Why is Butch Jones (still) hated so much?

#1fulmerite

Only losers dislike winners
Seems that many threads turn into eith a Jones or Kiffin bashing thread. Don’t get me wrong; I hate CLK came in and ran half the team off and had virtually none of his recruiting class pan out and, Jones never could get over the hill. But, there seems to be more hatred towards Jones on VN threads than any of the other coaches and this includes Pruitt.

Is it because more was expected of him or that we didn’t really expect more from the other coaches? I mean, Pruitt could have completely devastated the program but yet he doesn’t seem the most disliked of our coaches. Jones was like forever and three coaches ago but, again, he’s beat down still and a lot.

Seems that many threads turn into eith a Jones or Kiffin bashing thread. Don’t get me wrong; I hate CLK came in and ran half the team off and had virtually none of his recruiting class pan out and, Jones never could get over the hill. But, there seems to be more hatred towards Jones on VN threads than any of the other coaches and this includes Pruitt.

Is it because more was expected of him or that we didn’t really expect more from the other coaches? I mean, Pruitt could have completely devastated the program but yet he doesn’t seem the most disliked of our coaches. Jones was like forever and three coaches ago but, again, he’s beat down still and a lot.
Probably because of all of his stupid sayings and then being photographed smoking cigars with a bunch of butt picking Bammers

I think it's because of all that he squandered. So much talent, not a thing to show for it, and it was completely mismanaged for the most part. He also botched several recruiting opportunities. I'm not mad him for going to Bama, at the time that was what every fired coach was doing.

My guess: Jones was the most smarmy and two-faced and the one most consistent in masking his corrupt ineptitude behind sanctimonious BS. He was also too arrogant to adjust when needed and would never accept responsibility when things went wrong. He also wasted some incredible talent.

IMO, two reasons:

1) Much of the continuing hate towards him is because of the pic with Bama players, cigar in mouth, after their 2018 and/or 2019 wins over us
2) Butch got the fanbase excited late in 2014 and 2015 and came into the 2016 season expected to win the SEC East. The incredible flop to end the 2016 season smashed people's hopes. Dooley and Pruitt, in contrast, never had the team playing well enough to do that. Having your hopes built up just for them to be smashed is probably worse than never getting them built up to begin with.

It is kind of ironic though that he seems to be the most hated given that he objectively was a better coach than Dooley and Pruitt and didn't get the program in NCAA trouble like Pruitt did.

Hate is a strong word. Many fun of? Sure. He was laying bricks without mortar in that Farm Bureau commercial. Vols really had 3 swings and 3 misses with Dooley, Jones and Pruitt. Ask the guys that played for him if you really want to know, but for me when he lit that stogey in Alabama's locker room, he crossed a line. This after he had cameras on him walking with a mic to the baseball field during spring practice because they were playing Sweet Home Alabama at Lindsey Nelson.

Butch Jones was all hat and no cattle.....

I think it's because of all that he squandered. So much talent, not a thing to show for it, and it was completely mismanaged for the most part. He also botched several recruiting opportunities. I'm not mad him for going to Bama, at the time that was what every fired coach was doing.
I ain't mad at him for going to Bama, but smoking a cigar, being photo'd doing it, and acting like he had something to do with that other than delivering oatmeal cream pies to the boss (after inadvertently sabotaging UT's football program with his ineptitude) is what made me lose all respect for him as a man and a leader.

1. People hated the hire to begin with, so hating on him now gives them validation.

2. He squandered a load of talent, made terrible in-game coaching decisions, he made terrible player personnel decisions, and had some really stupid slogans.

3. He took the massive payout and, instead of getting a real job, he took a low paying job and drained every penny he could from UT. . . at Alabama - then blew cigar smoke in all our faces after their win.

4. He's an easy person to pick on in general.

5. He lost to Vanderbilt and missed a huge bowl game because of it.

6. Barb's Chip Dip

7. A combination of all those things.

Any of those things would bring hate his way. Add them all together and you have someone who is pretty much universally disliked.

Last edited:

If you ever met the guy, you’d understand why. But he’s equally as hated as Pruitt imo. At least on the hill. Both of them are scumbags personality and character wise. Dooley could be an irritable prick sometimes with his OCD bullshít but he was easily the most likeable of our 3 post-Kiffin losers.

Was a good recruiter so the high expectations were higher. A lot of squandered talent, in game blunders, and his catch phrases and slogans got old quick. And lastly, a complete lack of self awareness while the program was self destructing.

Reactions: KHVol
3. He took the massive payout and, instead of getting a real job, he took a low paying job and drained every penny he could from UT. . . at Alabama - then blew cigar smoke in all our faces after their win.
I agree with everything that has been said but came to post this one. His contract said UT had to pay him ~$12 million, but he was required to make a reasonable effort to obtain comparable employment to offset the buyout. Instead, he brought Nick Saban coffee for next to no money. When the UT buyout payments were finished, he immediately found someone dumb enough to give him another head coaching job.

It always irked me that UT didn't cut off his payments for breach of contract.

1. People hated the hire to begin with, so hating on him now gives them validation.

2. He squandered a load of talent, made terrible in-game coaching decisions, he made terrible player personnel decisions, and had some really stupid slogans.

4. He's an easy person to pick on in general.

5. He lost to Vanderbilt and missed a huge bowl game because of it.

6. Barb's Chip Dip

7. A combination of all those things.

Any of those things would bring hate his way. Add them all together and your have someone who is pretty much universally disliked.

#3 on your list is by far my biggest reason for continued hate of that D-bag. His lack of decency to look for a real job reveals a lot about his character.

Started a random thread about it when few are even talking about it will surely make it stop. This won’t ramp it up at all.

While he was smoking cigars with the Bama players, he thought he was big stuff and really putting it back in the face of UT. What he apparently was too dull to understand was that, in the Bama players' eyes, the cigar-posing was a joke on him. He only showed himself to be a small man with thin skin.

Because he’s a backstabbing, lying, arrogant dumbass traitor who set our program back YEARS who got fired for being so incompetent and then celebrated BEATING HIS OWN PLAYERS THAT HE RECRUITED while being Satans little ballwasher. I’ll never forgive that freaking hack and I hope he gets fired from every job he ever has because he’s not fit to be a water boy in a college football program.

Everybody talks about the cigars and yes that is punk move, but the fact that he took a 30,000 dollar salary from bama so that he could milk every dime he could from UT because he knew he was a fraud and would(and did) get exposed as head coach shows what really shows what kind of person he is in my book.

VN Store

Back