Why aren’t our WRs getting behind defenses?

bpalmer28

We’ve played 4 games. I think I’ve seen Palmer get behind the defense 2 times. With all the speed we have at WR, why aren’t we seeing them looking over their shoulder for a deep pass?

We’ve played 4 games. I think I’ve seen Palmer get behind the defense 2 times. With all the speed we have at WR, why aren’t we seeing them looking over their shoulder for a deep pass?
Seriously?

JG is throwing to them. They have no idea where to look

Reactions: sierraorange
I'll say this, I'd retain Chaney and Osovet and replace every other offensive coach.

Chaney averaged 35 points a game at UGA with a true Freshman qb. But he had Sam Pittman coaching and preaching physicality and he had well coached receivers

They don’t have wrs run routes to get behind defenses. Down the sidelines sure we might throw deep. But that’s it. Passes to the flat. Out routes to the sideline. And 5-7 yard hook routes. We mostly avoid the middle of the field beyond 5-7 yards.

Reactions: vedaant1810
They don’t have wrs run routes to get behind defenses. Down the sidelines sure we might throw deep. But that’s it. Passes to the flat. Out routes to the sideline. And 5-7 yard hook routes. We mostly avoid the middle of the field beyond 5-7 yards.
It’s odd isn’t it? It’s like the only way they think they can use Jones and Hyatt’s speed is on end arounds. I don’t think JG would drop it in like we’re seeing in this UGA Bama game, but he’s got a strong enough arm to lay one out there. We haven’t even seen the routes to get behind them, let alone the pass attempts

Reactions: Doberman
It’s odd isn’t it? It’s like the only way they think they can use Jones and Hyatt’s speed is on end arounds. I don’t think JG would drop it in like we’re seeing in this UGA Bama game, but he’s got a strong enough arm to lay one out there. We haven’t even seen the routes to get behind them, let alone the pass attempts
I doubt they trust our qbs to read a defense and make a pass across midfield. I think we mostly throw the safe routes. Flat passes are mostly safe. Out routes to the sideline are mostly safe until the defense starts jumping them. 5 yard hook routes are mostly safe as long as the qb throws something catchable.

Having to read a defense and judge where a linebacker or safety is going and then making an accurate pass across the middle takes more skill. It shouldn’t be that difficult for an average qb. But it is for us.

Reactions: OldandStillaVol
Honestly I don’t believe our WR room is very talented. We are sorely missing Callaway and Jennings. That combined with poor QB play is a recipe for disaster

I doubt they trust our qbs to read a defense and make a pass across midfield. I think we mostly throw the safe routes. Flat passes are mostly safe. Out routes to the sideline are mostly safe until the defense starts jumping them. 5 yard hook routes are mostly safe as long as the qb throws something catchable.

Having to read a defense and judge where a linebacker or safety is going and then making an accurate pass across the middle takes more skill. It shouldn’t be that difficult for an average qb. But it is for us.
It’s something every D1 QB should be able to do tho.

VN Store

Back