Why Didn't FSU Go To The SEC

LookinUp

Was it because Bobby wanted the easy schedule every year? I saw an interview with him and he said the SEC didn't want them. Comments.

Their AD is actually asking boosters for a one time 20% donation to fund a coaching search?? Whats up with that? Don't have SEC or B1G money?

Reactions: RollerVol
Gators said no way, but the real kicker would be they bring ZERO new media markets to present to advertisers and networks for broadcasting deals. UF and FSU are big in the same places. They really offer the SEC nothing financially. Mizzou offered Kansas City and St Louis markets. A&M bring all of East TX tv markets, esp Houston, and USCjr offered the Carolinas tv viewers, and Arkansas has Little Rock.

[QUOTE="LookinUp, post: 17639901, member: 21294"Their AD is actually asking boosters for a one time 20% donation to fund a coaching search?? Whats up with that? Don't have SEC or B1G money?[/QUOTE]
They have money but they are also having to pay Taggart almost 18 million in a buyout.

Here is what CBB had to say about it: "I felt that it was too difficult to win through the SEC to win a national championship," Bowden told Finebaum. "I felt like our best route would be to go through the ACC and that did prove out to be correct. I don’t know if we could have made it through the SEC."
Two national titles later, he was probably right.

After they helped blow up the SWC by grabbing Arkansas, the last slot was going to be either FSU, Miami or SC. FSU didn’t want to have their profile lowered by joining a bunch of other big fish. Miami is a private school and liked the fit better in the Big East.

Last edited:
they never did belong in the SEC and they sure don't now...:D

PS. we proved that already...;)

GO BIG ORANGE!

Gators said no way, but the real kicker would be they bring ZERO new media markets to present to advertisers and networks for broadcasting deals. UF and FSU are big in the same places. They really offer the SEC nothing financially. Mizzou offered Kansas City and St Louis markets. A&M bring all of East TX tv markets, esp Houston, and USCjr offered the Carolinas tv viewers, and Arkansas has Little Rock.
The team that really messed up was Texas. SEC approached them before A&M. The sticking point was they wanted tv network to remain independent. The Longhorn network is under the ESPN umbrella now anyway. It's not a coincidence that Texas has fallen off the map and A&M has surpassed them.

The team that really messed up was Texas. SEC approached them before A&M. The sticking point was they wanted tv network to remain independent. The Longhorn network is under the ESPN umbrella now anyway. It's not a coincidence that Texas has fallen off the map and A&M has surpassed them.
Texas is still #1 in athletic revenue.

In what way has A&M surpassed Texas? Spending way too much for a coach? Did you miss the LSU-A&M game?

Was it because Bobby wanted the easy schedule every year? I saw an interview with him and he said the SEC didn't want them. Comments.

Their AD is actually asking boosters for a one time 20% donation to fund a coaching search?? Whats up with that? Don't have SEC or B1G money?
I'm old and senile but remember Bowden sayin' on radio "if you can pick you're ducks, you do". Also said later on he didn't look forward to facing Fulmer and the Vols in title game. Said they were hungry or something like that.

Reactions: AM64 and timmessee
They made a short sighted move. They catered to Bobby wanting an easier path to a title vs. what would be best for the long term health of the program.

However, as someone else said, that was then.

Now, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, (and probably now Texas A&M) have an unwritten agreement amongst each other to keep their in-state rivals out of the league.

And if I am going to be blunt, I honestly don't think the other members of the league want FSU in the league either. There is a reason why Arkansas, South Carolina, Missouri, and Texas A&M are the schools that were allowed in and it goes beyond money. The only school in that group that I really see as a potential threat to win a title is Texas A&M. Adding a member who you are going to beat more often than not that is going to make you richer is a no brainer. Adding a school that lines your pocket but would also kick your *** would give everyone pause.

Florida State would be a different deal.

Bobby Bowden chose the path of “I’d rather be a live chicken than a dead hero.”

He recently admitted as much to Finebaum:

“I felt, Paul, that it was too difficult to win through the SEC to win a national championship,” Bowden stated. “I felt like our best route would be to go through the ACC and that did prove out to be correct. But, I don’t know if we could have made it through the SEC.”

I thought that Bowden’s quote was something along the line of him wanting to pick his own patsies.

Was Clemson also not offered before SC?

Can’t say I was ever too over joyed about either SC or Arkansas being admitted. I think they are better fits than Missouri though.

I do like the A&M addition though.

Florida State offers a lot more than either Mississippi school. If it’s mostly to do with ratings, Ole Miss and Miss State was a really dumb decision. Not only does Florida have probably 10x the amount of people, but FSU is one of the best programs in CFB history.

They offered FSU in 1991 and bowden and admin said no

They made a short sighted move. They catered to Bobby wanting an easier path to a title vs. what would be best for the long term health of the program.

However, as someone else said, that was then.

Now, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, (and probably now Texas A&M) have an unwritten agreement amongst each other to keep their in-state rivals out of the league.

And if I am going to be blunt, I honestly don't think the other members of the league want FSU in the league either. There is a reason why Arkansas, South Carolina, Missouri, and Texas A&M are the schools that were allowed in and it goes beyond money. The only school in that group that I really see as a potential threat to win a title is Texas A&M. Adding a member who you are going to beat more often than not that is going to make you richer is a no brainer. Adding a school that lines your pocket but would also kick your *** would give everyone pause.

Florida State would be a different deal.
There is no in state agreement. That’s message board myth

Florida State offers a lot more than either Mississippi school. If it’s mostly to do with ratings, Ole Miss and Miss State was a really dumb decision. Not only does Florida have probably 10x the amount of people, but FSU is one of the best programs in CFB history.
No it’s not.

I've always thought WV would be an excellent addition. People don't realize how widespread that fanbase is. They even creep into the outskirts of the DC, Baltimore and Pittsburgh markets.

It was also (incorrectly) thought to be a mutually beneficial marriage, FSU would raise the level of play in ACC football and that ACC basketball would elevate FSU's bball program

Reactions: sport3500

VN Store

Back