Why I am optimistic and excited

Somebody help me understand something. Why is that virtually every other college football team seems to be able to find good consistent QB play and we can’t? I am not talking about this year. We haven’t had it since 2012. I just don’t understand it.
Even KY seemingly found a QB who can throw the ball.
The truest “dual threat“ is when your OFFENSE, not your QB, is able throw and run. 😉

Reactions: GulfCoasterVol
Dobbs wasn’t in the same universe as Bray as a passer. Dobbs made great plays with his feet. But as pure QB play goes, Bray was much better.
Well yeah I agree, Bray was a much better passer, but your question wasn't "best passer" it was about consistent QB play. In this age of college football I'd argue a QB's ability to make plays with his feet, whether designed or improvised, is as impactful as his ability to throw.

But yeah I agree, from a pure passer perspective, even though I think by the time Dobbs graduated he was a very good college passer, Bray slinging it around could be a thing of beauty.

We had a three (3) turnovers, a TD dropped (with a penalty), a failed 4th and inches inside the five (5) yard line, a second Special Team touchdown called back on a questionable block in the back, several TDs missed by overthrows, the ball inside the five (5) yard line we couldn't get in after Milton's long run and our starting center out for the game with our top two (2) running backs not playing in the second half.

Despite that we managed to score 34 points with almost 400 yards of total offense. Against what I would consider a pretty good defensive team.

While giving up 41 points I thought the our defense played pretty well. Especially against the run giving up less than 100 yards and allowing the longest run of only thirteen (13) yards. The Pitt quarterback is a Super Senior coming back to improve his draft stock to a second rounder. I think he will be one of the better quarterbacks we play this year, probably around 4th best. The others will certainly be NFL bound and high draft picks.

What I noticed in watching the game in Neyland and then later on TV today is that we have a very well coached team. The penalties are a little concerning but I think that gets worked out. Our Special Teams was excellent for sure and Ekeler is a heck of a coach. The creativity on offense is refreshing and is the best offensively coached team since Lane Kiffin. I think Heupel is even a better offensive mind than Kiffin and without the stupid and juvenile behavior.

Certainly there is a lot to "clean up" but this team actually fights and plays hard. There are issues at quarterback but I truly think if Mays, Evans, Small, Hyatt, Milton or Hooker play the full game we win. I like Milton and think he is a real weapon once he gains some touch, and I think Hooker played a good game but it took him a little while to get warmed up. Milton has two (2) more years to improve.

The point I am trying to make is that we have good offensive coaches with a wining scheme and defensive coaches that have dramatically improved our defense over what the defensive guru was doing in previous years.

What Heupel doesn't have right now is Drew Lock, but when he gets his quarterback either from high school, transfer portal or by development watch out, I think teams are going to have to score 40+ to beat us each game.

All of this takes time and patience, but I for one like what I am seeing even if was in a loss.

I wish I had your optimism. There are tons to clean up and play calling is one. CJH blew it on the fourth down call. Mind you there was a bad spot on 3rd down before the 4th down call but I'm not sold CJH is the guy or Milton or at least until he can hit the wide open receiver. Quite frankly I think we will be lucky to win 5. I hope I'm wrong but I think this staff is over their heads. Not many staff's can come into an SEC team and make an impact. CJH isn't one or that's just my honest opinion.

Mistakes against Pitt cost us because we still had a chance to win this game outright. We lost this game by penalties, overthrows, and poor play calling at inopportune times. I'm sick of the coaching changes and sick of the QB inconsistency.

You know how people get burned in a bad relationship and they start ascribing the tendencies of the next person as indicators they are like the person who burned them? I think that is what a lot of us are doing by labeling CJH as Dooleyesque or Butchish. Yes, there are mistakes which need attention. But overall, CJH's team plays harder and he gets more out of his guys than any recent ex UT coach. There are literally opportunities all over the field for big plays with O, D, and ST. I cannot remember the last time I could see that.

CJH may end up a complete bust. But, two games in, I see more future potential that I like than I do past that I dislike.
There are some things to criticize, but I agree... there is reason to be optimistic too

Ok Porkchop....sorry I hurt your little feelings. Tell your wife to give you a Gold Sticker for your short novel.....maybe print it and hang it on the fridge. You can have the last word so you don't have to keep on name calling. Nighty-Night now.

Uncalled for. Did that make you feel supreme? Enjoy tearing everyone down? He's entitled to his opinion and YOU should respect it but we have to see your self imposed mental superiority! You sir are a less than a mental giant and more like a lout. Look it up pal.

We had a three (3) turnovers, a TD dropped (with a penalty), a failed 4th and inches inside the five (5) yard line, a second Special Team touchdown called back on a questionable block in the back, several TDs missed by overthrows, the ball inside the five (5) yard line we couldn't get in after Milton's long run and our starting center out for the game with our top two (2) running backs not playing in the second half.

Despite that we managed to score 34 points with almost 400 yards of total offense. Against what I would consider a pretty good defensive team.

While giving up 41 points I thought the our defense played pretty well. Especially against the run giving up less than 100 yards and allowing the longest run of only thirteen (13) yards. The Pitt quarterback is a Super Senior coming back to improve his draft stock to a second rounder. I think he will be one of the better quarterbacks we play this year, probably around 4th best. The others will certainly be NFL bound and high draft picks.

What I noticed in watching the game in Neyland and then later on TV today is that we have a very well coached team. The penalties are a little concerning but I think that gets worked out. Our Special Teams was excellent for sure and Ekeler is a heck of a coach. The creativity on offense is refreshing and is the best offensively coached team since Lane Kiffin. I think Heupel is even a better offensive mind than Kiffin and without the stupid and juvenile behavior.

Certainly there is a lot to "clean up" but this team actually fights and plays hard. There are issues at quarterback but I truly think if Mays, Evans, Small, Hyatt, Milton or Hooker play the full game we win. I like Milton and think he is a real weapon once he gains some touch, and I think Hooker played a good game but it took him a little while to get warmed up. Milton has two (2) more years to improve.

The point I am trying to make is that we have good offensive coaches with a wining scheme and defensive coaches that have dramatically improved our defense over what the defensive guru was doing in previous years.

What Heupel doesn't have right now is Drew Lock, but when he gets his quarterback either from high school, transfer portal or by development watch out, I think teams are going to have to score 40+ to beat us each game.

All of this takes time and patience, but I for one like what I am seeing even if was in a loss.

I doubt he is a better offensive mind than Kif. As to his demeaner versus Kif's; you seem to be comparing Heupel now to Kif when he was a youngster while here. Have you watched him in his time at Ole Miss? Seems to me to be quiet calm to me.

Weinke certainly flamed out here……..and maybe he was all smoke and mirrors…..or simply hype.

However for several years many sites, publications, and ratings folks had him as one of the top 3 QB coaches.

Lost of people were really high on him….I mean lots of folk. That doesn’t mean he could come here and “make miracles”…….but he “should” have been able to come here and make “serviceable.”

Again…..I could be way off……but I believe even that was mostly on the HC……and his obsession with himself. He thought 1 person was the guy……and stuck with it until it ran him out the door.

I have read numerous times that Pruitt micro managed his coaches. If so, that could have held several back and be the cause of the rift with Brumbaugh.

Why else would SCAR and Auburn be clamoring over Will Friend after his awful coaching stint here.

Reactions: JoAllan
Agreed! As sloppy as we played we still had a shot. I'm most disappointed that Coach H didn't challenge that 3rd down spot. I simply can't get past that! 95% of "veteran coaches" would've challenged that spot without concern of "losing" his last timeout! We tie the game within 3 plays had he challenged that and we get the 1st. I have a pic that CLEARLY shows Hookers entire body past the first down maker. VERY disappointed in Coaching move.

The play was reviewed and CJH knew that because he talked to the sideline official.

Reactions: McDad
I wish I had your optimism. There are tons to clean up and play calling is one. CJH blew it on the fourth down call. Mind you there was a bad spot on 3rd down before the 4th down call but I'm not sold CJH is the guy or Milton or at least until he can hit the wide open receiver. Quite frankly I think we will be lucky to win 5. I hope I'm wrong but I think this staff is over their heads. Not many staff's can come into an SEC team and make an impact. CJH isn't one or that's just my honest opinion.

Mistakes against Pitt cost us because we still had a chance to win this game outright. We lost this game by penalties, overthrows, and poor play calling at inopportune times. I'm sick of the coaching changes and sick of the QB inconsistency.

Maybe if he didn't have a backup QB and backup Center he could have called a play under Center.

Still I felt he should have challenged the call and not handed the ball off to 3rd string RB and went with a QB keeper.

Definitely a lot of positives going forward. Those penaltys on the two tackles were BS.
Only bad play call was the call on 4th and inches.

Maybe if he didn't have a backup QB and backup Center he could have called a play under Center.

Still I felt he should have challenged the call and not handed the ball off to 3rd string RB and went with a QB keeper.

But he did and we have to live with it. We had this game but the coaching staff and QB play cost us. HB will never see the field unless it's a complete blow out.

Somebody help me understand something. Why is that virtually every other college football team seems to be able to find good consistent QB play and we can’t? I am not talking about this year. We haven’t had it since 2012. I just don’t understand it.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on that. Dobbs(2016?) was the last decent QB we have had. Why can't we get a good QB? Most other SEC schools do.

You know how people get burned in a bad relationship and they start ascribing the tendencies of the next person as indicators they are like the person who burned them? I think that is what a lot of us are doing by labeling CJH as Dooleyesque or Butchish. Yes, there are mistakes which need attention. But overall, CJH's team plays harder and he gets more out of his guys than any recent ex UT coach. There are literally opportunities all over the field for big plays with O, D, and ST. I cannot remember the last time I could see that.

CJH may end up a complete bust. But, two games in, I see more future potential that I like than I do past that I dislike.
I’m in on JH...think he’s a quality person from integrity standpoint, seems smart and normal (not a lot of weird personality quirks). I just want him to do well so he can be our guy for awhile, but he’s got to clean up some stuff quickly...personnel (QB whoever it is), execution and decisions. He needs wins in Y1 to build momentum and he missed a golden opportunity.

I’m in on JH...think he’s a quality person from integrity standpoint, seems smart and normal (not a lot of weird personality quirks). I just want him to do well so he can be our guy for awhile, but he’s got to clean up some stuff quickly...personnel (QB whoever it is), execution and decisions. He needs wins in Y1 to build momentum and he missed a golden opportunity.

Heupel is doing a great job turning the aircraft carrier around. geeze louise some fans are quick to criticize. That guy is building a top notch offense in front of everyone's eyes, the kind that scores 30+ every game in spite of not having all the parts yet and in spite of having nowhere close to a full season to get the blueprints implemented. Imagine this guys offense with 2-3 years under his belt?

We are scoring more points per game than I can remember TN ever scoring. It is exciting watching our Offense. Is it perfect? Hell NO! There is always room to improve. I don't think Milton is the answer. JMHO I do think this team has heart and plays as a TEAM for the first time in years. They fought through all the adversity and never gave up. This team plays 60 minutes of hard football every game so far. I can't remember the last team we had that did that. This staff is not perfect but you have to give them credit for the heart and teamwork we have shown. We lost a hard fought game. The difference was we made more mistakes than Pitt.

We are scoring more points per game than I can remember TN ever scoring. It is exciting watching our Offense. Is it perfect? Hell NO! There is always room to improve. I don't think Milton is the answer. JMHO I do think this team has heart and plays as a TEAM for the first time in years. They fought through all the adversity and never gave up. This team plays 60 minutes of hard football every game so far. I can't remember the last team we had that did that. This staff is not perfect but you have to give them credit for the heart and teamwork we have shown. We lost a hard fought game. The difference was we made more mistakes than Pitt.

What kind of dog is that in your pic? Looks part boxer, part mastiff part pitt....

You could take that praise you just gave Heupel and literally find that same thing written about Butch Dooley and Pruitt.

You could take that praise you just gave Heupel and literally find that same thing written about Butch Dooley and Pruitt.
If your reading comprehension was as sharp as your trolling, you would notice there was praise of what he gets out of our team, praise of the big plays in multiple units by the team, and choice to see future potential.

If your reading comprehension was as sharp as your trolling, you would notice there was praise of what he gets out of our team, praise of the big plays in multiple units by the team, and choice to see future potential.
Thats exactly what im talking about.
Pruitts first year "At least the team didnt quit like they did with butch"

All these things you praise him for will be the things people are dogging him for when he is fired.
Facts my man.
People latch onto whatever the new coach does thats opposite of the last coach as a sign that "he is getting it done and they are on the right track"
its all just more of the same.

All these things you praise him for will be the things people are dogging him for when he is fired.
Facts my man.
People latch onto whatever the new coach does thats opposite of the last coach as a sign that "he is getting it done and they are on the right track"
its all just more of the same.
You wanna go find the post where I lauded the "team didn't quit"?
You wanna find where I've posted "he is getting it done and they are on the right track"?

I am all for conversation. If you can manage to string some coherence together, I'd be happy to discuss.

I agree with OP, I found reason after the second game to be optimistic. I saw a team "under" Hooker that will continue to improve as the year goes on....Not so sure that happens if Milton is put back in...

You wanna go find the post where I lauded the "team didn't quit"?
You wanna find where I've posted "he is getting it done and they are on the right track"?

I am all for conversation. If you can manage to string some coherence together, I'd be happy to discuss.
I'm talking about the general things people are saying.
Not you in particular.
Terrible wording on my part.

Sorry, but just to double check--all that makes you optimistic???? That just looks pi$$ poor to me....and all the penalties on top of that just shows how far we have to go to be respectable.

And the block in the back was clear as day--nothing questionable about it. I called it in real time.

I'm talking about the general things people are saying.
Not you in particular.
Terrible wording on my part.
Fair enough.

If someone can generate hope of a new coach after all the crap we've swallowed, more power to them. Cynicism, and pessimism has been the right call with the last 3 head coaches and I don't fault anyone for taking a wait and see approach.
We look better as a team in the first two games than anytime since Butch with Dobbs/Derrick Barnett/Berry. And it may be too early to know for sure, but it seems we don't have Dobbs or Barnett caliber players on this squad.

I am trying to take each coach as a stand alone and give a fair, dispassionate assessment of what's I see independent of what I saw under other previous coaches.

VN Store

Back