Who sold cokes/hot dogs at Neyland as a kid?

VeeOhElEsYes

My brother and I sold cokes and hot dogs(Smokey dogs) at Neyland for several seasons as kids. My dad would drop us off at the stadium a couple hours before games and we’d go in and pay $20 for a rack. You’d sell them all keep the profit and go buy another rack. Pretty great way to make money as a kid and watch the games. I can remember going in and seeing the field early in the day and it just being the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen. It’s a great memory of mine and part of what makes me a lifelong Tennessee Volunteer. Any of y’all do this?
Go Vols!

My brother and I sold cokes and hot dogs(Smokey dogs) at Neyland for several seasons as kids. My dad would drop us off at the stadium a couple hours before games and we’d go in and pay $20 for a rack. You’d sell them all keep the profit and go buy another rack. Pretty great way to make money as a kid and watch the games. I can remember going in and seeing the field early in the day and it just being the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen. It’s a great memory of mine and part of what makes me a lifelong Tennessee Volunteer. Any of y’all do this?
Go Vols!

Sold drinks during 60s. Nothing like it is today.

I don't know when you sold hotdogs at Neyland,VeeohEies,but,when I was in school(66-71),there was an older man,Aronold Zandy who sold "yummies for the tummy"atthe games.He later ran for mayor of Knoxville against Randy Tyree saying something like"if I can sell yummies at ballgames,I canrun for mayor.

I don't know when you sold hotdogs at Neyland,VeeohEies,but,when I was in school(66-71),there was an older man,Aronold Zandy who sold "yummies for the tummy"atthe games.He later ran for mayor of Knoxville against Randy Tyree saying something like"if I can sell yummies at ballgames,I canrun for mayor.
Look at posts #9 and #10. I was in school for the 1967-71 seasons.

Go Vols!

Yep. Once got a $100 tip from a visiting Bama fan for bringing him cups of just ice for his booze he snuck in.

Anybody go to the All Sports Camp at UT as a kid, was great being in Neyland with some of the current coaching staff, I remember George Cafego was one of the coaches the year I was there.

During the dreadful start to the ‘88 season a buddy and I went to buy a couple of trays to sell in the stadium out of boredom during the LSU game. They were hesitant to give us trays but finally did.

We had a difficult time in the student section so we went to the other side of the stadium. For some reason people were skeptical to buy from a couple of college kids.

I love this post. Thanks for sharing it.

Reactions: VeeOhElEsYes
My brother and I sold cokes and hot dogs(Smokey dogs) at Neyland for several seasons as kids. My dad would drop us off at the stadium a couple hours before games and we’d go in and pay $20 for a rack. C sell them all keep the profit and go buy another rack. Pretty great way to make money as a kid and watch the games. I can remember going in and seeing the field early in the day and it just being the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen. It’s a great memory of mine and part of what makes me a lifelong Tennessee Volunteer. Any of y’all do this?
Go Vols!

Had a better deal than that. For a couple of seasons as a HS so and jr I got to wear a white jacket and a hard hat with a red cross on it and carry around a giant walkie talkie as a spotter for the Red Cross.... Coach Cotton Jackson left Bearden HS to run the local office and gave me the chance. I was assigned specific areas but found through experimentation that I could go anywhere I desired and security would even open the gates when necessary. I once prior to kickoff pushed the envelope and got up in the pressbox area.. but not for long.

One of the neatest things about this deal was every game day an hour or so before kickoff in the headquarters area first door under section A, Dr Andy Holt would join us for a hotdog out of the pot (a popcorn popper I think) that was there for the crew. Most cordial guy you could ever meet. This would have been for the 66 and 67 seasons. Among the many ORANGE blessings I had as a kid...

VN Store

Back