who's predicting a double digit win over UF

You're looking at it wrongly, the offenses obviously don't play each other. UF has talent on defense just as UT does on offense. They see Hurd and say "awesome player," but "here's LB Jarrad Davis, we ain't scared." They go 9-deep on the d-line with guys like Brian Cox Jr, Caleb Brantley, Joey Ivie, CC Jefferson, etc. Their secondary is crazy talented, probably the best CB duo in the country in Tabor and Wilson, and one of the best safeties in Marcus Maye. How Maye and Davis didnt go pro is beyond me.

UF's offense is a mystery, and nobody really knows. But to dismiss this notion that Del Rio would have started over Grier last year as "Gator fan talk" would be a mistake. There are articles all over the place about that from last year before the season, and many other articles about how Del Rio was killing it as the practice squad qb against UF's first team defense. I'll say this; it's hard for me to think UF's offense will get worse than last year, yet last year's offense looked great at times against UT's defense, which basically has the same players returning. Yes, they'll return better/bigger/stronger, all that, but so will UF's players. Florida returns about 6 o-linemen with multiple starts, one of the most exciting young WR's in the country in Callaway, added a SEC-type RB in Thompson, and added two QB's who fit McElwain's offense so much better than Treon Harris that it ain't even funny.

All I'm saying is, once again, many are dismissing UF as a "boatrace" game, making the the same mistake, yet again. And then there will be utter shock and dismay when they look up and this game is a nailbiter deep into the 4th quarter, and maybe even a loss. Don't do it, Florida is good, possibly very good. This doesn't mean Tennessee isn't good, or possibly great. It's okay for both teams to be outstanding.

The front 7 for both teams should have the advantage against both OLs, so it depends on which OL holds up best. But the big advantage forcUT is Dobbs's experience and ability to turn broken plays into big games, vsva QB with little to no experience. And I think UT has the advantage on STs, which should translate into field position advantage.

Reactions: 1 person
The entire UF o-line is back except journeyman Trip Thurman and they return two playmaking WR's; Callaway and Powell. People remember Callaway because of "the play" but UT could not stop Brandon Powell. Powell also torched Ole Miss the following week then got hurt and fell off. He's back healthy, UT had better have a plan for him.

Brandon Powell is a game changer. It's guys like him who have been the thorn in UT's side during the whole recent history of the rivalry(since the 90's)..

Brandon James, Jeff Demps type that is hard keep contained..

Maybe so, but maybe not so. How many times over the last 11 years have you been convinced before the game? I'll answer for you, most of them.

One of them. Last year. But even then, had concerns. I have no concerns this year. 0

Another note on the Del Rio versus Grier thing. Why do you think Grier transferred? For a fresh start? Please. Grier knew what his teammates and Coach McElwain knew, that Del Rio was waiting in the wings and chances were very good that with Del Rio getting a 6-game head start in 2016, Grier may never see the field again at UF.

Grier and his Dad wanted reassurances, some have reported "guarantees," that Grier would re-assume starter duties upon his return. If Mac were in any way doubtful about Del Rio's abilities, Grier would still be at UF.

So, the political card was used up by the Grier's, and they still ended up folding? That's interesting...thought he had potential to be special..

Can you tell us what is Del Rio's strengths, aside from being raised in the game(knowledge)?

So, the political card was used up by the Grier's, and they still ended up folding? That's interesting...thought he had potential to be special..

Can you tell us what is Del Rio's strengths, aside from being raised in the game(knowledge)?

His strength is that he's the only viable option at UF

It's funny reading all these comments on Del Rio and how bad he must be to go through 3 teams. It take 5 minutes on Google to realize what happened had nothing to do with him being a bad QB. Walked on at Bama b/c his family is loaded and he wanted to play for coach Nuss. When coach Nuss left Bama Del Rio did too. Was allowed to transfer to Oregon State and not have to sit out a year. Once there he earned the backup job to senior Mike Glennon, who would set the Pac 12 record for passing yards and go in the 2nd round of the draft. After that year Oregon State's head coach was hired by Nebraska and they brought in a spread coach. Del Rio is a pocket passer so he left. Why did he pick UF? Because coach Nuss signed onto McElwain's staff. Doubt this guy at your own peril

Reactions: 2 people

I agree, Grier is talented, I think he'll do good things at West Virginia. Think Craig McElroy when you think of Del Rio. Smart, efficient, leader. And don't forget who McElroy's Offensive Cordinator was at Bama, McElwain.

It's funny reading all these comments on Del Rio and how bad he must be to go through 3 teams. It take 5 minutes on Google to realize what happened had nothing to do with him being a bad QB. Walked on at Bama b/c his family is loaded and he wanted to play for coach Nuss. When coach Nuss left Bama Del Rio did too. Was allowed to transfer to Oregon State and not have to sit out a year. Once there he earned the backup job to senior Mike Glennon, who would set the Pac 12 record for passing yards and go in the 2nd round of the draft. After that year Oregon State's head coach was hired by Nebraska and they brought in a spread coach. Del Rio is a pocket passer so he left. Why did he pick UF? Because coach Nuss signed onto McElwain's staff. Doubt this guy at your own peril

Ok...he's a pocket passer...even better.

Yep, and again, anyone who thinks McElwain would have just let Grier walk, without knowing what he already had in Del Rio, isn't thinking this thing through.

I agree, Grier is talented, I think he'll do good things at West Virginia. Think Craig McElroy when you think of Del Rio. Smart, efficient, leader. And don't forget who McElroy's Offensive Cordinator was at Bama, McElwain.

Really like Grier's game. Can make the throws and affect the game with his athleticism..

Glad he's gone honestly..

Ok...he's a pocket passer...even better.

Yes, because the scrambling, run-first athlete Treon Harris, who couldn't pass a lick, or even see over the line of scrimmage at 5'9", or even the run-inclined Grier, would both be so much more efficient and tougher to defend in McElwain's pro-style, pocket passer offense. Makes perfect sense, advantage UT. 🙄

I don't care who Del Rio is. I'm tired of Vol fans looking at other teams and talking about their players. Go look at our roster. We are LOADED everywhere, at every position. Talk about their unproven QB with no experience. What about our QB! Talk about their unproven Juco RB, what about our running backs? Talk about their DL, who cares? What about our DL? Vols are stacked and Florida isn't going to know what hit them when Shoop punched them in the mouth and our offense gets revenge for 11 years and all the talking being done by Tabor and others. They're not ready

Yes, because the scrambling, run-first athlete Treon Harris, who couldn't pass a lick, or even see over the line of scrimmage at 5'9", or even the run-inclined Grier, would both be so much more efficient and tougher to defend in McElwain's pro-style, pocket passer offense. Makes perfect sense, advantage UT. 🙄

It does. Takes a facet away...

We feast...

It does. Takes a facet away...

We feast...

So McElwain finally gets his type of qb, the same type he had at Bama and even Colorado St, instead of a guy who is about as bad a fit as you can have in his system (Treon Harris), and that's somehow a good thing for UT?

Sorry, I just don't see it that way.

So McElwain finally gets his type of qb, the same type he had at Bama and even Colorado St, instead of a guy who is about as bad a fit as you can have in his system (Treon Harris), and that's somehow a good thing for UT?

Who's talking about Harris? Grier was the man for that system...

And yes...extremely good.

Something that will be interesting is how your receivers and passing game match up with our secondary. The defense Shoop runs benefits tremendously from having a lockdown corner like Sutton who can take away the short sideline every play. Would you classify your oline as pass or run block oriented?

You're looking at it wrongly, the offenses obviously don't play each other. UF has talent on defense just as UT does on offense. They see Hurd and say "awesome player," but "here's LB Jarrad Davis, we ain't scared." They go 9-deep on the d-line with guys like Brian Cox Jr, Caleb Brantley, Joey Ivie, CC Jefferson, etc. Their secondary is crazy talented, probably the best CB duo in the country in Tabor and Wilson, and one of the best safeties in Marcus Maye. How Maye and Davis didnt go pro is beyond me.

UF's offense is a mystery, and nobody really knows. But to dismiss this notion that Del Rio would have started over Grier last year as "Gator fan talk" would be a mistake. There are articles all over the place about that from last year before the season, and many other articles about how Del Rio was killing it as the practice squad qb against UF's first team defense. I'll say this; it's hard for me to think UF's offense will get worse than last year, yet last year's offense looked great at times against UT's defense, which basically has the same players returning. Yes, they'll return better/bigger/stronger, all that, but so will UF's players. Florida returns about 6 o-linemen with multiple starts, one of the most exciting young WR's in the country in Callaway, added a SEC-type RB in Thompson, and added two QB's who fit McElwain's offense so much better than Treon Harris that it ain't even funny.

All I'm saying is, once again, many are dismissing UF as a "boatrace" game, making the the same mistake, yet again. And then there will be utter shock and dismay when they look up and this game is a nailbiter deep into the 4th quarter, and maybe even a loss. Don't do it, Florida is good, possibly very good. This doesn't mean Tennessee isn't good, or possibly great. It's okay for both teams to be outstanding.

Please name the 9 deep on the d-line. I am dying to see this. Every school is 9 deep on the line. Quality is quite a different argument.

How about this. Who is a better coach Butch Jones or William Muffcramp? I'm going Butch hands down.

What about Butch vs Swamp Donkey? I'm going with Donkey.

Opinions?

Butch Jones is better and it's not even close. Swamp Donkey is going to be exposed this year.

Please name the 9 deep on the d-line. I am dying to see this. Every school is 9 deep on the line. Quality is quite a different argument.

Well as for us we got Barnett, McKenzie, Tuttle, Vickers, Obrien, Vereen, Phillips, Miller, Kongbo. Jeez Louise it's even scarier all typed out. Piqou for a little DT depth and hopefully Alexis Johnson gets back eventually. Woah nelly, lookout. Wonder if Butcher will get on the field some this season.

Well as for us we got Barnett, McKenzie, Tuttle, Vickers, Obrien, Vereen, Phillips, Miller, Kongbo. Jeez Louise it's even scarier all typed out. Piqou for a little DT depth and hopefully Alexis Johnson gets back eventually. Woah nelly, lookout. Wonder if Butcher will get on the field some this season.

You're missing Taylor, Mixon, Austin Smith and Lewis also. Lewis has made a significant number of plays the past few years.

Last edited:

I don't doubt his talent, and he may prove to be a great one at UF. However, he has no real starting experience, and just like any new QB, is going to have to experience growing pains in the SEC, and games against UMass, UK and NTSU are not going to prepare him for the pressure he will see from Shoops and the UT defense.

VN Store

Back