Who starts at QB vs BG ?

Who starts at QB vs BG

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So this is pretty accurate, but based on no accounting for developing talent. IF this staff can develop talent, it would appear that Maurer and Milton have the physical tools to perform well in this scheme (in no particular order). Bailey and Hooker can certainly succeed as well IF developed.
The ability to develop is something we at Volnation are not used to.

PS. Milton and Maurer are the only qb's to be recruited by this Head Coach, is that right?
Recruited Bailey at Mizzou.

Reactions: 2GeeZ4VolZ
I think it’s funny as hell how VN forgets so easily what these coaches are forced to study. Milton may be the most physically talented but he underwhelmed at Michigan. This is the SEC. Much better/faster defenses here than there. What’s he going to do with a defense like Bama?

Bailey may be the most polished at reading defense but he’s also got the slowest release. Which leads to fumbles. Put pressure on him and he’s not the qb we seen in the spring game. Once again, what’s he gonna do vs any of the big three? He had his shot at the Gators and he didn’t exactly light them up. The rest of his starts were vs cupcakes.

Hooker may have the most experience but he lacks a few things needed in the SEC. He’s not fast enough to take over a game with his legs and he’s not great at the deep ball. Which seems to limit this particular system.

Maurer is the only qb on this roster to play vs Florida, UGA and Alabama. 2 of those starts were vs two of the big three and he’s the only qb that proved to give us a chance vs THOSE guys. “But he throws to the defense” and “he’s inaccurate” arguments are null in void because if those that use such an argument to dispose of him would just simply go back and watch, 3 of his 5 ints hit his receivers hands. 1 of them was literally two plays after landing on his head which later proved he was concussed.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he won the job because these coaches gotta take everything into consideration when choosing. Maurer performs under pressure and none of the others have proven on tape to match that.
I agree with everything you said but aint the new offense designed for the QB to get rid of the ball quickly?? Last year's offense had a ton of slow developing plays. Bailey was also a true freshman with no offseason program. The game should slow down for him this year.

I agree with everything you said but aint the new offense designed for the QB to get rid of the ball quickly?? Last year's offense had a ton of slow developing plays. Bailey was also a true freshman with no offseason program. The game should slow down for him this year.
Every bit of what you said was the same circumstances Maurer endured his freshman season as well and look how many forgot about him and what he was able to do under the same set of circumstances. It’s a damn joke

Reactions: Big Al Orange
70% for a guy that struggled in the Spring and was QB3 going into the O&W?

Interesting, though not sure if it lines up with what people that have seen practices and all scrimmages have said.

It seems often those folks have said Milton...Hooker...maybe Bailey/Maurer. Fans seem to be much higher on HB for whatever reason.

Just an interesting dichotomy that exists. Not sure why it exists, but it's there.

Bailey was recruited as the future and really no reason for that to change. If it's not Bailey I hope he goes somewhere that is not the SEC. Has way to much talent to sit so I am still hoping he is our guy because no matter what right now he has the brightest future and everyone else just trying to salvage what is left of there career.
What does that even mean? Hardly is anyone recruited to sit. Everyone wants to play and is recruited as such, except walkons.

He was also recruited by the previous staff, who also went out and got Hooker. Then Hype got here...and went out and got another guy. If that doesn't tell you the perception of Maurer/HB from multiple staffs idk what does. Doesn't mean Maurer/HB couldn't win the position, but it doesn't seem all the confidence is them either and one would really need to take the reigns to prove otherwise. Maybe it happens, who knows?

Honestly just want a competent scheme, which we'll finally have with bum Chaney gone. That will boost the entire offense regardless of QB (Hype will make the whole QB room much better as well).

Reactions: irish1485
70% for a guy that struggled in the Spring and was QB3 going into the O&W?

Interesting, though not sure if it lines up with what people that have seen practices and all scrimmages have said.

It seems often those folks have said Milton...Hooker...maybe Bailey/Maurer. Fans seem to be much higher on HB for whatever reason.

Just an interesting dichotomy that exists. Not sure why it exists, but it's there.
Allegedly. I hear that 3rd place narrative trotted around. Never from someone who would actually know. We’re all reading tea leaves and Heupel’s drinking coffee.

Reactions: peaygolf
Hooker, and Milton both have experience...real game experiance..not fluffs like Vandy or or blowout plays against a prevent...given how pruitt treated his QBs, I think BM or HB will have to make major strides...Bailey has the mind, but agianst avergae competition he showed a younger JG and ppl layed safe..whether him or coaching IDK, still haven't seen him thread a.needle on a pass.....BM has the physical but has yet too reign in his arm and becone more cerebral..he has threaded the needle and makes the WOW..but both are in experienced...my guess is that unless Hooker or Milton crap the bed, itll be one of those 2..and treat HB and BM like freshman and learn how to practice and read like Hype wants..and next season will see a huge jump in both of the younger guys, probably Milton 2 if Hooker starts

HB is the highest rated HS QB we’ve had in years. It will be very disappointing if he flames out.

In a couple years, but not like he was a comp 5* or very top QB "sure thing" type either....he's behind JG, Bray, Crompton, a bit ahead of Dobbs, Ainge, Salter.

One thing from that range of QBs is this - they need time. Fans need to be patient with ~100-200 ranked guys that aren't Tlaw or Fields off the bat.

He'll be fine I think, but needs time to get comfortable. He clearly wasn't in some situations last year, but he was absurdly unlucky having a missed COVID Spring. And he still completed 70% just missed situational opportunities and fumbled too much by holding on. Give em time, be patient, and he'll develop fine I think. Remember how long it took Ainge, Crompton, Dobbs (passing).

Bray so far has been the one exception that really excelled off the bat and he seems to be an exception in that regard.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
I say Milton
I hate it for Bailey but he has 4 years left and Milton has two… imagine how good Bailey will be his Junior and Senior year if he sticks… 3 years of dev one under Chaney and the other two under Huepel… meanwhile we put in an upper classmen QB who apparently is a stud
I think it’s funny as hell how VN forgets so easily what these coaches are forced to study. Milton may be the most physically talented but he underwhelmed at Michigan. This is the SEC. Much better/faster defenses here than there. What’s he going to do with a defense like Bama?

Bailey may be the most polished at reading defense but he’s also got the slowest release. Which leads to fumbles. Put pressure on him and he’s not the qb we seen in the spring game. Once again, what’s he gonna do vs any of the big three? He had his shot at the Gators and he didn’t exactly light them up. The rest of his starts were vs cupcakes.

Hooker may have the most experience but he lacks a few things needed in the SEC. He’s not fast enough to take over a game with his legs and he’s not great at the deep ball. Which seems to limit this particular system.

Maurer is the only qb on this roster to play vs Florida, UGA and Alabama. 2 of those starts were vs two of the big three and he’s the only qb that proved to give us a chance vs THOSE guys. “But he throws to the defense” and “he’s inaccurate” arguments are null in void because if those that use such an argument to dispose of him would just simply go back and watch, 3 of his 5 ints hit his receivers hands. 1 of them was literally two plays after landing on his head which later proved he was concussed.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he won the job because these coaches gotta take everything into consideration when choosing. Maurer performs under pressure and none of the others have proven on tape to match that.

This may be pretty far fetched but then again I think under Huepel it’s quite possible that Milton takes the starting position and goes pro after 2 years and hands the ball over to Bailey for 2. He is 6-5”, 245 quick study with a cannon and legs learning under a former Heisman QB candidate, national champion and well-known offensive coach. Bailey could still fill out some, preserve his body and become a master of the offense by the time he steps in…. And he might get meaningful snaps in some of these games…

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
In a couple years, but not like he was a comp 5* or very top QB "sure thing" type either....he's behind JG, Bray, Crompton, a bit ahead of Dobbs, Ainge, Salter.

One thing from that range of QBs is this - they need time. Fans need to be patient with ~100-200 ranked guys that aren't Tlaw or Fields off the bat.

He'll be fine I think, but needs time to get comfortable. He clearly wasn't in situations last year but he was absurdly unlucky having a missed COVID Spring. Give em time, be patient, and he'll develop fine I think. Remember how long it took Ainge, Crompton, Dobbs (passing).

Bray so far has been the one exception that really excelled off the bat and he seems to be an exception in that regard.
If “off the bat” were midseason.

I hate it for Bailey but he has 4 years left and Milton has two… imagine how good Bailey will be his Junior and Senior year if he sticks… 3 years of dev one under Chaney and the other two under Huepel… meanwhile we put in an upper classmen QB who apparently is a stud

This may be pretty far fetched but then again I think under Huepel it’s quite possible that Milton takes the starting position and goes pro after 2 years and hands the ball over to Bailey for 2. He is 6-5”, 245 quick study with a cannon and legs learning under a former Heisman QB candidate, national champion and well-known offensive coach. Bailey could still fill out some, preserve his body and become a master of the offense by the time he steps in…. And he might get meaningful snaps in some of these games…
Same can be said for any of them.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
My point exactly it is better to let Bailey fail and prove the fan base wrong than for Milton to continue to underachieve and fail running the risk of Bailey never starting here and going somewhere else and having a pretty good collage career. Right now it doesn't matter who start they are not going to lead this team to a championship unless some crazy happens with that being said Heupel has a chance to get the right guy no matter who that may be. Everyone knows how bad backlash can become at Tennessee so like I said let Bailey sink or swim to prove he is the guy or he is not.
If you think a Hype is going to play people out of public opinion, idk what to say. I'd lose all respect for some PR move like that. Hype is playing to win immediately, not appease some portion of the fanbase that (for whatever reason 😐) is pulling for 1 kid above the rest.

If HB starts, it will be because he WON the job and rightfully so. He has every opportunity and all the talent to. Let's not diminish him by saying he'll win the job because Hype is too chickenshiz to play the best player.

Unfortunately I think HB and Maurer may be casualties of Pruitt-gate.

The timing of Milton’s transfer in (after the spring game) tells me that Heupel actively brought him in.

He’s already graduated from UM so it’s not like he’s in Knoxville for a degree.

He has starting experience and 3 years of eligibility.

The only thing he has against him is that he missed spring, but with potentially few or no class load, he should have time to catch up.

We can debate arm strength and release speed till we’re blue in the face, but the fact he came in after the Heupel hire with 3 QBs already on the roster tells me everything I need to know.
Insurance in case one transfers.

Hooker, and Milton both have experience...real game experiance..not fluffs like Vandy or or blowout plays against a prevent...given how pruitt treated his QBs, I think BM or HB will have to make major strides...Bailey has the mind, but agianst avergae competition he showed a younger JG and ppl layed safe..whether him or coaching IDK, still haven't seen him thread a.needle on a pass.....BM has the physical but has yet too reign in his arm and becone more cerebral..he has threaded the needle and makes the WOW..but both are in experienced...my guess is that unless Hooker or Milton crap the bed, itll be one of those 2..and treat HB and BM like freshman and learn how to practice and read like Hype wants..and next season will see a huge jump in both of the younger guys, probably Milton 2 if Hooker starts
Joe Milton has only threw a football in a collage game 152 times and he has played in about 8 games total in 3 season. Hooker has played in 15 games over the last 2 season but his story looks to be like BM he looks to be inconsistent in his play and not be able to lock down the job and hold on to it. There is nothing about there experience that says they are these automatic starter. Also BM is going to be a JR so if he doesn't win he is probably out of here and I don't blame him because he has the talent to transfer out and still have a decent finish to his career.

Reactions: sona
Joe Milton has only threw a football in a collage game 152 times and he has played in about 8 games total in 3 season. Hooker has played in 15 games over the last 2 season but his story looks to be like BM he looks to be inconsistent in his play and not be able to lock down the job and hold on to it. There is nothing about there experience that says they are these automatic starter. Also BM is going to be a JR so if he doesn't win he is probably out of here and I don't blame him because he has the talent to transfer out and still have a decent finish to his career.
Milton played 13 games in 3 seasons..but experience wise yes 152 passes..but he started against 3 top 25 teams and MSU
That more experiance the HB and BM...
And Hooker has almost 3k in yards and 22/7 ratio..again much more experianc..and BM will be a sophmore

Milton played 13 games in 3 seasons..but experience wise yes 152 passes..but he started against 3 top 25 teams and MSU
That more experiance the HB and BM...
And Hooker has almost 3k in yards and 22/7 ratio..again much more experianc..and BM will be a sophmore
Some how he still couldn't hold on to his job in the ACC.

Some how he still couldn't hold on to his job in the ACC.
SEC StatCat did a nice writeup on this. Basically VT plays a whole different style...more horizontal, dips, and dunks. He thinks he could thrive in Hype's system though is also left wondering if VT was hedging against/hiding Hooker's weaknesses with their scheme.

One thing I believe is Hype will want someone that can not only manage the offense but take deep shots and connect. Not sure if any of the 4 have shown that consistently, though Milton is supposed to have a big arm. Maurer sort of does, but just so dang erratic. HB has the depth, but hasn't shown the deep accuracy yet. Hooker appears just so-so in that regard.

Reactions: Southeastern VFL
Insurance in case one transfers.
No, and here’s why:

I could be wrong, but no one could convince me that Milton (4* QB) chose to come to a program in termoil, with 4 QBs already on the roster (I forgot Salter was still on team then) to ride the pine for his remaining 3 years of eligibility behind Bailey/Maurer as a depth piece.

If CJH had his starter locked up, or at least felt confident he could develop a starter out of what he had, Milton would be nowhere near Knoxville when he could transfer to one of 30 other programs and be the outright starter.

He probably wasn’t promised the starting spot, but you best believe he was convinced he’s got a great shot at it. Definitely not “come hang out with our guys in case one might leave.”

Saying he came to UT as an insurance policy is like saying Justin Fields transferred to osu to sit behind Tate Martell.

Reactions: LittleVol

Milton has 3 years of eligibility remaining.

VN Store

Back