Why is Dale Jones Never Mentioned....

His wife's family are the Haslams of Boone NC

No need to move for $$$

he married more money in 5 minutes then he could earn in a lifetime

well, that’s a wrench in the ole monkey.
I wonder if the wife hated Louisville, since he only coached there one year and went back to Boone.
does she like Knoxville?

Do you have a link I need to update my brain. I'm not doubting you. I tried searching but I couldn't find anything.
Dale played at Bradley Central, then spent one year at TMI before coming to UT on scholarship. Being from Cleavage myself, we had a few beers together when we were in school. He dated my ex sister in law for awhile. Definitely not a walk on

"Why is Dale Jones never mentioned?" I have insight on this one fellas.......Who the he!! is Dale Jones outside of the fact that he once dated my ex-sister-in-law?

personally, for me if a candidate is a former Vol, they need to be head and shoulders above the rest of the candidates for them to be hired. nothing against former Vols, but it is always a feel good story when they are hired and it is bad feelings when they leave. Tee Martin is just another example of this. same as chuck smith, jay graham, johnny majors, phil fulmer (twice), randy sanders, and those are just the ones who jump out at me. either feelings get hurt by them or by the fans, or you hold on to them too long out of loyalty to the former Vol and it just gets ugly. i just think it is best to move outside of the family for hires, but thats me

personally, for me if a candidate is a former Vol, they need to be head and shoulders above the rest of the candidates for them to be hired. nothing against former Vols, but it is always a feel good story when they are hired and it is bad feelings when they leave. Tee Martin is just another example of this. same as chuck smith, jay graham, johnny majors, phil fulmer (twice), randy sanders, and those are just the ones who jump out at me. either feelings get hurt by them or by the fans, or you hold on to them too long out of loyalty to the former Vol and it just gets ugly. i just think it is best to move outside of the family for hires, but thats me

I'm not completely settled about this idea. But it's definitely a post that needed to be written. It brings up a great question, how many success stories as ex-players do we have as coaches. You've got Fulmer definitely, Johnny definitely even though it took a while. But after that, did all the bleeding orange rara really amount to anything?
And yes, 110%, it causes all sorts of emotional issues either dividing the fan base when they leave or hanging on to the coach too long because of their playing history. It must be a big deal because threads like this one get started for every single x player that's coaching anywhere in the nation, as if we need to bring them home.

...brings up a great question, how many success stories as ex-players do we have as coaches. You've got Fulmer definitely, Johnny definitely even though it took a while....
Gotta include John Barnhill in that group. Played for Neyland as a Vol, then took over for Neyland as our head coach for four years while the General served in World War Two. His 32-5-2 (.846) record (15-3-1 SEC) is actually the best in Vols history, even better than the General's .829.

He only coached for us those four years, went off to Arkansas when Neyland came home. But he's still up there among ex-player coaching success stories.

You’re obviously lacking in your Vol history. I would suggest studying the 1985 Sugar Vols, especially the game in Birmingham vs. Alabama in 1985
As I stated on this subject last week, “one interception in 1985 against Bama” does not make him a great “coach in waiting “ in 2021. How many times do we have to whiff on VFL’s as coaches to move on.

this is a reason I am so hesitant on wanting PM to come coach for us. As of now he is revered to the point of sainthood for our school. What happens if he shows up and fails. His persona is shattered.

One thing that cannot be doubted about Dale Jones; He absolutely loves the Tennessee Volunteers. Heard him speak at the Knoxville QB Club about 5 years ago and he cannot talk about his time with the Vols without tearing up. Will always be an all time favorite and one of the great ones in UT history

Reactions: Cudaman340

VN Store

Back