Why is far East Tennessee forgotten?

I'm tired of being invited to groups on Facebook that are "East Tennessee" groups and find out they are strictly Knoxville groups. Or better yet political groups and people that think East Tennessee stops at Knoxville..

I love Knoxville but it is barely in East Tennessee but gets to encompass all of "East Tennessee"

Why do you think this is?

It's not the oldest city.
It's not the largest population cluster.
It's not the largest economic zone.

It's just something that annoys me from time to time working in government in the tri cities region. Or as the new flashy slogan of the week "Appalachian Highlands"

Stupid name I know, but it stems from people thinking East Tennessee ends in Knoxville. We have to rebrand ourselves to fit others agendas.
Never forget ... we are UPPER East Tennessee, in every way. 😁

It's not a huge deal really, but it does get annoying when you are dealing with state offices that don't know what is after Knoxville.

As far as colleges are concerned Knoxville does have UT and I understand that it puts it on the map, but what gives people the feeling they own all of east Tennessee with groups online.

I guess what set this off was this morning I posted something in a east Tennessee group and got the reply from the moderator that it was a Knoxville only group.. really dumb seeing as I lived there for 10 years and worked at utk.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Speaking of, aren't you around Macon? If so, can you get that construction done quicker please?😂
Never . . . in my life . . . have I seen an uglier construction zone. The 16/75 split has to be the worst located interstate interchange of all time. It's like 50 years ago, the DOT got drunk and sat down with a crayon and said "Hey I know. Let's put it right here between this river, this downtown and this big ass cemetery".

I'm tired of being invited to groups on Facebook that are "East Tennessee" groups and find out they are strictly Knoxville groups. Or better yet political groups and people that think East Tennessee stops at Knoxville..

I love Knoxville but it is barely in East Tennessee but gets to encompass all of "East Tennessee"

Why do you think this is?

It's not the oldest city.
It's not the largest population cluster.
It's not the largest economic zone.

It's just something that annoys me from time to time working in government in the tri cities region. Or as the new flashy slogan of the week "Appalachian Highlands"

Stupid name I know, but it stems from people thinking East Tennessee ends in Knoxville. We have to rebrand ourselves to fit others agendas.

My guess is because the VOLS are in Knoxville. The UT brand still carries a lot of weight even though football has been down for a while. You are within 45-60-minute drive from being in the Smokies, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg areas. All are considered some of the must-see attractions in E TN. That’s all I got.

Never . . . in my life . . . have I seen an uglier construction zone. The 16/75 split has to be the worst located interstate interchange of all time. It's like 50 years ago, the DOT got drunk and sat down with a crayon and said "Hey I know. Let's put it right here between this river, this downtown and this big ass cemetery".
I always heard that they picked that corridor because it was where a lot of black people were buried and back in that era it was less of a political fight to relocate black people's graves. May have been apocryphal but would not surprise me.

I grew up less than a mile from Bristol Motor Speedway. Most people in Northern Virginia know of Bristol because Little League Baseball in Virginia has some officers in Bristol, VA, and driving through on I-81. Also, outside BMS, Geico help put Bristol on the map.

Knoxville is barely East Tennessee? Wut?

Also, I believe Knoxville is the largest city in East Tennessee
By far, it’s the largest metro area. Also next to the largest tourist area. I live in Blount but consider myself part of the Knoxville area. My county borders North Carolina so I’m not sure how much more East you can get than that. I consider East tenn anything Crossville and over.

So what's Chatt considered? Southeast TN?

I grew up 45 min east of Knoxville. I've lived in Chattanooga and the Tri-Cities. I guess I always considered the Tri-Cities to be Northeast TN. But I've never thought of Knoxville to be barely in East TN.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
Coming from Nashville on I-40, I feel like you've entered East TN once you've descended from the plateau.

fotY6t9JDJYN5EwsqZ-XgupgbFJuerEl7r4k50CN7hTXUogrxDSPcQ9W9jNTUkWWIxXfgcJxJCkKtA2f8qFbkvnevbNaTzVDSHir

VN Store

Back