Who is your favorite modern day and legacy BaseVol?

I’m dating myself as “young” with my legacy but it would be Eli Iorg. That 2005 team was my first year on campus and I loved the way he played. His bravado would fit in perfectly with the CTV teams the last few years. I’ll never forget him throwing the ball towards the dugout on the Saturday night game, after between innings warmup and pelting Arkansas 1B coach in the box with a one hopper. The 1B coach had been mouthy all night with fans, players and HP ump that Eli finally had enough. Iorg was ejected for his antics and the 1B coach was ultimately “ejected” himself by DVH. He pulled him off the field a few innings later and sent him to the locker room.

Modern Day would be 3 for different reasons. Beck - my son and I got to meet him after the 2020 season was cancelled when he was back home in Alabama and working in our neighborhood. I’ve got family from Hazel Green that knows the Beck’s well so we had a “connection” and JB would always take the time to chat with myself and/or son after games if we ran into him.

Gilbert - I was an undersized, mouthy CF who wore #1. Enough said.

Dallas - became my son’s favorite player on the 2021 team (he dropped Beck) when he started wearing glasses like Chad. He chatted with my son in between innings at Hoover about their glasses and told us to come find him after the game. It was after the opening loss to Bama and I was leery of bothering him after a demoralizing loss but we went and hung out by the team bus anyway. He found us loitering and came over on his own and asked me if I would take a picture of him and my son together. I’ll always admire the classiness and maturity that took at that moment.
That’s awesome. Bet that was a forever memory for your son (and you).

Reactions: chuckiepoo
That’s awesome. Bet that was a forever memory for your son (and you).
My son’s memory is a vault when it comes to baseball; school work and chores is a whole other thing. He literally reminds me of plays from that 2021 season all the time and he was 4. I got a kick out of a ball tipping off his glove playing catch recently and he said that was what happened to JB against Wright State (or green team in his words) on the HR in the regional. We can’t remember what we were told to do or not to do 10 min ago but we can remember the important stuff.

My son’s memory is a vault when it comes to baseball; school work and chores is a whole other thing. He literally reminds me of plays from that 2021 season all the time and he was 4. I got a kick out of a ball tipping off his glove playing catch recently and he said that was what happened to JB against Wright State (or green team in his words) on the HR in the regional. We can’t remember what we were told to do or not to do 10 min ago but we can remember the important stuff.
Sounds like he’s caught the baseball bug! 👍🍊👊😀🍊

Sounds like he’s caught the baseball bug! 👍🍊👊😀🍊
May that be a bug that he never gets over. ;)

I’m dating myself as “young” with my legacy but it would be Eli Iorg. That 2005 team was my first year on campus and I loved the way he played. His bravado would fit in perfectly with the CTV teams the last few years. I’ll never forget him throwing the ball towards the dugout on the Saturday night game, after between innings warmup and pelting Arkansas 1B coach in the box with a one hopper. The 1B coach had been mouthy all night with fans, players and HP ump that Eli finally had enough. Iorg was ejected for his antics and the 1B coach was ultimately “ejected” himself by DVH. He pulled him off the field a few innings later and sent him to the locker room.

Modern Day would be 3 for different reasons. Beck - my son and I got to meet him after the 2020 season was cancelled when he was back home in Alabama and working in our neighborhood. I’ve got family from Hazel Green that knows the Beck’s well so we had a “connection” and JB would always take the time to chat with myself and/or son after games if we ran into him.

Dallas - became my son’s favorite player on the 2021 team (he dropped Beck) when he started wearing glasses like Chad. He chatted with my son in between innings at Hoover about their glasses and told us to come find him after the game. It was after the opening loss to Bama and I was leery of bothering him after a demoralizing loss but we went and hung out by the team bus anyway. He found us loitering and came over on his own and asked me if I would take a picture of him and my son together. I’ll always admire the classiness and maturity that took at that moment.

As a fellow Glasses Wearer...this makes my day.

Legacy- Burke. Went to UT when he did. Good dude. Never forget "engineering" a Jamaican bar TV to watch the CWS he was in.

Modern- Its tough...probably Red or Kirby. I enjoy watching pitchers frustrate hitters. Plus...both genuinely good guys.

I was actually a pitcher on that TN Tech team. Even though they beat us on the scoreboard that day in Cookeville, we definitely got the best of Hecker (broken nose) and others in the brawl. 😂 There were 2-3 NCAA suspensions on each side and we couldn’t play them for the next two seasons. Even our head cosch and delmonico were about to go at it. In terms of baseball brawls, that one was legit and violent. Haha.

Whenever Sean was recruited to play for UT, that’s the first thing I thought of. From a brawl with UT to my kid pitching there. Haha.
How about an update on Sean's spring training?

That's an awesome picture...... and Chad was easy to love.

I will always have a special place in the heart for Stewie and AJ, but during that same period, there was Will Maddox, he rarely missed a game, could play any position and with RISP, you knew he would get the run in. Gutsy player.

Modern, kinda early but…Luc. I guess same type qualities.

GBO!!!

Modern- Luc
Old school- Steve Searcy

Honorable mentions
Drew Gilbert
Chad Dallas
Drew Beam
Kirby
Sewell
Gomes
Headley
Senzel
Trammel
Freeman
Helton
Beck
Too many to just choose 2!

I will always have a special place in the heart for Stewie and AJ, but during that same period, there was Will Maddox, he rarely missed a game, could play any position and with RISP, you knew he would get the run in. Gutsy player.

Modern, kinda early but…Luc. I guess same type qualities.

GBO!!!

Luc is a favorite in both legacy and modern.

How about an update on Sean's spring training?
Thanks for asking. He has had a great spring so far. He and 15 other Rays top pitching prospects were invited to spend three weeks at Tropicana with the Rays MLB coaching staff and coordinators. That led right into spring training. They want him to remain as a starter this year (they converted him to starter in AA last year). He will start the season in AA more than likely, but hopefully he makes the jump to AAA Durham at some point this summer, based on feedback.

Thanks for asking. He has had a great spring so far. He and 15 other Rays top pitching prospects were invited to spend three weeks at Tropicana with the Rays MLB coaching staff and coordinators. That led right into spring training. They want him to remain as a starter this year (they converted him to starter in AA last year). He will start the season in AA more than likely, but hopefully he makes the jump to AAA Durham at some point this summer, based on feedback.
That's great. Please keep us updated as much as you can. Sean is a VolNation all time favorite.

VN Store

Back