Why don't Tennessee just play smash mouth football their last three games?

Not if the defense plays well enough he won't.

If the defense plays well, that'll mean:

(A) the offense was able to keep them off the field (our punter currently leads the SEC in attempts, no jk, check it out)
(B) we magically found a way to pressure the QB
(C) our corners have learned how to cover the quick passing game (particularly the slant)
(D) we eliminate busted coverages for TD's

Question 1:
When have we consistently achieved any of the above this season? Even against bad teams.

Question 2:
What reason would anyone have to believe we could do any of these things against Florida?

Last edited:
Not if the defense plays well enough he won't.

Can’t tell if you are serious 🤔 If JG throws for 600 yards and 7 touchdowns, we won’t need to rush the ball at all. If UF turns the ball over every time they snap it, we won’t even need to field our defense. Amirite?

Boy, now that's one heck of a consolation prize. Can't wait to experience how good that'll feel Sunday after that 47-17 blowout.

Keep living the dream, friend.

Its called building a foundation of how your program will play going forward. One reason why the Pittsburgh Steelers are consistently good is they have a foundation in their program; tough, physical football. Even years when they are not contenders (not often) teams dont enjoy playing Pittsburgh. That is where this rebuild starts in my opinion. Tennessee has to define its self and the best and quickest fix based on the strength of the program (if there is one) is playing physicial football. I do know throwing it 30+ times a game with these QBs and WRs isnt the strength.

Run the damn ball!
UT ran for over 200 yds vs Auburn and lost in a game that wasn't as close as the score. There was a time when a great run game could compensate for a mediocre or bad QB... that time has passed.

Its called building a foundation of how your program will play going forward. One reason why the Pittsburgh Steelers are consistently good is they have a foundation in their program; tough, physical football. Even years when they are not contenders (not often) teams dont enjoy playing Pittsburgh. That is where this rebuild starts in my opinion. Tennessee has to define its self and the best and quickest fix based on the strength of the program (if there is one) is playing physicial football. I do know throwing it 30+ times a game with these QBs and WRs isnt the strength.
It isn't "these" QB's... nor is it the WR's. It is one particular QB that has more than adequately "proven" himself over 4 seasons.

There is MORE than enough WR talent on this team to be a very good passing O.

It can be done. They can come bust them in the mouth and win their remaining games. That would give them a 5-5 record. They can be more physical than their remaining opponents and win out.
Barring a change at QB and the replacement coming along very quickly... being physical won't win the remaining 3 games.

Our offensive line is playing better and could play some smash mouth. Pretty much did it to Auburn, but our defensive line is soft and has no talent so the favor gets returned. Then it comes down to somehing like QB play and well you know the rest.

Reactions: Noggin
Our offensive line is playing better and could play some smash mouth. Pretty much did it to Auburn, but our defensive line is soft and has no talent so the favor gets returned. Then it comes down to somehing like QB play and well you know the rest.
Yeah if the line would be more physical on both sides of the ball they could win more games.

Reactions: 508mikey
It isn't "these" QB's... nor is it the WR's. It is one particular QB that has more than adequately "proven" himself over 4 seasons.

There is MORE than enough WR talent on this team to be a very good passing O.

The freshmen are the most talented WRs but somehow they can’t seem to get on the field.

Barring a change at QB and the replacement coming along very quickly... being physical won't win the remaining 3 games.

Sometimes I wonder what people have been watching all season. Winning last 3 games? Are you kidding me?

Sometimes I wonder what people have been watching all season. Winning last 3 games? Are you kidding me?
If the team played well enough they could win all 3 games plus the bowl game. The team hasn't been playing that well recently though.

It can be done. They can come bust them in the mouth and win their remaining games. That would give them a 5-5 record. They can be more physical than their remaining opponents and win out.
U can play smashmouth but at some point u gotta throw or u are going to have 11 defenders at the los with only 9 blockers.

The freshmen are the most talented WRs but somehow they can’t seem to get on the field.
UT has both young and seasoned talent. They don't have a guy who knows how to make plays with his arm.

I have been an HB skeptic but I liked the way he tried to distribute the ball last Saturday. He's inexperienced but it seemed he had a "feel" for the coverage. That's an instinctive trait that JG has never shown. I still didn't see an elite arm but I am much more optimistic about him than I was.

Was this post started by one of JG's family ? Keep JG on the bench and play Bailey the rest of the year and turn it loose. Tennessee has no reason to play "safe"

Oh I see where your coming from. But slamming our 185# scatbacks up between the tackles hadn't done much either. But, whatever brings peace of mind I guess.

VN Store

Back