Who is your favorite modern day and legacy BaseVol?

Modern day: Kirby Connell
Legacy: Kirby Connell
You are required to have two different answers šŸ˜œ

In all seriousness, I do love Kirby. Whenever I took my son to see his first game at LNS last season he stood there and signed every kidā€™s item until they all left. And this was a midweek game against Bellarmine. @preacherman20 raised his boy right.

Modern day - the freshman class of the 2018 season. Those guys arrived the same time as CTV and transformed this team and program. Guys like Evan Russell, Sean Hunley, Garrett Crochet and Zach Daniels, with Russell and Hunley helping lead the team to the CWS. Special group.

Past player - Todd Helton, for what he did at the plate, in the field and on the mound. Such a tremendous athlete. Chris Burke is a close second.

Current-I really like C. Moore

I was 12 in 93, and we went to a lot of games and the regionals from 93-95 so I loved those teams, those uniforms. I would have killed for the coverage we have now for those teams. I use to clip out any pictures from the news papers just to have what the uniforms looked like, especially the away ones. Helton was and is my dude. Was in college for Burke so he would be my second player. That guy could flat out play.

Mine are:
Modern day: Evan Russell with a honorable mention to Drew Gilbert and Kirby Connell
Legacy: Todd Helton with a honorable mention to Chris Burke and Condredge Holloway

Who are yours and why?

Cannot disagree with this list. Modern day. Would modify only in adding Luc Lipcius along with Evan. Luc started with CTV and stuck it out six years - intelligent, field general, and incredible competitor. Evan, the Vandy killer. Played wherever the team needed him and became the UT homerun lead -- at least for part of an inning before Luc tied him. Both will forever be associated with UT's resurgence in baseball. Drew put the fire in Tennessee baseball both for the players and the fans. Who can ever forget the 2021 Wright State game! Bar none, the most exciting single play in any sport I have ever attended. Kirby is the epitome of the all-in-for-Tennessee teammate in the spectacular pitching staff CTV and CFA has created - deadly accurate, efficient, and with his own unique flair - The Stache! Tennessee baseball, dominant and fun.

Legacy. Along with Phil, these are no doubt the legacies. Need to get #2 up on the fence at LNS with #1, #3, and #18.

R.A. Dickey was really funny guy when here. He stands out even on a team with a lot of personalities. Doug Hecker and his taking on the entire Tennessee Tech team in a fight stands out though.
I've been partial to a lot of the catchers in my 30+ years of supporting team. DiFelice, Northeimer, Espinosa, Bibee, Herrera , Arencibia, Gomes, Forsythe, Santiago.

for recent guys. I really liked Jorel Ortega. He seemed to be so clutch and our most consistent player (defense and offense) as last season went on.

Cannot disagree with this list. Modern day. Would modify only in adding Luc Lipcius along with Evan. Luc started with CTV and stuck it out six years - intelligent, field general, and incredible competitor. Evan, the Vandy killer. Played wherever the team needed him and became the UT homerun lead -- at least for part of an inning before Luc tied him. Both will forever be associated with UT's resurgence in baseball. Drew put the fire in Tennessee baseball both for the players and the fans. Who can ever forget the 2021 Wright State game! Bar none, the most exciting single play in any sport I have ever attended. Kirby is the epitome of the all-in-for-Tennessee teammate in the spectacular pitching staff CTV and CFA has created - deadly accurate, efficient, and with his own unique flair - The Stache! Tennessee baseball, dominant and fun.

Legacy. Along with Phil, these are no doubt the legacies. Need to get #2 up on the fence at LNS with #1, #3, and #18.
Very well said and I couldnā€™t agree more with your comments.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Modern - Drew Gilbert
Honorable Mention - Garrett Stallings and Chad Dallas

Legacy - Chris Burke
Honorable Mention - Bryan Morgadoā€¦..dude is super nice and Iā€™ve been fortunate to have a few conversations with him.

Reactions: StarRaider
R.A. Dickey was really funny guy when here. He stands out even on a team with a lot of personalities. Doug Hecker and his taking on the entire Tennessee Tech team in a fight stands out though.
I've been partial to a lot of the catchers in my 30+ years of supporting team. DiFelice, Northeimer, Espinosa, Bibee, Herrera , Arencibia, Gomes, Forsythe, Santiago.

for recent guys. I really liked Jorel Ortega. He seemed to be so clutch and our most consistent player (defense and offense) as last season went on.

I was actually a pitcher on that TN Tech team. Even though they beat us on the scoreboard that day in Cookeville, we definitely got the best of Hecker (broken nose) and others in the brawl. šŸ˜‚ There were 2-3 NCAA suspensions on each side and we couldnā€™t play them for the next two seasons. Even our head cosch and delmonico were about to go at it. In terms of baseball brawls, that one was legit and violent. Haha.

Whenever Sean was recruited to play for UT, thatā€™s the first thing I thought of. From a brawl with UT to my kid pitching there. Haha.

Modern. Trey and Drew. Trey because he waited his turn and had such an epic season. Drew because that walk off GS sums up his career so well and he had to overcome some medical challenges as a kid.

Legacy. Helton and Holloway
Trey Lipscombā€™s loyalty and perseverance will never be forgotten. Heā€™s a VFL and role model for othersā€”-so happy that it paid off for him.

Modern day: Chase Dollander (love to watch him pitch and heā€™s a great interview).

Honorable mention Modern Day: Blake Burke (Ken Griffey Jr. Swing)

Legacy: Todd Helton (people forget what a great pitcher he was at UT as well).

Honorable mention Legacy: Robby Howard (he was my Algebra 2 teacher and a great guy)

Modern day: Chase Dollander (love to watch him pitch and heā€™s a great interview).

Honorable mention Modern Day: Blake Burke (Ken Griffey Jr. Swing)

Legacy: Todd Helton (people forget what a great pitcher he was at UT as well).

Honorable mention Legacy: Robby Howard (he was my Algebra 2 teacher and a great guy)
Goodness! You rang my bell šŸ””!
Honorable mention for Rick Evans!

Reactions: Tenacjim
Iā€™m dating myself as ā€œyoungā€ with my legacy but it would be Eli Iorg. That 2005 team was my first year on campus and I loved the way he played. His bravado would fit in perfectly with the CTV teams the last few years. Iā€™ll never forget him throwing the ball towards the dugout on the Saturday night game, after between innings warmup and pelting Arkansas 1B coach in the box with a one hopper. The 1B coach had been mouthy all night with fans, players and HP ump that Eli finally had enough. Iorg was ejected for his antics and the 1B coach was ultimately ā€œejectedā€ himself by DVH. He pulled him off the field a few innings later and sent him to the locker room.

Modern Day would be 3 for different reasons. Beck - my son and I got to meet him after the 2020 season was cancelled when he was back home in Alabama and working in our neighborhood. Iā€™ve got family from Hazel Green that knows the Beckā€™s well so we had a ā€œconnectionā€ and JB would always take the time to chat with myself and/or son after games if we ran into him.

Gilbert - I was an undersized, mouthy CF who wore #1. Enough said.

Dallas - became my sonā€™s favorite player on the 2021 team (he dropped Beck) when he started wearing glasses like Chad. He chatted with my son in between innings at Hoover about their glasses and told us to come find him after the game. It was after the opening loss to Bama and I was leery of bothering him after a demoralizing loss but we went and hung out by the team bus anyway. He found us loitering and came over on his own and asked me if I would take a picture of him and my son together. Iā€™ll always admire the classiness and maturity that took at that moment.

Attachments

• 780F7C23-9E53-4DED-9CDF-849A0BCED94E.jpeg
    780F7C23-9E53-4DED-9CDF-849A0BCED94E.jpeg
    807.8 KB · Views: 13

VN Store

Back