Why do TN "fans"'leave games early?

This doesn't just happen at TN.

I personally like to stay till the clock hits zero but I completely understand wanting to get a jump on traffic or beat the crowd at the restaurants or whatever.

You have to consider where these people are coming from as well. Not everyone at the game lives in the Knoxville area and could be looking at a couple hour drive home.

Reactions: 1 person
Arrive early

The village
The food
The Vol Walk
The Salute to the Hill
The call in show
The band pregame
The T
The Kickoff
The Game
The band post game
The Tennessee Waltz
The Stroll to the car

OR

Arrive late
Rush the gate
See 3/4 of the game
Rush to car
Sit in traffic

I like the first soooo much better.

Reactions: 7 people
I have been knowm to leave early at games like TN Tech. Usually depends on how large the people are sitting around me and whether I have to work the next day.

If I don't work I go to the bar and drink and watch the game.

This is why we live in a free country. If YOU don't like something YOU don't have to do it. If you think people should stay then you stay, don't expect everyone else to think the same and do the same as you. If I buy a ticket I will do what I please and so will the other 100k that do. This being said, I always stay for the whole game, but could care less if others do, whether I understand it or not.

I was just wondering why also. I think the dog in kennel was a good reason but that is the minority. I was just curious if these people who leave are just not as die-hard fans as probably most of us. Do they turn off the TV if the VOLS are up and watch a movie also?

Regardless of how much I would like it to be, sometimes football is not the only commitment on a Saturday. I had to leave at halftime during the TN Tech game because I had somewhere I needed to be. I would rather watch a half of football in Neyland stadium than watch no football in Neyland Stadium.

I always make it a point to stay the entire game, but sometimes life just gets in the way.

Reactions: 2 people
I sat at the top by the jumbo tron and many left around me to beat the traffic. A lot of early twenties fans. They also seemed a lot more interested in throwing paper airplanes than anything else.

Reactions: 3 people
I sat at the top by the jumbo tron and many left around me to beat the traffic. A lot of early twenties fans. They also seemed a lot more interested in throwing paper airplanes than anything else.

nice planes too...very well constructed...:)

GO VOLS...RUN THE TABLE!

I don't know the answer to this question exactly, but I can say that on 1/4/99 they had to kick me out of the stadium. Heck, I would have spent the night if they'd have let me.

Wish I had an adult reason for leaving early yesterday, but in reality I left to go drink at a bar and watch it there. Caught a good buzz and UK caught a good as$ kicking.

I was outvoted by family to leave few minutes early in 1996 when UT played at Memphis. Traffic they said. Was walking about 1\2 a mile from Liberty Bowl when stadium went mad with crowd noise, followed by fireworks. Dude on sidewalk had a portable TV. Saw the replay of Memphis taking the lead with 34 seconds left. We were so stunned, we lost our advantage. Got atuck in traffic and got to see their goalposts parading around. Never left a game early since. It is not over til clock says 00:00.

Go Vols!

Some go preparing to leave. They'll leave early no matter what.

But, perspective has a lot to do w/ this situation. The narrative of the season matters, along w the game flow.

If we're expected to win big there is no drama up 3 scores so more leave.

If we're vying for a championship and coming back in game, few leave.

If we are close with a much better team, most stay to see the upset. Remember USC 13? Nobody left and all stayed and cheered a fter game.

Nobody left OU game last yr.

Over 1/2 left yesterday because we're up big and supposed to win. Low drama.

People love dramatic stimulation. Only some support the team regardless.

You were probably the only guy at Nayland then. VFL imo.:p

Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe! I still remember what it smelled like after that victory and the look on Lee Corso's face with all the fans taunting him in the endzone stands during his post game.

Nov. 4, 1978, Homecoming Game

Vols vs Duke

I was seated in section F in front of cheerleaders. Vols had just scored again on their way to a 34-0 win. Several planes had been launched from the upper deck throughout the game. One of the Duke return men was standing at the 2. I heard the crowd in the upper deck chanting Go Go Go, looked over my shoulder, and watched the paper plane swoop down, collide into the return mans shoulder, and crash at his right foot.

Don't blame the kids for still enjoying their dabbles in aviation. It's tradition.....

Reactions: 3 people
Maybe plant a few people to take exit polls. I would assume because people have things to do and traffic around Neyland is horrible.

VN Store

Back