 1B. They just happened to see it in game 6 of the WS

Easy to see, tough to call when you are having to time the ball release (or player set-up) for a throw up the line while checking to be sure the B isn't interfering with the throw by being our of the basepath.

VN Store

Back