Why has Omar Payne gotten no action after the game from Florida or the SEC ?

Florida coach, Tennessee coach , Tennessee athletic director. Florida athletic director and most of all the SEC office
are wimps and cowards for not addressing the injury to Fulkerson as an outright assault. They are all wimps.
Who cares his Payne CYA apology came to Fulkerson. There is no courage from any of these people !!!
Not playing...coaches decision. #Courage

That is an appropriate response in my opinion, and honestly I'm glad it was coach's decision. Now my only problem is why was this announced halfway through their VT game?

The cynic in me says they decided to publicly announce after seeing the way the VT game is going.

Is everything that happens part of a conspiracy in today's America?

Good decision by Florida's coach, but I don't think that decision has anywhere near the newsworthiness elsewhere in the bball world that it does on this board.

Is it really that big of a head scratcher to think of a reasonable punishment? Have there been no similar incidents in the history of sports that gives us an idea of what the typical recourse is like???

The rules committee decided that a flagrant 2 requires ejection. I don't think that the rules require any other punishment as they currently stand. So, until the rule changes, that is the typical recourse. Coach White required more, to his credit I think.

Reactions: feathersax
Ha. Just make a free throw and we win.

Instead he bricks two of them.

Kind of standard for this team I'm afraid.

It was the right call and credit whoever made the call.

(but I'm still rooting against them)

The Vols look better every time teams we have beaten (twice) win. I don't care if the Gators go undefeated until the next time the Vols play them. This year UT owns them in basketball --- as usual in recent years. Go Vols!

Well, I never said that or anything close to that. I never said he should not be punished. I never said it was okay. I only said the type and degree of punishment is not as clear cut as some here have made it with their rather naive view of the incident.

And you have reminded me I am correct on that.
What is naive about watching a grown man assault another grown man. I do believe now that a behind the scenes deal had been agreed to by coach White and the admin

Ha, I thought UF had the game won. VT got OT at the last moment, I guess. I was checking the final to see if Payne got any minutes.

Well, I never said that or anything close to that. I never said he should not be punished. I never said it was okay. I only said the type and degree of punishment is not as clear cut as some here have made it with their rather naive view of the incident.

@lawgator1 I'd like to introduce you to @lawgator1

But if the guy has apologized, admitted he was wrong in every respect, and the apology has been accepted, any "punishment" you theorize about is just retribution.

You two have a nice debate.

You have to let him have a chance to review the video and speak to Payne. No reason to react so quickly.

I'm fine with it. Hopefully doesn't cost us the game today but honestly I have no particularly high expectations for this team in the tournament so not going to be disappointed regardless
How long did it take to review the video? A week?

Oh give me a ******* break....

Of course there’s contact in sports. Sometimes it happens accidental and sometimes punks like Payne, want to show their a$$ by intentionally trying to hurt one of our key players on the big stage.

Don’t give me that “in the heat of the moment” BS because it’s simply not true.

We don’t speak for Fulky nor tell him how he should feel about the situation but there should be more punishment due to his selfish behavior.

He was only sorry because he got caught.
Exactly. Any attempt at justifying Payne’s assault is ridiculous.

Reactions: feathersax
The rules committee decided that a flagrant 2 requires ejection. I don't think that the rules require any other punishment as they currently stand. So, until the rule changes, that is the typical recourse. Coach White required more, to his credit I think.
The premise of my arguments is that the infraction was obviously beyond the scope of a flagrant two. If we don't agree on that point, then we won't agree on the whole.

I agree credit should go to White. I am skeptical of the entire handling of the situation from White to Slive.

Some of the opinions in this thread are a bit ridiculous.

The kid got frustrated in a physical game and took a cheap shot. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t intending to seriously injure fulk. It sounds like they spoke and settled things down. He’s missing a game and a half of basketball (at least) in their two biggest games of the year.

Hopefully he grows into a better teammate/ player/person because of it and fulky is makes a full recovery.

Outside the basketball court when someone has a bad day and elbows someone into the hospital because they are frustrated or angry they end up in jail and eventually on probation at minimum.

Flagrant 2 fighting requires suspension. This was the literal definition of a fight in the NCAA rulebook which says striking with the arm, fist or foot with intent. The officials should have called it that immediately.

I will say this. Maybe White did suspend him the day after the incident and they kept it quiet. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he handled it that way. At least he ended up doing the right thing if, in fact, Payne is gone for the rest of the tourney.

I will say this. Maybe White did suspend him the day after the incident and they kept it quiet. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he handled it that way. At least he ended up doing the right thing if, in fact, Payne is gone for the rest of the tourney.
"We're going to punish him, but not in a way to teach a lesson to anyone else."

Yeah, that doesn't work.

"We're going to punish him, but not in a way to teach a lesson to anyone else."

Yeah, that doesn't work.
He might have told the team he was suspended for the year and that would have sent a message. Didn’t necessarily have to tell the world. We won’t ever know if he did it yesterday or the day after it happened.

Still really bitter that Fulky has to miss the rest of the SEC tourney and March Madness. I think an event like this could push him to wanting to come back and not end on such a bitter note.

VN Store

Back