Why Corey Walker isn’t playing

Haha....yep.

But if Walker is two inches taller than Pons, I need to get my eyes checked. Maybe its a depth perception thing. Maybe Pons is standing 3-4 feet closer.

You think that maybe Pon's 4" of hair piled on top of his head, makes Him look taller?

Wow, looking at that roster...Robert Hubbs, Kwe Parker, Shembari Phillips. I wonder where they are now?

If Walker is 6'8", Pons is at least 6'9" ......Olivier is 6'10", Fulky 6'11" and Plavsic is 7'2"......J/S

303456_20200923_MB_TeamPhoto_AF_002.jpg

6'6" IMO. Same as EJA, and that's not big for an SEC post.

Reactions: keenobserver
We'll agree to disagree about a kids height that I'm clearly looking at and comparing to others in a picture. I suppose it's possible he's slouching.

Its important to remember Grant was measured at 6'5" at the NBA combine after being 6'7" his entire career here. Since the draft combine, he's slipped on his sneakers and is now 6'6" as his official height.

I agree that Pons is a beast. His athleticism and wingspan obviously make him one of the best front court players in the country. I don't think there's alot of players with his exact size/skill set period.....in the NBA or CBB...

Except Grant wasn't measured at 6'5" at the NBA combine...

No shoes: 6'5.75"
Shoes: 6'7.5"

6'6" IMO. Same as EJA, and that's not big for an SEC post.

A quick check of the starting lineups of some of our SEC brethren at the 4 and 5.
UF 6'5 and 6' 10
UK 6'7 and 7'
Vandy 6'8 and 6'9
Missou 6'7 and 6'10
Bama 6'7 and 6'9
UT 6'6 and 6'9

Lots of teams going with smaller quicker lineups across the SEC and across the country. Very few Stokes and Maymon combos out there anymore. Lots of teams want to be able to switch everything on Defense

Last edited:
Except Grant wasn't measured at 6'5" at the NBA combine...

No shoes: 6'5.75"
Shoes: 6'7.5"

So it appears many publications round down when they're measuring with no shoes, but round up with shoes.

Defenitely not an argument I wanted to get into. Grant Williams is my all time favorite vol.

I don't believe Corey Walker is two inches taller than Pons and or the same height as Nkamhoua. I'm getting old, but my eyes won't let me believe that yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: cardvolfan
A quick check of the starting lineups of some of our SEC brethren at the 4 and 5.
UF 6'5 and 6' 10
UK 6'7 and 7'
Vandy 6'8 and 6'9
Missou 6'7 and 6'10
Bama 6'7 and 6'9
UT 6'6 and 6'9

Lots of teams going with smaller quicker lineups across the SEC and across the country. Very few Stokes and Maymon combos out there anymore. Lots of teams want to be able to switch everything on Defense
Thanks for that comparison. Man that 7’3” guy from Arkansas is something. Seemed slow-footed and so skinny. Our 6’9” guy abused him.

UF 6'5 and 6' 10
UK 6'7 and 7'
Vandy 6'8 and 6'9
Missou 6'7 and 6'10
Bama 6'7 and 6'9
UT 6'6 and 6'9

Even Stokes and Maymon were both listed at 6-8. Probably generous for Maymon, to be honest.

UF 6'5 and 6' 10
UK 6'7 and 7'
Vandy 6'8 and 6'9
Missou 6'7 and 6'10
Bama 6'7 and 6'9
UT 6'6 and 6'9

I definitely agree. Pons is essentially a 6'9/10" player with his wingspan and athleticism. My point was I was skeptical of a current player on our roster that has the length to fill the void of both Pons and Fulkerson (assuming he leaves) next season, particularly defensively. I don't think it will be Walker because I believe he's going to bring a different type of skill set. Someone in practice needs to pick a fight with Nkamhoua so he'll get tougher because he could do it, and despite EJA's toughness and effort, SEC front court players easily rebound over him.

Last edited:
So it appears many publications round down when they're measuring with no shoes, but round up with shoes.

Defenitely not an argument I wanted to get into. Grant Williams is my all time favorite vol.

I don't believe Corey Walker is two inches taller than Pons and or the same height as Nkamhoua. I'm getting old, but my eyes won't let me believe that yet.

I recall one analyst said it best when Grant was being talked about in the NBA draft. I don't recall who said it, but basically the same old same old was happening "he's too short to play the post in the NBA" and some Skip Bayless type said he only measured 6'5" at the combine and the other guy corrected him and then drove it home with "they don't play barefoot"

He also then pointed out that Grant & PJ Washington measured nearly the same at the combine, but PJ wasn't getting called too small.

End of the day it doesn't matter if you're a good player. Some of the best rebounders in NBA history haven't been 6'8" (Rodman, Barkley). Walker's height isn't his issue, his work ethic is at this point in question. Not saying he's another DJ Burns or anything, but Barnes isn't going to give any PT to guys that show up out of shape and with the talent on this roster he doesn't have to really bend the rule like he did last season when Santi arrived.

Even Stokes and Maymon were both listed at 6-8. Probably generous for Maymon, to be honest.

Maymon didn't do the combine, but Stokes did and in shoes he measured 6'7.75" (I looked all this up when Grant was going in the draft). Maymon I think would be a tad shorter than both Grant/Stokes in shoes but probably still 6'7"

Similar debate happens with football 40 times.

4.49 = he's a 4.4 guy
4.41 = he's a 4.4 guy

The 2nd guy is closer to 4.3s and will likely look a good bit faster side by side. And that 4.49 guy may never break sub 4.5s again...but he only needs to do it once for it to make him a 4.4 guy (at the combine).

End of the day Barnes likes 6'4" to 6'8" guys that are athletic and can guard on the perimeter if in a switch situation. Walker is also one of the youngest guys on the team, so he's still got a few years of growth possible. He may graduate and be every bit of 6'8" or 6'9" or he may not grow anymore, won't know until he's 22 which is the case.

Looks to be maybe an inch or two taller than anosike. Neck length doesn't mean anything. Look at the goofy white boy next to him. While he is a good two inches taller, their shoulder height is almost identical.
He and pemper look like they are in one of those tribes that stretches your neck.
Tribes????

VN Store

Back