Who has fallen the most?

Nebraska, Tennessee & Michigan have made a string of bad hires. 2 of them hired favorite son alumni.

Who has fallen the most: Michigan, Texas, Nebraska, or Tennessee
Michigan has fallen the most and Nebraska has failed worse than we have in rebuilding their program because they have had a good QB who has not given a lot of games away. Texas is the most surprising because they have recruited very well and have more money to throw around than any of the other three.
I must admit that I have enjoyed seeing Michigan and Penn State playing at a level even lower than we are. I think we would beat all four of the teams mentioned above if we played them in December. A games against Texas woul be the most competitive.

Nebraska was way better than us so they've probably fallen further because they started higher up.

We likely have a better path out. Butch, Dooley and Pruitt would be 2-10/3-9 at Nebraska. They have no recruiting base.

Nebraska was way better than us so they've probably fallen further because they started higher up.

We likely have a better path out. Butch, Dooley and Pruitt would be 2-10/3-9 at Nebraska. They have no recruiting base.
We went to the 1998 Orange Bowl & saw Nebraska whip the Vols. Best team I've ever seen from all aspects. Guess what happened the next season? I'd say Nebraska, followed by those others that have been mentioned.

We went to the 1998 Orange Bowl & saw Nebraska whip the Vols. Best team I've ever seen from all aspects. Guess what happened the next season? I'd say Nebraska, followed by those others that have been mentioned.
Those 90's Nebraska teams were amazing. I'll never forget them manhandling the Florida team that was our only loss in the Fiesta Bowl that year.

Reactions: feathersax
Nebraska.

Michigan needs to stop being a choice for this. I know what this season has looked like. I know they aren't competitive with Ohio State and that rivalry has become a joke. But, they had 4, 10 win seasons in the last decade. They generally finish the season ranked, go to bowl games, etc.

Sounds a lot like Florida in recent years, had some 10 win seasons but no conference championships.

Last edited:
Tennessee has fallen the farthest. Nebraska may have the hardest climb back up though.

Nebraska has a better record and has played in meaningful games since we fired Fulmer. Tennessee hasn’t done squat. Frost may fail there but Nebraska got their guy in their search. Look back at our coaching searches in comparison.

Reactions: Volatility
Who has fallen the most: Michigan, Texas, Nebraska, or Tennessee
Nebraska... it ain’t close either. They were THE dominant program in the 90s. Better than us. But what’s really depressing for them is that it ain’t coming back. They hired their dream coach and got worse...

Reactions: Volatility
Tennessee has fallen the farthest. Nebraska may have the hardest climb back up though.

Nebraska has a better record and has played in meaningful games since we fired Fulmer. Tennessee hasn’t done squat. Frost may fail there but Nebraska got their guy in their search. Look back at our coaching searches in comparison.

I don’t think Nebraska can replicate what they did in the 90’s. They can’t pull from Texas like when they were in the Big 12, they can’t take steroids anymore and they can’t rely on in-state talent, because there isn’t enough of it.

Barring a home run hire for HC, I don’t think they’ll compete for a Big 10 championship in the foreseeable future.

Tennessee Nebraska then Texas.

I mean really Mich is still a good program.....just not good this year.

But Texas has to be as bone headed at Tennessee......but they did go after high profile coaches.

They fire their football coach, they suck and he comes back and does well at a different school.

They fire their BB coach, and again they suck and their coach comes here and does well.

Lol Tennessee and UNC thanks you Texas.
And why is our bball team having so much success? Bc we ponied up the dough went out and hired a proven P5 WINNER. Why can’t the football team do the same

Reactions: JoAllan
I think Tennessee has fallen the most, and it isn't even close. Nebraska was decent as recently as the Bo Pelini era.

However, the school with the worst chance to return to the top is Nebraska. Recruiting is extremely difficult and poor conference fit.

I think Florida State needs to be in this conversation.
They aren't very far removed at all from their last good period. They won a national title just 7 years ago and finished in the top 10 just 4 years ago.

When this current 4-year run of ineptitude turns into 14, then they can enter the conversation.

I’d say Nebraska slightly over us. Hustlers have the $$$ to hire big time name thanks to B1G Network money and are in a BIG West division that them and Wisconsin should dominate and they have been celler dwellers. The history between NU &UT is similar and both have very large avid fan bases. Vols have the gauntlet of being in the SEC where your almost weekly playing top 20 teams. Our recent history of firing coaches seemingly every few seasons has top coaches weary of coming here anymore.

Michigan is never going to be Ohio State. If you wanna play in the big you wanna play for Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State or even Purdue is landing top recruits under Brohm.

Texas has the resources and money to get back with the right hire. Their biggest issue is trying to out recruit the SEC, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Ohio State.

Us, by a longshot. Since we fired Fulmer, we are 72-73.

Michigan is 92-54.
Texas is 89-61.
Nebraska is 86-62.

And here is all the data you need folks...

UT has fallen the most and I'm unsure how any of you could think otherwise.

And here is all the data you need folks...

UT has fallen the most and I'm unsure how any of you could think otherwise.
Except our schedule was miles tougher than any of those during the past ten years as well. We’ve played dozens of top 10-15 teams and an average of 6 or 7 ranked teams a year

With Phil Fulmer as AD....we will never be back. His arrogance/ego is involved in his hiring.

Nebraska due to the fact it's clear they really may never be back. At UT, you still see the potential there if they ever hire a good coach. The state itself is getting better and better in talent, and UT is still close to a lot of major recruiting grounds. Nebraska ain't. They're in the middle of nowhere basically. Plus SEC hype > Big 10 hype. Texas and Michigan though are by far in better shape than we have been lately though. They're not too far removed from playing in New Year 6 bowls.

Tennessee could come back by accident, sheesh, in today’s environment, nothing should surprise any American and I mean nothing!
Praying dem Vols can rebound!

VN Store

Back