Why is HH holding the ball so long?

AdoptedVOL

HH got into trouble several times by not getting rid of the ball. Watching on TV, he seemed to be going through progression of receivers (moving his head/eyes).

Why aren’t receivers getting open? Good coverage? Bad routes? I couldn’t tell by TV and those lame guys doing the game on ESPN weren’t any help.

It is in part of a good pocket. It is in part of getting the mental clock to know to take off or throw it away vs into bad coverage. It is in part as some plays are on one side of the field only as the other side is only window dressing to stretch the defense 50 yards across.

HH got into trouble several times by not getting rid of the ball. Watching on TV, he seemed to be going through progression of receivers (moving his head/eyes).

Why aren’t receivers getting open? Good coverage? Bad routes? I couldn’t tell by TV and those lame guys doing the game on ESPN weren’t any help.
I think it was because SC made some defensive adjustments at halftime, moving the corners closer to the line of scrimmage, and bumping or holding up the receivers more, so took longer for them to run their routes.

It is in part of a good pocket. It is in part of getting the mental clock to know to take off or throw it away vs into bad coverage. It is in part as some plays are on one side of the field only as the other side is only window dressing to stretch the defense 50 yards across.

I think it was because SC made some defensive adjustments at halftime, moving the corners closer to the line of scrimmage, and bumping or holding up the receivers more, so took longer for them to run their routes.

Both of these but credit to HH for not fumbling or forcing the ball and getting an INT. It seems they've really worked on taking care of the ball
There is no doubt in my mind the CJH and staff will address the defensive adjustments that SC made and will have a counter for that if Ole Miss plans to try and game us that way.

A lot of times our receivers are lined up out past the numbers close to the sidelines to stretch the defense. It takes a lot of time for some of those routes to develop.

I wonder the same things. I think the guys are just not getting open. They don't seem to do well when they are covered close and roughly. I think this will change with more experience and getting stronger. Here again, , , TIME.
As to the TV announcers (I use the term loosely) it would have helped if they had "called the game" instead of talking about cookies and everything and every game that they wanted to advertise/praise. Along these lines; how bout when a man was down, the camera stays on him til he sits up/stand up, THEN goes to commercial break for god only knows how many idiotic, intelligence insulting commercials.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
,,,As to the TV announcers (I use the term loosely) it would have helped if they had "called the game" instead of talking about cookies and everything and every game that they wanted to advertise/praise...
If I took a drink for every time they used the term "Beamer Ball", I would have passed out with alcohol poisoning and missed the game.

Reactions: savannahfan
I think it is a combination of things as stated above. Hooker did throw the ball away on the screen and could have tossed it away and maybe avoided a sack other times but SC definitey ly took away some things the Vols did in first half. Hooker was living to fight another day. The final punishing drive on the ground with Whitehead knocking guys back finished the Gamecocks who showed spunk after halftime. Game, set, match - stay healthy for Ole Miss. People saying Whitehead is not a running back need to chill out - he does not know this as he slams for first downs and knocks linebackers on their butts. Don't tell him he cannot play running back - he and the coaching staff see that he most certainly can.

Why bring down the best qb that we've had in years.

Sack < interception

Heupels system thrives on decision making ability.

If it take a “bit” longer to make the right decision…….that’s ok……as long as your making the right one and not making bad ones.

Hooker:
70%
13-1

Right now he’s making good decisions……sometimes it “might” be taking longer……but it’s working.

It’s normal on any given play that the defense may get pressure before the QB can get through their progressions when first couple of options aren’t open.
What I would like to see more of is HH feeling that pressure and moving out of the pocket to buy some time and extend plays instead of just standing in the same spot. Receivers could then have a chance to get open or he could run or throw it away.
I would think that would be the next step in his development

I wouldn’t make many conclusions based off second half. We clearly quit trying to be innovative and mostly just ran the clock

Reactions: 24/7vol
Main reason I assume we were in safe mode. Coaches probably stressed to him to take care of the ball as turnovers were the only way Carolina would get back into it

It was interesting that one quick dump he had to spike the ball when he saw nothing was going to come open. But he did take a lot of sacks. Think he is trying to find that happy medium. Better than interceptions or fumbles though by a long shot.

VN Store

Back