Why do the gators have our number?

08Vol

When we’re good, they’re better. When they’re bad, we’re worse. Our 2015 team would have easily beaten their 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, and 2017 team. Just so happened their 2015 team was really good when Grier was their QB.

Playing early in the season gives them a huge advantage due to the heat and humidity. It’s not a coincidence so many of our games were lost on late UF big plays since their players were better adjusted to the weather conditions.

YankeeVol

This is the way
When we’re good, they’re better. When they’re bad, we’re worse. Our 2015 team would have easily beaten their 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, and 2017 team. Just so happened their 2015 team was really good when Grier was their QB.

Playing early in the season gives them a huge advantage due to the heat and humidity. It’s not a coincidence so many of our games were lost on late UF big plays since their players were better adjusted to the weather conditions.
I don't buy this at all. Tennessee (the entire SE and even NY) gets as hot and humid as FL. The timeframe for which it lasts is obviously different, but the fact remains that it's not THAT big of a difference to matter.

I call it the “Phil Fulmer Syndrome.” He was always so up tight when we played Florida and Spurrior was living rent free in his head. It made his players up tight and the game was usually lost by halftime. That dominance has obviously lingered long after Fulmer’s tenure. Success breeds confidence. They are certain they will win and we are hopeful. I don’t think Heupel will let that continue and will get some wins against them. Still comes down to Jimmy’s and Joe’s. Keep recruiting well and we’ll get there. Go Vols!!

Florida has had a much better overall athletic program than Tennessee has had.

Basketball is the one sport in which Tennessee has beaten Florida on a consistent basis.
True statement. They had a great AD there for several yrs. FL has won the SEC All Sports trophy for something like 20 yrs in a row. Vols sports are on the rise now so maybe the worm has turned.

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
It is possible to take your thinking too far, sometimes. For instance,

The gators went 2-6 in the SEC last season. Hah! That is deliciously pathetic, you know? It is glorious!

1652350797303.png

Okay, stop there. That's good. That's perfect. No need to take the thought any further. Just bask in that.

Some folks, whether trolls or sadists or just poor, misguided miserable creatures, would want to follow that with some qualifier, like mentioning who those two victories were over. No. No sir. That's taking your thinking too far. Don't do that.

Because the secret to life is knowing when to let things be.

Go Vols!

Last edited:

Behr

Screw Hootie and The gatersuck.
I don't buy this at all. Tennessee (the entire SE and even NY) gets as hot and humid as FL. The timeframe for which it lasts is obviously different, but the fact remains that it's not THAT big of a difference to matter.
I don't buy using it as an excuse for being 1-17 or whatever stupid number it is, but the time frame for which it lasts is a pretty big difference that plays on the mental as much as the physical.

I'm not arguing with you, I just wanted to get my 2 cents worth in on comparing the Florida heat to NY and Tennessee.

I'd rather play Florida at Neyland in November than play them at the Swamp in early September.

smokeyz1

Because we play them too early in the season.

Move that game back until November, and jaytors become much slower.
This

Combination of things. Florida usually plays much worse after they lose a couple games

High humidity local teams are normally in much better shape than teams to the north early in the season due to practicing all summer in it.

I grew up a Dolphins fan and they were notorious for starting the season 4-0 and then ending the season on a losing streak.

VN Store