Why not Peyton on the Jumbotron?

Absolutely NO one has done as much for the program and university both on and off the field than Peyton....no excuse for his not being on the board.

Reactions: 1 person
Absolutely NO one has done as much for the program and university both on and off the field than Peyton....no excuse for his not being on the board.

Got plenty of excuses. Lot of honorable, great players in our history.

Truthfully, there are so many great Volunteers from yesteryear for whom photographs would have to be captioned, especially for younger Tennessee fans, in order to identify them.

How many Tennessee fans would recognize a photograph of Johnny Majors from his senior year, when he was runnerup for the Heisman? Or Doug Atkins, who was elected to both the College Football and Pro Football Hall of Fames and was selected as the SEC Player of the Quarter Century from 1950-1975? Or Bob Suffridge, Tennessee’s only three-time All-American? Or Ron Widby, who was an All-American in both football, as punter, and basketball during the 1966-67 academic year? Or Tony Robinson, Tim McGee, Carl Pickens and Dale Carter for Tennessee fans under the age of 30?

What exactly did he do ON the field that makes him so head and shoulders above every one else? One SEC title, no national championships, no wins over Florida, no Heisman trophies. The perception is skewed.

NFL wise...yea......Peyton and Reggie

Doug Atkins! Johnny Majors! Larry Seivers! They were just as prolific in college.

John Henderson, Larry Seivers, and Eric Berry are the only
2x consensus All-Americans.

BTW....Fun question.
Name a better NFL duo on offence and defense in NFL history from the same school. Only one I could come up with was Woodson/Brady.

NFL wise...yea......Peyton and Reggie

Doug Atkins! Johnny Majors! Larry Seivers! They were just as prolific in college.

John Henderson, Larry Seivers, and Eric Berry are the only
2x consensus All-Americans.

BTW....Fun question.
Name a better NFL duo on offence and defense in NFL history from the same school. Only one I could come up with was Woodson/Brady.

White was far, far better than Woodson, Brady only marginally better than Manning.....edge goes to White/Manning imo.

White was far, far better than Woodson, Brady only marginally better than Manning.....edge goes to White/Manning imo.

. Those two and Butkis/Grange are the only ones comparable.
It is a fun thought though.

Many talking heads consider Witten one of the top TE in NFL history.

Without a doubt. Second to only Tony Gonzalez among tight ends in nfl history. Actually has the 4th most receptions all-time, wide receivers included. Somehow, Gil Brandt says he’s the 14th best TE all time. Lol.

. Those two and Butkis/Grange are the only ones comparable.
It is a fun thought though.

Butkus and Grange. Wow, good get. Wouldn’t have thought to go that far back. 2 of the all-time greatest for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wilson & Witten (and obviously Neyland), but why do you think they did not put Peyton on the Jumbotron? Do you think they asked him and he declined? Any other reason for not putting him up there? Your thoughts?

Maybe it is that Peyton wanted someone else to have that honor.

Without a doubt. Second to only Tony Gonzalez among tight ends in nfl history. Actually has the 4th most receptions all-time, wide receivers included. Somehow, Gil Brandt says he’s the 14th best TE all time. Lol.

He's probably top to bottom the best. He blocks successfully too, something most TEs don't do anymore... or really attempt it seems. Chumps.

I think the fact that they're both from TN makes a lot of sense as to why they were chosen.

I also wondered why Peyton wasn't put up there. Or Berry, who's the best player we've had since Peyton. I think the argument for not putting PM up there could be that he is so well known anyone who knows anything about football knows he attended UT. So why not put Witten up there, who is a HOF TE, but maybe not everyone knows he went to UT. And put Al Wilson up there to show that we have a rich history of excellent players outside of Peyton Manning and Eric Berry.

The photo's are sponsored by Dish Network while Peyton is Directv spokesman.

Butkus and Grange. Wow, good get. Wouldn’t have thought to go that far back. 2 of the all-time greatest for sure.

That would be a fun off season forum on VN! along with best FB/BB professional combo.

Peyton is an overkill at times... everywhere you go you see Peyton street names locker rooms ect. Peyton is the best but not only player Tennessee had.

VN Store

Back