Why dont fans support this program no matter how bad the times get?

I tell you what hasn't worked in awhile, ever since the advent of the internet our NegaVol attitude of always attacking coaches and players is not working! Social media has fractured our fanbase and all the NegaVols negativity has accomplished absolutely squat. Go back and watch some of Saban's early press conferences at Bama when he basically told the negative faction of their fanbase to go to he!!, that the team simply didn't need them around to be successful. I think it's long past time for our AD, head coach, administration and VFL fans to tell the NegaVols to move on, their way of moaning, groaning and acting like 5th grade children is doing absolutely nothing to help the program. It worked at Bama, it worked in the movie Hoosiers during the team introductions to the school and I think it's time we try it. Go find a new hobby NegaVols.

What's 100% proven not to be working is constantly making excuses for coaches that have shown time and time again they have no clue what they are doing.

Yeah, let's give Pruitt 10 more years and then maybe just maybe we can compete with Vandy and Kentucky again
What do you mean we? You haven't posted anything positive once on here, you're one of the main players for the NegaVol squad. Hard to believe you're a fan when you have nothing but negativity to give. Must be miserable being that miserable all of the time.

The fair weather was over when Matt Mauck entered the 2001 SECCG. If you’re still a Vol football fan, it damn sure isn’t because of there being any semblance of fair weather. In fact, the closest we’ve had to sunshine is backing into the 07’ SECCG and being in the conversation in 2016. That’s it. The rest has been a deluge of failure and sadness that only a true fan or masochist could endure.

How original... Another person dictating what exemplifies 'true fan' status. Give. Me. A. Break.

Reactions: whodeycin85
Here's the real answer. General Neyland had an undefeated streak of 33 games and 3 undefeated seasons in a row. Then, a decade later, the team was not scored on for an entire regular season. It's incredible. And although he was coaching nearly 100 years ago, fans believe that "because we're Tennessee" this is what we're like.

You'll see a lot of posts here about how Tennessee "shouldn't" lose to somebody like Kentucky, and the reason is "because they're Kentucky and we're Tennessee". It's an entitlement. Entitlement doesn't really work in a fair competition.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
You can support your team and be critical of the program at the same time. If you care about something speak the truth. The truth is we are not good and haven’t had a true contender since 2001. I have supported the Vols through good, Mediocre, bad, and really bad (2008-2020). The UTAD should be kissing our Azz for having to witness football incompetence going on a decade plus. There is nothing “fair weather” in complaining about a twelve year rebuild.
Depends on if you were one of the ones doing the same complaining every day 12 years ago that got us into this situation. The NegaVols all claimed that all we had to do was get rid of Fulmer and move on that it would be easy to get a great coach here. How well did that work then, about the same way all the moaning and groaning is doing now I'd say.

Lol Fairweather?!? It’s been coming a tornado of flaming turds for the past decade. We don’t have any fairweather fans left

Reactions: hog88
Depends on if you were one of the ones doing the same complaining every day 12 years ago that got us into this situation. The NegaVols all claimed that all we had to do was get rid of Fulmer and move on that it would be easy to get a great coach here. How well did that work then, about the same way all the moaning and groaning is doing now I'd say.
So complaining 12 years ago is responsible for the subsequent gross mismanagement of hires and contracts?

Reactions: whodeycin85
Why do so many fans have to be fair weather fans and only support a program when they are winning? I think if you are a VFL you will support this team and program no matter how many games they win.

There is exist an illusion that UT will always be the Team of the 90s, I have said this before, when UT won the NC, the expectations began to grow to an unrealistic level, and to make matters worse we did have some numbskulls running UTAD that made some pretty bad decisions. However, You know what? the Sun will rise and the Hill will still be there regardless of how good or bad the football team is.........that is a promise I can keep, unless God steps in and all bets are off :)

Why do so many fans have to be fair weather fans and only support a program when they are winning? I think if you are a VFL you will support this team and program no matter how many games they win.

Anyone who has remained after the past decade and a half is not a fair weather fan. You want to see fair weather fans. Look at UGA and UF's bowl attendance when they aren't in the playoff.

Why are we frustrated: It's not because of the W/L record as much as we continue to make the same mistakes over and over. We have crappy OL play for 2 years - let's bring back the OL coach because he was in my wedding party. We have had QB bad play - let's keep rolling the same guy out there. We can't make halftime adjustments the first two year - let's keep doing the same thing in the third year. We can't win hiring bargain bin coaches - let's hire another one. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result and that is driving the fanbase crazy.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
we are all here because we love the Vols... but we also want more than what we are getting/seeing
Every program in the country except 4 or 5 a year can say the same thing. Crying, moaning and groaning like 5th graders about it is what separates the Vol fanbase from the rest.

Reactions: GrizzlyVol
I tell you what hasn't worked in awhile, ever since the advent of the internet our NegaVol attitude of always attacking coaches and players is not working! Social media has fractured our fanbase and all the NegaVols negativity has accomplished absolutely squat. Go back and watch some of Saban's early press conferences at Bama when he basically told the negative faction of their fanbase to go to he!!, that the team simply didn't need them around to be successful. I think it's long past time for our AD, head coach, administration and VFL fans to tell the NegaVols to move on, their way of moaning, groaning and acting like 5th grade children is doing absolutely nothing to help the program. It worked at Bama, it worked in the movie Hoosiers during the team introductions to the school and I think it's time we try it. Go find a new hobby NegaVols.

Poor decisions by the UTAD have fractured the fanbase.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
I agree with Pulaski.

There are days where I'd guesstimate the troll-to-real-Vol-fan ratio as high as 1:1 (50%). It's probably not really that high, just feels that way frequently. But whatever the actual ratio is, we know for a fact we have a lot of them.

Having said that, there are actual Vols fair-weather fans. I don't know why. It makes no sense to me. The only thing I can figure is that they dont really care about the program so much as they care about themselves and their fan pride (ability to talk smack around the water cooler at work, or even just the dopamine hits that come with winning). Since their loyalty is to themselves rather than the team, they'll turn as soon as the rewards stop flowing.

Sad reality that there are more than one or two of these in Volunteer country.

p.s. Not talking about nega-Vols. They remain faithful to the team even as they gripe and moan. By fair weather, I actually mean those who go off and start cheering for some other team, and won't come back until Tennessee is playing well again. IDK if that's how you meant it, OP, but that's the version I was talking about.

p.p.s. Here's what I mean, separating those groups:

View attachment 327346
So how many of the Vol fans have jumped jump ship and rooted for a different team over the Vols?
Give us a list of the VN members who have done this. Claiming one is going to stop rooting for the Vols does not count because it is unlikely they are going to do so.

There is exist an illusion that UT will always be the Team of the 90s, I have said this before, when UT won the NC, the expectations began to grow to an unrealistic level, and to make matters worse we did have some numbskulls running UTAD that made some pretty bad decisions. However, You know what? the Sun will rise and the Hill will still be there regardless of how good or bad the football team is.........that is a promise I can keep, unless God steps in and all bets are off :)
Shouldn't you be out there screaming about Pruitt retaining his job?

Here's the real answer. General Neyland had an undefeated streak of 33 games and 3 undefeated seasons in a row. Then, a decade later, the team was not scored on for an entire regular season. It's incredible. And although he was coaching nearly 100 years ago, fans believe that "because we're Tennessee" this is what we're like.

You'll see a lot of posts here about how Tennessee "shouldn't" lose to somebody like Kentucky, and the reason is "because they're Kentucky and we're Tennessee". It's an entitlement. Entitlement doesn't really work in a fair competition.

It's the attitude great programs have. Ask any Bama fan why they shouldn't lose to Auburn, any OK fans why they shouldn't lose to Ok State.

if you're fine with being bad to mediocre, that's your choice.

Reactions: tastycar
Tennessee fans are extremely loyal. The problem is that we are the fans of one of the most successful college football fans in history and there is simply no good excuse for the crap that we have seen over the last decade plus. We have the stadium, tradition, money to compete year in and out for championships. We know we won't win every game and are ok with this reality, but when we see garbage on the field over and over we know it is essentially a bunch of self centered creeps that make way too much money making decisions behind the scenes by either incompetence or selfishness it pisses us off. As David Keith said "Tennessee football is the most important unimportant thing there is". There is no excuse to be this bad for this long.

getting rid of Fulmer is not what got us in this situation. It was waiting too long to get rid of Fulmer and subsequent hires is what got us into this situation. Heck you could say much of this is Fulmers fault since Hamilton probably wouldn't have gotten the job if it weren't for Fulmer's recommendation.

How about all you sheep stop posting about negavols. It makes you look and sound like one of those Bama folk. It's idiotic and you sound as pathetic as Pruitt everytime he says JG gives us the best chance to win!

Some of us are tired of the participation trophies and the BS and excuses.

The ones who make posts like these that accept being fed poop on a stick by a blind man is the problem.

So complaining 12 years ago is responsible for the subsequent gross mismanagement of hires and contracts?
It certainly started the process. The NegaVols ran off every single prominent VFL other than Peyton and Condredge from the athletic department and the hiring of dipsticks without ties to the University ripped our football program apart, so yes, the complaining the NegaVols did 12 years ago played a role.

Reactions: 1967vol

VN Store

Back