Why is the third leading tackler in Vol history hardly ever mentioned?

DEO99osXkAIl8TD.jpg

He put in serious work, was one of the best LBs ever, and is hardly ever mentioned on the boards.
Fields wins game of inches with the Colts
Here’s my VN ‘cool story bro.’
I was playing in an intramural b-ball game at UT against one of the black frats. I went up for a rebound and after struggling with another player the ball was thrown hard to the floor where it bounced up and hit Ernest Fields square in the face. So, there I was standing toe to toe with a not to happy beast of a man. Then one of my friends says, “oh hell, he just hit Darryl Hardy in the face with the basketball.” Everyone laughed and Ernest shook it off, like ‘no problem.’

Earnest Fields was one of those "thud" hitting LBs. When hit hit someone they immediately went down. Out guys now, could learn from him or his film IMO.

Weve had so many solid one in the 90s. Watched the "Bill Duff stuff on Eddie George" a few months ago about 20 times. Was trying to figure out how it happened bc OSU was running 27 down our throats on that particular drive. Looks and behold it was a little known LB named Reggie Sanders who blew up the big FB in the backfield causing George to logjam and get brought down by Duff. Commentators never mentioned his name, but focused on Duff's tackle. But, it was Sanders who shot the gap and blew thier big FB completely up. Incredible fearless play. Excellent coaching somewhere along the way.

Last edited:
Great player. The '91 team was the one with the great comeback at Notree Dame. Probably
a better team talent wise than their record. Should have destroyed Penn St in the Fiesta except for a locker room blowup at halftime.

I was at that Penn State Fiasco. Never heard of blow up at halftime? Anyone who can expound?

I was at that Penn State Fiasco. Never heard of blow up at halftime? Anyone who can expound?
Let's just say Johnny got erratic and said something he shouldn't have and there was a near mutiny with coaches walking out. CPF supposedly managed to hold everything together.

Reactions: VolNExile
Probably because he played in an era of some of the all-time greats to play for UT. Those teams from the early 80's to early 00's were absolutely loaded with talent across the board on both sides of the ball.

It's easy for a player to stand out on these recent UT teams because they aren't/ weren't very good. Not so back in the day because of all of the talent on the team.

Great player. The '91 team was the one with the great comeback at Notree Dame. Probably
a better team talent wise than their record. Should have destroyed Penn St in the Fiesta except for a locker room blowup at halftime.

Oh yeah? What happened?

Here’s my VN ‘cool story bro.’
I was playing in an intramural b-ball game at UT against one of the black frats. I went up for a rebound and after struggling with another player the ball was thrown hard to the floor where it bounced up and hit Ernest Fields square in the face. So, there I was standing toe to toe with a not to happy beast of a man. Then one of my friends says, “oh hell, he just hit Darryl Hardy in the face with the basketball.” Everyone laughed and Ernest shook it off, like ‘no problem.’

cool story bro...you are hereby notified that your "cool story bro" is submitted for the end of season "cool story bro" award...congratulations and good luck...;)

GO VOLS...BEAT TIGERS!

Reactions: BreatheUT
Let's just say Johnny got erratic and said something he shouldn't have and there was a near mutiny with coaches walking out. CPF supposedly managed to hold everything together.
It wasnt coaches who had a near mutiny but the majority of the players. If you remember Dale Carter fumbled the opening kickoff and Majors got on him pretty hard in the locker room at the half. Carl Pickens told Majors to get off his back and that started a meltdown when the entire team refused to take the field at the 2nd half. The assistant coaches persuaded the team to go back out where they were easily destroyed by Penn State in the 2nd half after completely dominating the Lions in the first half. This started the concern many in the administration had about the ability of Majors to run the program. Who would have thought less than 12 months later, he'd be fired.

This is a true and actual story told to me by several who were in the locker room that day.

It wasnt coaches who had a near mutiny but the majority of the players. If you remember Dale Carter fumbled the opening kickoff and Majors got on him pretty hard in the locker room at the half. Carl Pickens told Majors to get off his back and that started a meltdown when the entire team refused to take the field at the 2nd half. The assistant coaches persuaded the team to go back out where they were easily destroyed by Penn State in the 2nd half after completely dominating the Lions in the first half. This started the concern many in the administration had about the ability of Majors to run the program. Who would have thought less than 12 months later, he'd be fired.

This is a true and actual story told to me by several who were in the locker room that day.
Exactly what I've heard. I had originally had Dale Carter's name in my post but took it out. Majors supposedly went way over the line.

Tbs is the story I remember as well, players were pissed and didn't want to take the field for the second half.

Reactions: butchna

I had never heard this. Thanks

VN Store

Back