• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

Who starts?

rexvol

The Minister of Defense
what freshmen start right away, if any? who contributes significantly?

O'Neal and Vinson will get a bunch of PT early. If we land Willingham he will play early, and may start. We may see a freshman DL starting by the end of the season.

Vinson and O'Neal see playing time, with one of them starting if Meach leaves. O'Neal will likely return punts right away. Gerald Jones will get time on offense in a special package where he is worked around in the slot, at RB, etc. Jones will also return KO's. Willingham or Berry (if he commits) will start at the CB spot. Langley and Melancon will both be in the DT rotation, with one of them possibly starting before the end of the season. Then we have quite a few who will win back-up rolls and special team play...Chris Donald, Chris Walker, Dayrl Vereen, DeShaun Barnes, Art Evans, Gerald Williams.

Vinson and O'Neal see playing time, with one of them starting if Meach leaves. O'Neal will likely return punts right away. Gerald Jones will get time on offense in a special package where he is worked around in the slot, at RB, etc. Jones will also return KO's. Willingham or Berry (if he commits) will start at the CB spot. Langley and Melancon will both be in the DT rotation, with one of them possibly starting before the end of the season. Then we have quite a few who will win back-up rolls and special team play...Chris Donald, Chris Walker, Dayrl Vereen, DeShaun Barnes, Art Evans, Gerald Williams.

Neither Langley nor Melancon will start at DT next at any time.

Langley is good enough that he will be able to take Mapu's spot by the end of next season. If he doesnt improve to the point of being able to take Mapu's spot by the end of the season then our defense will not be at its strongest. Mapu just does not have the physical attributes that Langley has. Langley should be a stud at DT for UT before its said and done. And, Melancon has almost as much physical ability as Langley. They are both quicker and faster than Mapu. If Fisher improves a lot, then they might not be able to push ahead of him in terms of starting. But, both of them will be in the playing rotation. Bolden, Mapu, and Fisher are the only DT's we have that look like they will be ready for SEC competition next season. Dan Williams might get there, but as of right now it looks like he might fall behind the younger guys. I didn't include the possibility of Marvin Austin because we have no idea what will happen with his recruitment. But, if we were to get lucky and he did commit to UT he would start with Demonte Bolden from the get-go. He is that good.

I'd say Mapu will surprise everyone in the nation his senior season. Don't you remember what he was like before he left? All-SEC caliber as a sophomore. Mapu will regain form, and won't be replaced as a starter next season. Mapu and Bolden will both be solid starters at DT, it's the depth that Langley and Melancon will help out with.

Also, I'd say definitely Vinson, G. Jones, G. Williams, Donald, Berry, O'Neal, Willingham, Langley, Melancon, Walker, Evans, and Campbell may see some time. It's way too early to tell, but there may be quite a few players from this class playing pretty early.

O'Neal returned KO's at FSU his Frosh. year. He had over 500 yds. and an avg. of 24/return.

Yeah. I believe we will see Gerald Jones and O'Neal back there from the get go. I'd say Hefney still gets the thumbs up for Punt Returns @ first, though.

Btw, now that I'm on it. What's up with Frosh?

Short for Freshman?

OR

Stands for someone who has been let off the team, was unillegible his Freshman year?

Yeah. I believe we will see Gerald Jones and O'Neal back there from the get go. I'd say Hefney still gets the thumbs up for Punt Returns @ first, though.

Hefney returned punts out of need last season. Fulmer does not want him back there. He was on the field for too many snaps. Its not that he isnt capable because he is. Its because we have to have him at safety.

I would be VERY suprised if we didnt have some blitz packages for Donald next year. His closing speed for a linebacker is second-to-none.

Some people must have short memories.

Mapu came in without working out for two years. Before he left, he proved he could play at the highest levels in the SEC. Give him an off-season to get in shape before writing him off. At this point, he's proven alot more about his ability to play major CFB than any of the recruits including Austin.

Hefney returned punts out of need last season. Fulmer does not want him back there. He was on the field for too many snaps. Its not that he isnt capable because he is. Its because we have to have him at safety.

If Hefney got hurt, opponents would be throwing deep on us all day and we wouldn't be able to stop them.

VN Store

Back