Why red-hot Tennessee is ready to be No. 1 if Michigan or Virginia stumble (Mike Lopresti NCAA.com)

Just my opinion but I’d rather they not be #1
Why? I would. It would be a huge reward for this team, this coaching staff, and this fan base.

I don't want to hear "Because I would rather us not be No. 1 so we're still overlooked and play with a chip." We're not getting overlooked by anyone at this point, regardless of where we're ranked. And I don't think being No. 1 is going to suddenly soften these guys.

I know where you're coming from and sometimes feel that way too as winning the NCAA tournament is the ultimate goal. It comes with the territory at this level so the team faces this as an eventuality on the way to accomplishing the goal for this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vols All Day
I think they have the mental toughness to handle it and can still stay hungry until they have won a championship.

Reactions: FlVols
Why? I would. It would be a huge reward for this team, this coaching staff, and this fan base.

I don't want to hear "Because I would rather us not be No. 1 so we're still overlooked and play with a chip." We're not getting overlooked by anyone at this point, regardless of where we're ranked. And I don't think being No. 1 is going to suddenly soften these guys.

If they can’t keep their focus against a lack luster team in Arkansas I feel like #1 would be a distraction.

Keep climbing and end at #1 when it matters in March

Reactions: supersmo18
I know where you're coming from and sometimes feel that way too as winning the tournament is the ultimate goal. It comes with the territory at this level so the team faces this as an eventuality on the way to accomplishing the goal for this season.

Winning the tournament is the first step and this team is set up to be the heavy favorite right now.

I said before the season this team had the chance to be special and potentially run the table. If a few things went different against Kansas this team would be, without question, the clear #1.

Good work Vols stay focused and keep climbing

having #1 by your name matters only after the season. Don;t care otherwise and personally would love for us to keep winning and never get there until the last game of the college basketball season.

Another way to put it is against a good team like duke who can drain 3s faster than a sink drains water and that lead goes quick. Keeping the intensity up on the Defensive end through the entire game is more important than a number.

I was going off the post game thread. Getting lazy on the Defensive end because you’re up isn’t a good thing.
I'm glad CRB took quick notice of that fact. They, as a team simply laid down. I've never witnessed that out of this team this year. I was kinda disgusted that they let that happen. I do wish they had more stiffer competition but that will come in due time. UK is getting better with every game, Ole Miss, MSU, Auburn,.......will be good tests.

I'm glad CRB took quick notice of that fact. They, as a team simply laid down. I've never witnessed that out of this team this year. I was kinda disgusted that they let that happen. I do wish they had more stiffer competition but that will come in due time. UK is getting better with every game, Ole Miss, MSU, Auburn,.......will be good tests.

Yep, Tennessee needs to prove they are the best and carry that intensity through the game. I truly want the best for this team. They’ve got tons of talent and can be a FF team. One let down and the dream ends.

Keep up the good work Vols!

Reactions: Vols All Day
If Virginia wins this Saturday over Duke, I’m certain they’ll leapfrog us and we’ll stay at 3.

This is true, but that would also mean Dukes loses 2 in a row, which could happen but I'm inclined to think it won't. Michigan may go undefeated until the tournament.

I had that opinion for a short while. But this team has a different mentality. I think that they'd thrive. I doubt that Barnes would let them become overconfident and complacent.

At least one other poster pointed out that all highly ranked teams will face opponents with the same motivation... doesn't matter if they're ranked 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.

#1 is great for recruiting and building credibility.

It builds history. So far TN has held the #1 spot for one week. Contrast that with the number of weeks that the blue bloods and others have held the top spot.

Look at how much mileage has come from the brief appearance in 2008. 11 years later and it's discussed every basketball season.

So I'm on board. A #1 ranking would be outstanding.

I had that opinion for a short while. But this team has a different mentality. I think that they'd thrive. I doubt that Barnes would let them become overconfident and complacent.

At least one other poster pointed out that all highly ranked teams will face opponents with the same motivation... doesn't matter if they're ranked 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.

#1 is great for recruiting and building credibility.

It builds history. So far TN has held the #1 spot for one week. Contrast that with the number of weeks that the blue bloods and others have held the top spot.

Look at how much mileage has come from the brief appearance in 2008. 11 years later and it's discussed every basketball season.

So I'm on board. A #1 ranking would be outstanding.

I think a lot of fans just want it to help the memory of Pearl fade completely away

VN Store

Back