Who is on the team next year?

A dream

PG: ZZ / Malik Mack / Boswell (RS)
SG: Chaz Lanier / Gainey
SF: Darlingstone Dubar / Carr
PF: Mashack / Phillips
C: Awaka / Aidoo / JP

Not sure on numbers or whatever, but if we have any other spots, I'd get another big. Gainey and Carr get more minutes then step into a starting role the following year
I'm not sure they'll be able to keep Carr off the floor next year. With another off season to sharpen his defense to fit what CRB requires to go with an already confident offensive game I see him around 20 minutes a game minimum.

ZZ
??
Mashack
??
Awaka

That's the projections I'd make right now today. Aidoo has a tough decision to make don't know for sure if he'll be drafted, but he should and likely will test the waters could see him being a late pick though still young and has great size/length but even then teams with bigger willingness to throw NIL will come after him again doubt we match a higher offer than his current.

Gainey, Carr or Freddie could all start as the 2...I'd give Gainey the early edge, but the incoming freshmen could also be in the mix or a portal guy (Like Lanier)

JP will play a lot of minutes and could even start if they decide to move Awaka to the 4.

I will be very shocked if we have 4 guards on the court 6'6" and smaller like we did the bulk of the time this year. If we see a guard in that 4 spot it'll be someone with more size (quite a few names in the portal are 6'7" or taller that we're interested in, Tucker Anderson being 6'9" could be the best fit with 3 years left)

Reactions: Volfan1000
I'm not sure they'll be able to keep Carr off the floor next year. With another off season to sharpen his defense to fit what CRB requires to go with an already confident offensive game I see him around 20 minutes a game minimum.
He’s definitely got the confidence! Love what I saw from him. That shot he made will carry him a longgggggg way. One shot, but in a BIG moment.

Reactions: Lefteye
Totally agree about Carr. We will need some scoring next year and this guy played fearless when he was on the court.

Last edited:
So let’s kick a second team All SEC center to the curb who was second in the league in blocked shots and made great improvements from a year ago? If he were to enter the portal, he would be ranked as a top 5 recruit. Who’s to say he doesn’t improve his strength and skills even more for next year? Some of you guys are just angry!
Blocked shots are great, but he can’t score. Numerous doinks off the rim from in the paint, chronic missed layups right under the basket….and he’s almost 7ft. Don’t get me wrong, I like that guy and hope he improves, but depending on what takes place wrt the portal, we will have to see what coach Barnes thinks.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
Blocked shots are great, but he can’t score. Numerous doinks off the rim from in the paint, chronic missed layups right under the basket….and he’s almost 7ft. Don’t get me wrong, I like that guy and hope he improves, but depending on what takes place wrt the portal, we will have to see what coach Barnes thinks.
Prior to the tournament, he was averaging 12 points a game, shooting over 50% and almost 8 rebounds. He was our second best scorer (now ZZ). He definitely hit some bad spots, but he also won us a few games.

For me I’m very excited to see Carr play and some people in the portal
ZZ
Mashack
Tobe
Estrella
Carr
Gainey

I think the rest are unknown for now. I hope Cade comes back. Like what I saw in his limited action.

ZZ
??
Mashack
??
Awaka

That's the projections I'd make right now today. Aidoo has a tough decision to make don't know for sure if he'll be drafted, but he should and likely will test the waters could see him being a late pick though still young and has great size/length but even then teams with bigger willingness to throw NIL will come after him again doubt we match a higher offer than his current.

Gainey, Carr or Freddie could all start as the 2...I'd give Gainey the early edge, but the incoming freshmen could also be in the mix or a portal guy (Like Lanier)

JP will play a lot of minutes and could even start if they decide to move Awaka to the 4.

I will be very shocked if we have 4 guards on the court 6'6" and smaller like we did the bulk of the time this year. If we see a guard in that 4 spot it'll be someone with more size (quite a few names in the portal are 6'7" or taller that we're interested in, Tucker Anderson being 6'9" could be the best fit with 3 years left)

I think Gainey finds his way in, he has been playing well at times. For some reason, I thought ZZ was a senior and done after this year. That changes my entire outlook.

Next year has a serious chance to be a 25 plus win team again next year. Just play the portal right and with what we think is returning. Gotta chance to be fun as hell.
Side note. Do hope Freddie stays. Him and Cameron Carr duo would be ELITE

Reactions: Chunkyvol12
Prior to the tournament, he was averaging 12 points a game, shooting over 50% and almost 8 rebounds. He was our second best scorer (now ZZ). He definitely hit some bad spots, but he also won us a few games.
I think its fine to be critical of Aidoo down the stretch, but we've had several posters forget what he meant to the team this year. For sure won us a few games.

Zeigler
Mashack
?
?
Awaka

Not sure where they go at the 2 and 3. I'd like to see DJ Jefferson Play at the SF but idk if he's going to be on the team still.

I think they are going to start Awaka over Aidoo. Awaka has been emerging as a serious player.
If that's the case, they need to go to the portal and find a 7' (1" - 4") 285 lb version of Awaka because 6' 8" at 250 lbs as your primary post just isn't going to cut it.

If that's the case, they need to go to the portal and find a 7' (1" - 4") 285 lb version of Awaka because 6' 8" at 250 lbs as your primary post just isn't going to cut it.
It amazes me how many people believe there’s an abundance of athletic, strong guys over seven feet. Name a few examples of such a person in the portal.

The last 24 hours have been rough as I loved this TN 🏀 team. I truly thought we would beat Purdue. My son and I were planning on going to Phoenix for the final four. Idk what next yr looks like, but the window is closing for Barnes. He’s a great coach and had a great game plan, imo. It wasn’t our day to win.

I agree. I was probably too emotional and critical towards Aidoo. But it was frustrating to watch him fumble the ball. Meanwhile, you have other post players who can catch the ball and attack the rim. Maybe he will improve this summer.

Reactions: Vol737
Really? I think they've just stopped calling it
The O3 rule states that an offensive player cannot be in the lane for more than three seconds while his team has control of the ball. The count starts when the offensive player enters or is in the lane and his team has control of the ball in the frontcourt (if a player is in the lane and his team has control of the ball in the backcourt, there is no count). The count stops when a shot is taken, the player exits the lane or there is a loss of team control/possession (for example, a strip followed by the offensive team regaining control would start new count).

However, the rulebook also includes two actions the player in the lane can take to discontinue (or pause) the count:

1. If the player is in the act of shooting before or at the end of the third second, the count is discontinued while he is in continuous motion toward the basket, or
  2. If the player will imminently exit the lane, the count is discontinued until he exits.

If the player stops his continuous motion toward the basket or stops short of exiting the lane, respectively, the count resumes where it was discontinued.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Really? I think they've just stopped calling it
I can’t locate my original post but copied/pasted the rule. Basically, the player can stay in the lane for almost three seconds. If he makes a movement away from the lane, then the count is suspended and resets. Also, the count is suspended when a player shoots which enables the big man to rebound.

Supposedly the rule was changed to prevent collisions as big men were running quicker out of the lane, or collisions inside the circle (near goal). I don’t care for it as it enables a big guy to camp in the lane.

Purdue sent Edey up top and then into the paint with ten seconds on the shot clock. It reminded me of UVA and 7’4 Ralph Sampson in the early 1980’s. Ewing did the same thing as did Shaw and Olajuwon. The game has changed over the years, but Painter’s plan worked as Edey won the game for them.

I would’ve said TN won by 10 if you told me Purdue has less than four three balls and Edey with 40 points.

I hope State or UCONN wins it all as I now have a disdain for Purdue.

It amazes me how many people believe there’s an abundance of athletic, strong guys over seven feet. Name a few examples of such a person in the portal.
The only one I know of is Reuben Chinyelu at Wash State. 6-11, 270 or so with a 7-8 wingspan. Will be highly sought after.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Oh yeah, it’s looking like a major step back. Barring an insane pull from the transfer portal, I’m thinking more along the lines of an 8-11 seed, if not a 2019 style reboot year.
Call me crazy, but I don't think a "2019 style reboot year" is something we fans should be okay with at this point in Barnes tenure. He must keep us in the tournament yearly. At worst, the only thing we should accept is receiving a low seed during seasons in which we suspect we'll see us have next year.

The amount ignorance in this thread is astounding…the roster is not even close to being set for next season so we have no clue how they will look nor are we anywhere close to projecting what seed they might get. Lol

Simply ridiculous this has to be said in almost every thread pertaining to recruiting/portal that Barnes has been here…

Anyone in the portal like Cam Spencer? Kids basketball IQ is insane.

Omaha Biliew entered yesterday.​

No clue his bball IQ but he was highly thought of out of high school and the measurable fit the bill.

I'm surprised at the number of ISU guys in the portal already.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see if Barnes can assemble a team that can avoid the scoring droughts that continued to plague his program from time to time this year, that 12 point lead today that vanished in a Purdue 15-0 run was an expensive price to pay, to play tournament basketball you have to have a fairly complete team at all 5 positions, no more front line projects like Aidoo, his no show in Detroit was somewhat expected but nobody thought it would be that costly, Barnes' Achilles heel is a solid half court offensive game and the ability to develop big men at the 4 and 5,
I have heard more than once that to get to the Sweet Sixteen you need two outstanding players. To get to the Elite Eight, you need three. To get to the Final Four, you need four. And to win the whole thing, you need five (and a good bench as well).

And with the transfer portal, it is actually possible to get such a team fairly quickly. We shall see.

I have heard more than once that to get to the Sweet Sixteen you need two outstanding players. To get to the Elite Eight, you need three. To get to the Final Four, you need four. And to win the whole thing, you need five (and a good bench as well).

And with the transfer portal, it is actually possible to get such a team fairly quickly. We shall see.

Did the nun count as a couple of them?

VN Store

Back