Who would you start at QB?

Who would you start at QB this season if you were the head coach?

• Jarrett Guarantano

• Harrison Bailey

• Brian Maurer

• JT Shrout

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would start Bailey. This is the best OL you could possibly start a freshman behind. You couldn’t plan a better scenario.

Maybe. However the flu has changed things and this OL hasnt had a chance to do much practicing. Also, has Mays been cleared yet?

Maurer was clearly considered by the coaching staff to be ahead of Shrout last year. He had won the starting job from JG (who was as inept as a 4th year QB could possibly be), but lost it due to injuries.
Shrout entered spring practice as the number 2. Ahead of Maurer.

Maybe. However the flu has changed things and this OL hasnt had a chance to do much practicing. Also, has Mays been cleared yet?
I'm not worried much about the not practicing part, everybody is going through it so it should only help veteran teams and those with lots of young talent, fortunately for us we have both. I've not seen where Mays had been clear and with the way things are so messed up right now who knows with the NCAA and what they might do. They all better hurry up and decide what they are going to do as just waiting around is starting to get tense.

If so, the quicker we cycle through that sequence the better.
Ehh.

I'm not as high on Bailey as most. It's too much pressure for a freshman QB who already has no idea what he's out there doing.

Until I see him looking like 16 reincarnated, he needs to sit.

JG will start the season. HB will get a shot somewhere early in the season. Got to hope he takes the job and runs with it because the ceiling of success on the year is not very high with JG at QB.

i think he's def better than maurer, but shrout...tbd.
So iow's... you are talking out of your rear.

I'm glad UT got HB. He looks like a talented kid. The recruiting services liked him. But he still has to prove how good he is at the next level. It is true that he played a high level of competition in HS. It is also true that he was surrounded by incredibly talented guys. We don't know how he would have performed with the talent Maurer had around him in HS or vice versa.

You and so many others are talking in definitive terms about things... we cannot definitely KNOW.

What are the 15%< who say Maurer smoking?
So iow's... you are talking out of your rear.

I'm glad UT got HB. He looks like a talented kid. The recruiting services liked him. But he still has to prove how good he is at the next level. It is true that he played a high level of competition in HS. It is also true that he was surrounded by incredibly talented guys. We don't know how he would have performed with the talent Maurer had around him in HS or vice versa.

You and so many others are talking in definitive terms about things... we cannot definitely KNOW.

We know JG was the best qb we had last year by far. So I guess going by that we need to all get behind him.

if we are going by the facts that is and what has been prove on the field.

We know JG was the best qb we had last year by far. So I guess going by that we need to all get behind him.

The 15% that say Maurer remember who was at the helm when the season turned around. You and your comrades may not want to give credit where it’s due because of WHO that credit is attached to but it changes nothing. The qb change itself inspired the team but His play vs UGA made them believe. Prior to, this team was lifeless and just “going through the motions” in losing efforts. That all changed once Maurer took the field and it didn’t change the rest of the season. JG stepped up his game in his opportunities as a result of knowing that he was no longer viewed as the “best QBs by far”. He played like he had something to prove. You say Maurer had NOTHING to do with wins but anyone paying attention can see he had EVERYTHING to do with the turn around. This was a 4-8 team last year if that change had never been made.

And Let’s not forget that we’re likely looking at a new head coach this year if he hadn’t pulled the trigger as well.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
They aren't. Why suggest such a stupid thing? They're looking at his potential based on some flashes last year and believe he is more likely to improve than the others.

No. We know that the coaches had to manage the position because JG was not good enough. He wasn't the "best by far". Pruitt was willing to throw their off season investment in JG away by game 4. He was ready to make Maurer the starter and live with all of the difficulties that come with it.

No you aren't. You never have. You parse the "stats" to suit you. If they don't fit your narrative you dismiss them altogether. You deny obvious short comings in JG then nitpick the others and particularly Maurer.

There will be more of a competition this fall. I hope it produces a QB that is MUCH better than anything we've seen over the last 3 years. I do not believe that will come from JG. I believe he is at or near his ceiling.

I watched part of the BYU game the other day. I had not remembered it before but McElroy was even talking about JG being late with his reads and throws.

FTR, my problem is with you and a few others... not JG. He has given his heart to the program. He possesses many of the traits that make a great QB. But he doesn't process quickly enough and apparently lacks whatever you call the ability to anticipate things in a moving situation. That's not a knock on him personally. It DOES keep him from being the QB UT needs.

The 15% that say Maurer remember who was at the helm when the season turned around. You and your comrades may not want to give credit where it’s due because of WHO that credit is attached to but it changes nothing. The qb change itself inspired the team but His play vs UGA made them believe. Prior to, this team was lifeless and just “going through the motions” in losing efforts. That all changed once Maurer took the field and it didn’t change the rest of the season. JG stepped up his game in his opportunities as a result of knowing that he was no longer viewed as the “best QBs by far”. He played like he had something to prove. You say Maurer had NOTHING to do with wins but anyone paying attention can see he had EVERYTHING to do with the turn around. This was a 4-8 team last year if that change had never been made.

I think the spark helped. I personally do not think anything that happened at the QB position was the main thing to turn the season around.

The D improved over the course of the season. They definitely began to believe that only a few mistakes kept them from being a D that could stop Bama and UGA. IMO, they won the last two games in spite of the play of the QB or the O over all. In fact, I'd give them a ton of the credit for every game after Bama. They seemed to come out of that game feeling good about themselves. UT actually held Bama to their lowest offensive output of the season and won the LOS for most of the game.

I think the OL progressively improved too.

I think the coaches entered the season hoping the QB position and O overall was settled. They managed or managed around the QB for the rest of the year.

I think the spark helped. I personally do not think anything that happened at the QB position was the main thing to turn the season around.

The D improved over the course of the season. They definitely began to believe that only a few mistakes kept them from being a D that could stop Bama and UGA. IMO, they won the last two games in spite of the play of the QB or the O over all. In fact, I'd give them a ton of the credit for every game after Bama. They seemed to come out of that game feeling good about themselves. UT actually held Bama to their lowest offensive output of the season and won the LOS for most of the game.

I think the OL progressively improved too.

I think the coaches entered the season hoping the QB position and O overall was settled. They managed or managed around the QB for the rest of the year.
Let me be clear that I didn’t mean that Maurer was the ONLY reason. I give the defense as much credit as you do because that’s the truth. I give Pruitt credit for the management of the situation as well. But for them to say Maurer had NOTHING to do with the wins is ludicrous

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I think the coaches entered the season hoping the QB position and O overall was settled.
If so, that was wishful thinking. We’ve been toward the bottom of the SEC in rushing the last 3 years. The coaches had to know that we weren’t going to magically be a lot better running the ball and that finding offense was going to be a little bit of a struggle at times.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
If so, that was wishful thinking. We’ve been toward the bottom of the SEC in rushing the last 3 years. The coaches had to know that we weren’t going to magically be a lot better running the ball and that finding offense was going to be a little bit of a struggle at times.
I think they thought that JG was going to play well enough to get them through the early part of the season while they brought the OL and run game along. Pruitt seemed genuinely confused when he said that the player they saw on Saturday wasn't the guy they'd seen all summer and in practice.

That's another reason I believe JG's problems are innate. He can look good in practice but when he has to draw on whatever innate talent is involved in making quick, instinctive reads and anticipating plays... he has to "think" that extra fraction of a second.

I think they thought that JG was going to play well enough to get them through the early part of the season while they brought the OL and run game along. Pruitt seemed genuinely confused when he said that the player they saw on Saturday wasn't the guy they'd seen all summer and in practice.
Now, that, I can buy into.

Reactions: sjt18

VN Store

Back