Who should be the starting 5

utbasketballloft

So after watching the 2 exhibitions, and the game against utc in which tabb didnt play, jp made his first appearance of the season, and bw had made his return after missing a game,who do you viw as the best possible starting 5? id say:
PG: bobby maze
SG: scotty hopson
SF: jp prince
PF: tyler smith
C: wayne chism

BENCH
PG: josh tabb
SG: cam tatum
SF: renaldo woolridge
PF: negedu
C: bw
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Just switch Prince and Tatum and you're good.
yea thatd be the only change i considered at all but tatum is a 2 he likes shooting outside and is more of a 2 in pearls system. also though if he plays 3 you have tatum jp and woolridge at the 3, thats way too much talent for not enough minutes. and pearl likes woolridges game and likes having him in the game as a 3 it causes lots of mismatches on both ends of the floor. so in order to maximize the talent that they have they need tatum at the 2. atleast thats my opinion.

If Tabb works out as the backup PG, it will be interesting to see who eventually gets demoted, because Pearl prefers a primarily 9-man rotation.

yea thatd be the only change i considered at all but tatum is a 2 he likes shooting outside and is more of a 2 in pearls system. also though if he plays 3 you have tatum jp and woolridge at the 3, thats way too much talent for not enough minutes. and pearl likes woolridges game and likes having him in the game as a 3 it causes lots of mismatches on both ends of the floor. so in order to maximize the talent that they have they need tatum at the 2. atleast thats my opinion.

Both Scotty and Tatum are capable of playing the 3. Woolridge is proving to be pretty good - but still doesn't deserve as many minutes as the others yet. Tatum and Hopson should see the most minutes either way over Prince and Prince over Wooldridge. However he gets it done - is fine by me.

it's hard to deny the explosiveness prince brings off the bench. I see a similar roll with negedu and woolridge this year.

who do we have to slow things down if necessary this year?

I wouldn't be shocked to see BW challenge Chism for the starting 5 spot at some point, if the two continue on their respective paths.

How many shots did Chism have compared to BW this past game? Seemed like he missed layup after layup.

yea my view has changed a little bit after tuesdays game. tatum has definetely shown that he is very good, prince has also looked good, and brian williams has defenitely impressed me more than i thought he would, but then again who'd have though Big Wayne would have 2 double doubles in 2 games? scotty hopson didnt play much last game and looked very passive on the offensive end(i guess inconsistency is to be expected from a frosh) but i cant imagine Pearl benching him thatd hurt future recruiting, plus his upside is amazing. i think pearl would probably shy away from replacing hopson and woolridge with tatum and prince in the lineup because then he's going to have a second team out on the floor at times of: maze, hopson, woolridge, negedu, and williams!!!thats a very young and inexperienced 2nd team to have out there. as previously stated in this thread who starts may not be the person that averages the most minutes at their position it may just be whats best and the most balanced for the team. so with that said i do think we will see an adjustment and that the lineup will end up looking like:
PG: Bobby Maze
SG: Scotty Hopson(i just dont see pearl benching him)
SF: J.P. Prince
PF: Tyler Smith
C: Wayne Chism

BENCH
PG: Josh Tabb
SG: Cameron Tatum
SF: Renaldo Woolridge
PF: Emmanuel Negedu
C: Brian Williams
(Pearl likes using just 9 but i think all 10 will see time. I think Woolridge and Negedu may see varied amounts of minutes each game depending on the opponent and the way the games going. I see everybody else getting about the same amount each game.?

I like the starting lineup. Prince prefers to come off the bench. He brings the spark. I love what Woolridge can bring to the table. That was my starting lineup after the Ex. games and don't fix it if it ain't broke. But if I had to change anything it would be Woolridge and Tatum switchin out.

I like the starting lineup. Prince prefers to come off the bench. He brings the spark. I love what Woolridge can bring to the table. That was my starting lineup after the Ex. games and don't fix it if it ain't broke. But if I had to change anything it would be Woolridge and Tatum switchin out.

Ya i defenitely do agree that Prince is better coming off the bench. Not only that but he does provide some leadership and experience to the 2nd squad. Tatum wont play the 3 he'll be staying at the 2 and backing up Hopson. So i guess i really dont see a change being made to the starting lineup. I believe that Woolridge will continue to start at the 3 but that JP will log more minutes a game than him at the 3. If theres one lineup change that i could see happening it would be against a bigger better rebounding team that i could see(because of the progression of BW) that we could see Maze, Hopson, Smith, Chism, Williams. At this point thats the only modification that i see possible but i dont consider it very likely. We should have a much better idea though about everything sometime shortly after thanksgiving.

VN Store

Back