Who would you prefer Coach Pruitt or Coach Gundy

Who would you prefer Pruitt or Gundy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pretty sure Gundy's recruiting wouldn't be up to snuff. I think Cheney and Gundy are comparable as OCs. Also doubt Gundy wouldn't have a Defensive staff comparable to what we gave now. Lastly, while we overpaid for Pruitt, he's a damn site cheaper than Gundy. We're better off with Pruitt. No doubt.

Reactions: CAVPUT
But but look at all the games he's won, pretty impressive ...wait, I mean, he looks elite compared to Pruitt's 5.

Lol.

Yeah....and most of the other horses out of the gate looked superior to Secretariat, too!
Gundy has had 2 decades to win at an elite level......
I just hope CJP will be our Secretariat and make the rest of the SEC coaches take dictation!

Reactions: musolfmj
I think Coach Pruitt is going to be a great head coach that wins a National Championship someday, I'm hoping it's in Knoxville because if he wins big the next 2 years he's gonna be a hot commodity.

Gundy cannot win consistently in the big 12. That being said the jury is still out on Pruitt. I’d rather have Pruitt who may or may not become an elite head coach than a guy who averages 8 wins a season in a much weaker big 12 conference. Gundy does have nice hair though...

To be clear if I didn’t care much about how many we won or lost: Mike Leach

His interviews are some of the best ever

I’m happy to have Pruitt I think he’ll be exactly what Tennessee needs
God yes, we need "best ever interviews" forget wins. (seems we thought, for awhile, we had a good interview last guy here). AND I think PRUITT will bring wins given time. Leach might have just moved on trying to win recruiting and winning with his style in the SEC.

How many times have coaches in the SEC been successful when having consistently bad defenses? .......I'll wait

Reactions: AM64
Pruitt, JP wanted to be here, Gundy not so much, makes the choice easy. When you talk getting along in the new neighborhood, Knoxville is a good fit for coach Pruitt. Happy coach hopefully equals successful coach.

I'm excited and glad we have Pruitt. My biggest concern is that his OJT as HC will need patience and our team has been on a long slide that has strained our ability to wait. However, if continual improvement keeps us headed in the right direction he'll be fine. The worst case for Pruitt could be a surprise big year followed by a very disappointing one before he has it running smoothly. I'm not worried he'll leave for greener grass, because I WANT HIM TO BE A VERY DESIRED COMMODITY. GBO!

That's a solid point.

I don't think that's why Gundy would fail though.

I think the same can be said about being balanced on offense too....I didn't list that requirement bc someone would have came back with "the 90's Spurrier teams"...

The SEC is just different.

No one has proven they can be dominant in the SEC without being at least a little balanced and playing great defense. I loved watching Chip Kelly's 100 mph offenses at Oregon a few years back and at the time I genuinely thought this is the most innovative craziest stuff I've ever saw (in a good way).......The fact of the matter is that formula has never really fully transitioned to the SEC.

You have to ask the question, why? I have some ideas. A few of them have to do with the SEC programs building around not just having lightening quick athletes....But humongous/powerful lightening quick athletes.

On a side note though, I love Mike Leach....If for nothing else, for the comic relief...

Pruitt develops players. He recruits at an SEC and NC level. He’s a multiple NC winning DC who’s hired a lifer in Chaney at OC. I like the balance there. He’s not running a cult of personality operation that typically surrounds guys like Gundy and Leach. Or Kiffin for that matter.

How many articles have we seen quoting Pruitt claiming “Alabama threw the kitchen sink at me to get me to stay” or “Saban can’t win the big one without me.” None, zero, zilch.

Now just win baby!

I think the same can be said about being balanced on offense too....I didn't list that requirement bc someone would have came back with "the 90's Spurrier teams"...

The SEC is just different.
that's a myth though. Spurrier's teams were balanced. He focused on running the ball well. That gets lost because his air attack was so lethal and he never let up off the gas.

I think Gundy would fail on personality and leadership more than any scheme or "coaching" issue. He's also not the kind of recruiter IMO who would succeed in the SEC. Pruitt may not be either as a HC... but IMO Gundy just isn't.

... You have to ask the question, why? I have some ideas. A few of them have to do with the SEC programs building around not just having lightening quick athletes....But humongous/powerful lightening quick athletes.
I think that's it. Same reason you don't see it totally translate to the NFL. I actually respect the Pac12 and Big12 more than most here. That said, you see a lot more of their D's with "holes". They produce some great players but usually beside a great DL you'll see a couple of guys who are "complimentary". Typically in the SEC... those "complimentary" type players are a couple of levels up and if they aren't... they get exposed.

hat's a myth though. Spurrier's teams were balanced. He focused on running the ball well. That gets lost because his air attack was so lethal and he never let up off the gas.

I agree. They were balanced his entire career. Actually, I bet he ran it more than passed at USC. During his tenure at FL, while balanced, I think he used the pass to set up the run.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjt18
Let's reimagine this situation.

Imagine, instead, that we'd hired Gundy rather than Pruitt. Then today, with Gundy being our coach, Pride85 asks the exact same question.

Is your answer still Pruitt? Of course not.
Yeah, i never understand why folks feel the need to pretend that whomever is coaching this team is obviously the perfect cosch for us. Many if not most on here would be touting Schiano's great qualities had he been chosen.

Currently Pruitt has proven zero as a head coach. I hope and pray he will have changed that by the end of this season but the way the season wrapped up last year i am in a wait and see mode.

Reactions: hog88
Yeah, i never understand why folks feel the need to pretend that whomever is coaching this team is obviously the perfect cosch for us. Many if not most on here would be touting Schiano's great qualities had he been chosen.

Currently Pruitt has proven zero as a head coach. I hope and pray he will have changed that by the end of this season but the way the season wrapped up last year i am in a wait and see mode.

Reasonable post. So far Pruitt has made the moves that give me hope. He saw problems and got Chaney and Fitz. He's getting it done on the recruiting trail. Time will tell if he's going to be able to develop the players and improve the product on the field.

They say a team is a reflection of the head coach. I'll admit to not knowing much about Gundy, but I've seen and listened to Pruitt long enough to know he's really passionate about the game and demands results. He's not a brash talker and seems more focused on actions rather than words. Hopefully that means he's going to put a driven, hard working, no nonsense team on the field.

All things considered, I think I'm happy with Pruitt as our coach over Gundy. Now if we go 5-7 this year and recruiting falls apart, I'm sure my tune will change.

VN Store

Back