Whose ready for some new states?

It ain't that hard for DC and Puerto Rico. MAGA!

"New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress."

Big surprise you’re in favor of this 🙄

Can’t win national elections or majorities in both houses? NO PROBLEM - we’ll just add new Blue states.

Sickening

Reactions: AM64
Big surprise you’re in favor of this 🙄

Can’t win national elections or majorities in both houses? NO PROBLEM - we’ll just add new Blue states.

Sickening
As I've continually been told, states/land masses matter and should have a voice as well, regardless of the fact that states like wyoming have fewer people than my neighborhood.

As I've continually been told, states/land masses matter and should have a voice as well, regardless of the fact that states like wyoming have fewer people than my neighborhood.
DC isn’t either a state or land mass.

If either DC or Puerto Rico leaned conservative, how many Democrats would be arguing for statehood?

There’s ZERO benefit to make DC a state. It’s ridiculous. Not worthy of discussion.

What makes Puerto Rico more worthy than other US territories?

And what benefit is there to the country as a whole is there in designating any US territories a state?

It ain't that hard for DC and Puerto Rico. MAGA!

"New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress."

Don't forget Guam... oh, and Greenland.

PR put this to vote previously, and it passed.
Be careful with those numbers. The most recent referendum had about 20 percent turnout as a result of a boycott. I've seen other polls and referendums with something indicating plurality support for statehood, but I don't really see evidence of a majority, let alone a strong one.

Be careful with those numbers. The most recent referendum had about 20 percent turnout as a result of a boycott. I've seen other polls and referendums with something indicating plurality support for statehood, but I don't really see evidence of a majority, let alone a strong one.

Wiki...

"A referendum on the political status of Puerto Rico was held in Puerto Rico on June 11, 2017.[1] The referendum had three options: becoming a state of the United States, independence/free association, or maintaining the current territorial status.[2] Those who voted overwhelmingly chose statehood by 97%."

Wiki...

"A referendum on the political status of Puerto Rico was held in Puerto Rico on June 11, 2017.[1] The referendum had three options: becoming a state of the United States, independence/free association, or maintaining the current territorial status.[2] Those who voted overwhelmingly chose statehood by 97%."
Again, it had about 20 percent turnout in a territory where turnout is generally very high. People chose to boycott this vote. This definitely doesn't indicate a majority really support statehood.

Why are you OK with this lie?

We’ve never been a Democracy
Enough with this ****. We have always been a democracy.

What you mean to say is we have never been a direct democracy. We are a constitution republic and a representative democracy, and always have been.

You do realize that pure democracy is a nice way to say mob rule
It fails everywhere, just like totalitarian states eventually wither and die.

If anything, our initial founding fathers set up a 'nobility' of elected officials where each level of the country was represented. State governments were represented by the senate, the people by the house, and all by the president as essentially a final arbiter (and the electoral college prevents domination by populous areas- any of you nitwits that support popular vote tell me why the mass of people in New York, LA, etc., all with similar geographic needs and requirements, should be able to tell you, in rural TN, how to live). The courts represented the longer-term stability needed to keep a foundation of order.

In fact, the original intent of our government was for our elected officials to be independently successful folks with their own wealth, ostensibly so they wouldn't be controlled by interests. This is in letters from many of the founding fathers- they wanted already wealthy landowners and businesspeople and merchants and lawyers with good educations that would be able to think beyond their own short-term financial needs. Unfortunately we've shat that up by allowing any idiot without any investment in anything to vote and bail when they keep making bad decisions, or to get into office to increase their own wealth.

So in actuality, I agree with whoever said we were terrified of direct democracy. I am definitely terrified of direct democracy. It is a stupid idea and will not work, and we're only in the state we are now because we've 'democratized' so damn much already.

Again, it had about 20 percent turnout in a territory where turnout is generally very high. People chose to boycott this vote. This definitely doesn't indicate a majority really support statehood.

Puerto Rico to vote on statehood referendum at November general election

Why would teh Ricans want to be a state? Right now they get almost all of the benefits of statehood without paying the bill.

VN Store

Back