Why do coaches not start the right QB?

Imo they think they need to go with seniority over talent or they will lose the team. How else do you justify UGA starting a walk on over a 5 star transfer and basically wasting the season??

Imo they think they need to go with seniority over talent or they will lose the team. How else do you justify UGA starting a walk on over a 5 star transfer and basically wasting the season??

Seniority means jack **** in a performance based business. You go with who will give you the best shot at winning.

Seniority means jack **** in a performance based business. You go with who will give you the best shot at winning.
I agree that's how it should be, but that's not always how it happens. See JG. Josh Dobbs, Kamara, etc

Because the 5 star transfer was still trying to get back from major knee surgery and wasn’t ready to play for the first half of the season.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
I know it’s easy to judge as a fan but thinking about the JG situation vs the others reminds me of.

Kirby missing on Justin Fields
Franks starting over Kyle Trask
Dobbs being on the bench his sophomore year in favor of Worley and Peterman
Jalen Hurts over Tua for the whole season

Just a few examples. Feels like coaches are afraid to go with a new guy and they just accept mediocrity. Maybe it’s just my memory but wouldn’t Steve spurrier bench your ass in a heartbeat in the ole gator days? JP invested so much into JG it’s almost gotten him fired at this point. HB looks pretty good though. Could save his job like Dobbs did Butch.

Yep. I agree with all your points except for tua. Jalen hurts was I believe undefeated as a starter. But the one we have with JG is the most pathetic decision I’ve ever seen. How Pruitt was unable to recognize how poor of a qb he was will ultimately costs him his career as a head coach.

Reactions: lifeVol
Reminds me years ago of when Urban took over UF. I recall him referring to the Zook recruited RBs as "piles of trash". Now those kids had been playing and Zook was known to be an ace recruiter, so those were one-star players in there. But Meyer wouldn't let them play and challenged them to be better before he'd let them on the field.

Pruitt ain't got that Meyer had, and that's the uncharming ability to call people out who need to be called out. Sorry, but Guarantano is awful and needs to go. If Pruitt don't sit down and man to man with him,........idk.

I agree that's how it should be, but that's not always how it happens. See JG. Josh Dobbs, Kamara, etc

It’s the way things should be and because we had a coach that didn’t have that philosophy he got fired. Always go with the personnel that produces.

Fair enough I guess im not that plugged in
I’m inundated with UGA info down here. Supposedly Daniels was cleared to play by week 2 or 3, but it took him another few weeks to have the confidence to go full speed.

This is gonna be such a Tennessee ending to a season. Bring in new qb (bray, dobbs) beat AnM and win the bowl game. Go into next season with a bunch of hype. Lose to barbecue technological institute of Louisiana get swept by rest of sec.
I know! We do just enough to give us hope for the next season and then those hopes are dashed pretty early in the season. It's a vicious cycle.

The biggest issue with Dobbs/Worley was Worley running an offense made for Dobbs. The "no read" option with Worley was one of the silliest things I ve seen in awhile.
If Worley is more ready than the guy that fits your system, you adjust your system to fit him. The reason it was a debated issue was because of that.

Yea Worley never kept it on the zone read lol.

Reactions: LittleVol
When the backups don't bark the cadences with enough authority or don't have the right look in their eyes, what is a coach to do but to continue to play the human pick 6 machine? Really, it's the fault of the players.

Reactions: 901 Orange
I think in many situations, “the better” QB just might not be ready. Maybe they are a true freshman and need a little more time to develop to get to that point.

Reactions: GAVol
I know it’s easy to judge as a fan but thinking about the JG situation vs the others reminds me of.

Just a few examples. Feels like coaches are afraid to go with a new guy and they just accept mediocrity. Maybe it’s just my memory but wouldn’t Steve spurrier bench your ass in a heartbeat in the ole gator days? JP invested so much into JG it’s almost gotten him fired at this point. HB looks pretty good though. Could save his job like Dobbs did Butch.
Hindsight is always 20-20. Fromm did give UGA a better chance at that time. Fields was decent when he came in but Fromm was playing pretty well. Kirby’s problem is he didn’t play Fields enough to keep him. Trask had overtaken Franks until he got hurt. Then it took a Frank’s injury to get Trask back in, ironically. Dobbs turned out really well but he could be erratic throwing at times. I don’t think the coaches realized how good he could be with his legs and making plays outside the pocket though so that one might be the best example here. Worley had become a decent QB if I recall correctly though. Peterman at that time was atrocious. At Bama, they were rolling under Hurts until that UGA game, at which point Saban did make the change and I’m not another coach in the country would’ve done it in that situation. Spurrier might have back in the day. Then you come to JG and that one truly is a head scratcher. All of the other examples involve starting QBs that were having some measure of success. JG was a train wreck from snap 1 with Butch. He had flashes of success (i.e. Auburn 2 years ago and Mizzou last year) but someone with his experience should have more than just 3 or 4 total good games.

Save job or prolong the inevitable? Dobbs bailed Lyle out and bought him a couple more years, but upon graduation, well, we know what happened.

I think in many situations, “the better” QB just might not be ready. Maybe they are a true freshman and need a little more time to develop to get to that point.
That’s exactly what it is. Fans think these guys are plug and play and 9 times out of 10 that’s just not the way it works.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Hindsight is always 20-20. Fromm did give UGA a better chance at that time. Fields was decent when he came in but Fromm was playing pretty well. Kirby’s problem is he didn’t play Fields enough to keep him. Trask had overtaken Franks until he got hurt. Then it took a Frank’s injury to get Trask back in, ironically. Dobbs turned out really well but he could be erratic throwing at times. I don’t think the coaches realized how good he could be with his legs and making plays outside the pocket though so that one might be the best example here. Worley had become a decent QB if I recall correctly though. Peterman at that time was atrocious. At Bama, they were rolling under Hurts until that UGA game, at which point Saban did make the change and I’m not another coach in the country would’ve done it in that situation. Spurrier might have back in the day. Then you come to JG and that one truly is a head scratcher. All of the other examples involve starting QBs that were having some measure of success. JG was a train wreck from snap 1 with Butch. He had flashes of success (i.e. Auburn 2 years ago and Mizzou last year) but someone with his experience should have more than just 3 or 4 total good games.
Worley bird was never good, never.

VN Store

Back