Why Do We Still Not Know A QB? Concerning.

People need to stop with the smokescreen theories. Occam's Razor is in play here. The simplest reason for why a QB has not been named is because there isn't a QB worth definitively naming QB1.
Nah, Milton is getting the snaps with the 1s, he's QB1 and has been probably since about the time Maurer disappeared from practice. That has become more clear with each practice.

The refusal to answer by Heupel is something else but the staff said all along they'd have a QB1, start getting them reps, yada yada...... and they did but they chose not to make it "press conference official." It's a curious way of handling things, that's all.

i am of the OPINION that the staff knows who is leading the pack but have not decided who is number 2 and number three on the depth chart and will want to lay it all out at the same time. Could be situational I think. If needed inside either 10 I suspect Hooker's versatility. Two minute drill with long field, maybe Bailey.

Politically I suspect Bailey to keep him one play away since he has four years to go. The season should verify the actual decisions. Need to keep them all interested for a while. Live snaps will sort this out. I do fear the need for depth if Milton is the first one in. Lots of big hits even for a big man.

Maurer leaving put UT in a bit of a spot. If Bailey decides to hit the portal, we're down to 2 QBs and that's not a good place.

I'm old. The portal sucks. I get it that players have been screwed over for generations by being stuck at a team when they got recruited over but the portal still sucks. JMO.
Mauer leaving put us in a spot? 😂 He sure did. The spot where three quarterbacks get more reps. That’s the spot he put us in. He wasn’t going to see the field obviously. Heck he couldn’t take the job from JG. I wish the kid nothing but the best but he wasn’t getting this job anytime soon….if ever.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Using a decoy QB against Pitt so Florida doesn’t have film is a sure fire way to lose to Pitt, and also Florida because QB1 isn’t getting all the game reps. The starting QB needs to be building chemistry and experience as early as possible which is the BG game.
Its not a decoy, its a live action test. They not hiding anything from Fla they are trying to figure themselves out. By the Fla game they will know exactly who should be the guy. You get 2 cupcakes and 1 decent test. If chemistry is the end all be all they would have named a QB in the summer. Why would you name a QB before you see them live if none of them have seperated themselves?? If playing more then 1 QB against Pitt makes you lose, you were probably going to lose reguardless.

For starters, I am usually optimistic and still am.

CJH said this morning that “they will announce a starter when they feel like they’ve (QB) earned it.

Why does UT never announce a QB until 10 mins before kickoff? It seems like we are the only team in CFB who never has a clear cut starter.
It never turns out good when we play this game. What is the secret? Are all 3 not that great and you’re just picking at this point? Concerning that at least 1 of the bunch hasn’t stood out.

I hope I am wrong, but it is never good when you don't know who is leading your team, 10 days before kickoff.

All three QB’s are currently playing musical chairs…….
The QB that gets the last seat when the band stops playing will be named the starter:)

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
“If” Heupel didn’t know by now who the QB was……that would be concerning.

However don’t you think he does? Yea of course he does.

Remember……you know who is no longer here, and you know who transferred. So you know who can’t keep trotting you know who back on the field every freakin series.

I was watching an interview on the late news with Phil Phulmer about a charity golf tournament. The newscaster asked what he thought of the team and all he said was I'm glad they found a quarterback. Seemed to be referring to Milton. This was over the weekend.

I was watching an interview on the late news with Phil Phulmer about a charity golf tournament. The newscaster asked what he thought of the team and all he said was I'm glad they found a quarterback. Seemed to be referring to Milton. This was over the weekend.
Now THAT'S concerning. The less Fulmer is around the building, the better.

Why would they announce it? It’s to their advantage not to give the opponent anything, especially being a new staff to this program.

It’s not concerning at all. Keep the competition going and let the opponent have to prepare for multiple, different QBs.
Why show your hand at all? Of course, this strategy would be even better if our first game was vs Pitt.

Why show your hand at all? Of course, this strategy would be even better if our first game was vs Pitt.
Sigh. It's not like one of these guys is the second coming of Trevor Lawrence and the other two are JG clones.

What "hand" would Heupel be showing exactly?

After losing to a Georgia State team that went 2-10 the year before, I don't think we need to throw this line out there...
How long are people gonna talk about this? 5 years from now are people gonna bring up this dumb crap? It was a once in 50 years fluke, get over it.

I heard they just named the starter! Guaranteed TD pass on the first play of the season.1629860933128.jpeg
No wait, maybe that was last years team.

What I'm getting from this delay is there's a real chance Bailey will either redshirt or transfer as Heupel continues to divide reps. He's basically "giving him enough rope" to either leave or pull himself up.

This appears to be the "Heupel way" with personnel issues.

With the "Stokely 4" Heupel suspended and waited on the school, then the players, essentially giving them rope to make their decisions about their future. 2 transferred quickly. 2 stayed. One pulled himself back into the team, one slipped off the rope.

With Beasley, Heupel waited on the school/authorities, and gave him some rope. He pulled himself back into the team.

With Maurer, Heupel made his choices and gave him some rope. He ignored the rope and jumped.

I'm guessing Bailey is staring at the rope.......

Considering covid is still around, possible injuries, and that none of the three have played in Heupel's system in a live game; I think it would be smart to keep your options open. QB3 might be QB1 after their 1st game. I am glad that we have real options this year if QB1 doesn't work out.
Can you imagine what volnation would say about the team and coaching staff if QB1 was named a couple weeks go and that player got pulled at halftime????

For starters, I am usually optimistic and still am.

CJH said this morning that “they will announce a starter when they feel like they’ve (QB) earned it.

Why does UT never announce a QB until 10 mins before kickoff? It seems like we are the only team in CFB who never has a clear cut starter.
It never turns out good when we play this game. What is the secret? Are all 3 not that great and you’re just picking at this point? Concerning that at least 1 of the bunch hasn’t stood out.

I hope I am wrong, but it is never good when you don't know who is leading your team, 10 days before kickoff.
I bet you are not a very good poker player.

Oh, I know, but Maurer still put UT in a tough spot, even if he won't be eligible.

I saw some talk that Bailey could transfer, redshirt elsewhere and still practice with a new team, then be ready for next year. If he's not going to play here and wants to transfer, that might be an option.

Again, nobody wants to see that and I think the portal should have a definite cutoff to avoid that sort of thing.

Yep, he could also hit the portal and wait and see which P5 team has a QB get hurt, one that's leaving early etc.... then redshirt, transfer in January and practice with a new team in Spring.
It's that scenario vs staying and trying to beat out VN Superman/ Cam Newton 2.

VN Store

Back