Why don't Tennessee just play smash mouth football their last three games?

It can be done. They can come bust them in the mouth and win their remaining games. That would give them a 5-5 record. They can be more physical than their remaining opponents and win out.

That is basically what Pruitt has been trying to do, run 75% of the time. You can't win many games like this. You must have a balanced attack to contend for sec championship. His offensive schemes is the big problem; of course with jg you cannot have a balanced attack.

Keep living the dream, friend.

Its called building a foundation of how your program will play going forward. One reason why the Pittsburgh Steelers are consistently good is they have a foundation in their program; tough, physical football. Even years when they are not contenders (not often) teams dont enjoy playing Pittsburgh. That is where this rebuild starts in my opinion. Tennessee has to define its self and the best and quickest fix based on the strength of the program (if there is one) is playing physicial football. I do know throwing it 30+ times a game with these QBs and WRs isnt the strength.

I agree expecially with jg. However, in today's football you have to have a passing game, the days of smash mouth football and winning are over. Yes you need to be able to run the ball, but you also have to be able to pass. A balanced attack.

You do realize we have only scored 14 points in the 2nd half last 5 games right while the other team has scored around 100 or so in that same time span. You also do realize we still play Texas A&M and Florida right? And what have you seen the last 5 games that makes you believe we wonโ€™t lose by double digits in those games also. This is the worse season in UT history. 129 years and this is the 1st year we lose by double digits in 5 consecutive games while only scoring 14 points.
The last 7 mins and 47 secs of the Auburn game.

It can be done. They can come bust them in the mouth and win their remaining games. That would give them a 5-5 record. They can be more physical than their remaining opponents and win out.
If you watched the OL in the AU game, you saw the Vols OL DOMINATE the AU defensive line. I've been waiting to see that all season (Puritt has too). When was the last time we rushed for over 200 yds. and lost? But, JG's pick 6, the busted coverage that led to AU's first TD, and Cimilagia's missed field goals doomed us. Those mistakes cost us at least 20 pts. and maybe as much as 27. When you don't have a dynamic passing game and you rely almost entirely on the running game, you can't make that many critical mistakes and win a game against a competent opponent.

VN Store

Back